Miracle On Ice 40 Years Ago Today

mrfury68

Reaction score
DXYVRL42D5GZXIKBPZIPXFYDUQ.jpg

It was 40 years ago today that the U.S. Men's Olympic Hockey Team upset the heavily favored Russian Red Army Team. It has been called the greatest sports moment of the 20th century. Team USA consisted of college age players who were assembled only seven months prior to the olympics. The Soviet team was amateur in name only who practiced and played year round. It was a moment I will remember the rest of my life. I was 17 years old in my senior year of high school. It was a real morale boost for the United States who at the time was suffering from high inflation, high unemployment, the cold war with the Soviet Union and 52 American hostages being held in Iran. USA! USA! USA!
:usflag:

Best sports memory ever!. I was fourteen and remember vividly the economic and political uncertainty of the time, It was definitely a nationwide morale booster followed by the win over Finland to secure the gold the following Sunday morning. The Iran hostages were released in Jan of '81 following Reagan's inauguration and the rebound of our economy. The good old days.

I remember like it was yesterday. Al Michael's call "do you believe in miracles?!!!!" Still sends chills down my spine. Great moment for our nation, what pride we had!

2004 Redsox for my father and I for purely selfish reasons, but until that moment it was definitely this. This moment transcended sports, history, generations, politics, you name it. To top it off, they still had to beat Finland for the gold medal! Again, similar to the Red Sox beating the Yankees, then having to go on and beat the Cardinals for the World Series. Team USA winning was/is tremendous.

Back