Mirror

Gavin Jeffrey

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am after a rear view mirror like the one pictured, the one in my 68 New Yorker is black with the horrible rubber surround.
I want to change it out for a 67 model one that are stainless with chrome stalk, and is it possible to replace the mirror glass in these mirrors.
Let me know what you have.
Thanks again.

Gavin.

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Normally I agree with Jer, but unless he knows something I don't (quite possible LOL), your usual glass shop won't be able to repair the prism glass the makes the day/night deal work.

I've never done business with these people, but I understand that they do good work. I was going to use their services, but after a little searching, I found a nicer mirror for a lot less $$ than I'll bet their services cost.

Ahh.the fugly black rear view mirror..One of the several Federally mandated ideas in 1968.
Along with the silver satin wiper arms, the black mirror was part of reducing glare against oncoming traffic..FYI
Sorry can't help you locating the 67 mirror.

Normally I agree with Jer, but unless he knows something I don't (quite possible LOL), your usual glass shop won't be able to repair the prism glass the makes the day/night deal work.

I've never done business with these people, but I understand that they do good work. I was going to use their services, but after a little searching, I found a nicer mirror for a lot less $$ than I'll bet their services cost.
John, you're probably right on that Prism little flipper thingy. For me that wouldn't be a deal breaker to live without it. More important to have a good clear mirror with no fly specks or scratches in it. If I find some idiot that's trying to blind me from behind, I have a cure for that to, lol. And if I get tail ended, I sick my shark in 'em for the pain and suffering check soon to follow, Jer

Last edited:
John, you're probably right on that Prism little flipper thingy. For me that wouldn't be a deal breaker to live without it. More important to have a good clear mirror with no fly specks or scratches in it. If I find some idiot that's trying to blind me from behind, I have a cure for that to, lol. And if I get tail ended, I sick my shark in 'em for the pain and suffering check soon to follow, Jer
Not sure about 1967..but the Day/Night Mirror feature was an OPTION in 1966 C's

I bet I have a decent one.:D
228A82B3-8F60-4353-8547-C5BE02C9C783.jpeg

Dang! And probably in better condition than I have in my stash of '66 mirrors.

Which leads me to ask, are they the same in '66 and '67?
Not sure and there are several different mirrors in that group but several are ‘67.

I’ll get them out later today and check sales record to see what I’ve been getting for them.

It looks like your mount and stem are in nice condition so I would sell just the mirror portion of any of these, + a couple more not pictured.
They are all used and not without a blemish or 2 in the mirror glass but all are usable. The nicest are $35 each and the ones with more blemishes are $25 each + shipping. You’ve inquired on several parts I have so if you want to talk package deal now might be a good time.
93A44E6C-1FC7-450A-A259-7DD09F1CC21F.jpeg
BB90C1F4-6E8A-4BF6-8DAA-5C997DB7057F.jpeg
9617C3F3-5993-46A7-9310-BABC46A212D1.jpeg
82921E39-C757-4E24-9DAE-409480CCEC92.jpeg

Any idea how to tighten the upper ball on a 67 mine just dangles. it looks good but it will not stay put. I took it off and tightened the screws but no joy. If not I am interested as well.

You could try a couple of things. Remove the steel plate, put a new bend on it and reinstall. That may work for the short term but could turn into something you need to revisit occasionally. I’ve also seen where some material was added underneath that steel plate with the three screws. Maybe spray some silicone at some heavy duty craft paper and sandwiches in there?
F1E16B56-B074-4AF5-ABC5-3DACF7820A06.jpeg

Any idea how to tighten the upper ball on a 67 mine just dangles. it looks good but it will not stay put. I took it off and tightened the screws but no joy. If not I am interested as well.
I usually put a glob of crazy glue on the ball,screw down the plate and move the ball around as the glue sets. Once hardened,good to go!
Credit Mr E-Booger for this tip!!
mR4575b_xplIxxf253L8BjLzMuUOGUO4fLCvGdfpwKpACdBu2L59GCQWgLPKgpmoMk0P4wCb2X9PYOLSIwuEStu7OkckgSYg.jpg

It looks like your mount and stem are in nice condition so I would sell just the mirror portion of any of these, + a couple more not pictured.
They are all used and not without a blemish or 2 in the mirror glass but all are usable. The nicest are $35 each and the ones with more blemishes are $25 each + shipping. You’ve inquired on several parts I have so if you want to talk package deal now might be a good time.
View attachment 354627 View attachment 354628 View attachment 354629 View attachment 354630
Hi,
I will take the best one you have, best chrome, mirror etc.
I have located a full set if the interior trims, so thanks for your help and time, I will be needing more items soon, I will let you know as I work it out.
Please let me know on postage and payment for the mirror.
Thanks
Gavin.

Back