Missing kickdown linkage parts '68 Newport with 1406 eddy

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm working on getting my '68 Newport back on the road. I've rebuild a lot of parts and I'm now at the point of reconnecting and setting the throttle and kickdown linkage. I tried setting it up as it was when I've bought the car, but that's definitely not the way it should've been... The previous owner ****** something up bigtime.

Parts:
- '68 383 BB engine
- TF727
- Semi stock kickdown linkage (arm from carb to back of engine is 2" longer than stock, rest is stock)
- Edelbrock DP4B intake
- Edelbrock 1406 4bbl carb

I seem to be missing some parts.
I'm missing the Edelbrock 1481 throttle lever adapter for sure. But am I missing more parts? It's pretty hard to find missing parts if it wasn't there when you've bought the car...

I've attached some pictures of the current parts. Are only the 1481 bracket and some springs missing? Or do I need more parts...

Ps. I do have a FSM. I get the general idea, but I've got the feeling that I'm missing a bit more than just the bracket...

IMG_20210525_215019.jpg

IMG_20210525_215035.jpg

IMG_20210525_215044.jpg

I think you are close. I had the same dilemma, but what was even more confusing was that my eddy had a Ford bracket:

A414BC65-266B-4E3D-A9FB-879DB8F90A95.jpeg
B086E26D-C118-455C-9B47-EE13470ED731.jpeg

Here it is with the correct 1481:
608AE629-EC36-4783-9408-0601A7F76C3B.jpeg

Mine are from ‘70, but I think this setup is has a similar kick down rod:

D9115714-C054-46BF-8922-20DCDBADA470.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I think you are close. I had the same dilemma, but what was even more confusing was that my eddy had a Ford bracket:

Here it is with the correct 1481:
View attachment 462014

Mine are from ‘70, but I think this setup is has a similar kick down rod:

View attachment 462016
Hope that helps.

Here’s a few pictures of the linkage on my 69 fury 383. View attachment 462052

Both thanks for the pictures!
Is the throttle cable connected to the same pin as the kickdown linkage? It's hard to see.

And do you both van cruise control, since you have two cables connected to the bracket? (upper cruise control and lower throttle cable?)

I will take a puc for you Marty of my 383 with Edyy intake and carb.
I used a /6 throttle cable (they are longer than a 2bbl cable and most 4bbl cables are hard to find) and scabbed up some 68 3 piece 4bbl kickdown linkage.
2bbl is different.
Your alternative given your location I would recommend a Lokar kickdown cable.
They are easy to install and adjustable at the carb end.
Hope this helps.

I will take a puc for you Marty of my 383 with Edyy intake and carb.
I used a /6 throttle cable (they are longer than a 2bbl cable and most 4bbl cables are hard to find) and scabbed up some 68 3 piece 4bbl kickdown linkage.
2bbl is different.
Your alternative given your location I would recommend a Lokar kickdown cable.
They are easy to install and adjustable at the carb end.
Hope this helps.

Thanks!.
Throttle cable seems long enough, might be swapped already?
Did you use a specific /6 cable or a generic one?

I've been thinking about using lokar cables.
Might try to fix it as-is first. If it still feels like crap I might switch to a lokar cable.
But thanks for the tip :)

Did you use a specific /6 cable or a generic one
A generic one from a Mopar scrap yard.
You will need a 4bbl throttle bracket that bolts to the intake.
The 2bbl bracket sits too far back for the 4bbl. Use can use it but does not bolt down the cable in the right spot.
Been there...

Got it fixed. Used the edelbrock bracket and modified it a bit to get the throttle and kick down working.

Adjusted the kickdown as described by Pat Blais.
Got full kickdown and throttle movement. I didn't have a kickdown sping so I used a temporary fix :p

IMG_20210608_221424.jpg

IMG_20210608_220522.jpg

IMG_20210608_220436.jpg

Hi all,

I'm working on getting my '68 Newport back on the road. I've rebuild a lot of parts and I'm now at the point of reconnecting and setting the throttle and kickdown linkage. I tried setting it up as it was when I've bought the car, but that's definitely not the way it should've been... The previous owner ****** something up bigtime.

Parts:
- '68 383 BB engine
- TF727
- Semi stock kickdown linkage (arm from carb to back of engine is 2" longer than stock, rest is stock)
- Edelbrock DP4B intake
- Edelbrock 1406 4bbl carb

I seem to be missing some parts.
I'm missing the Edelbrock 1481 throttle lever adapter for sure. But am I missing more parts? It's pretty hard to find missing parts if it wasn't there when you've bought the car...

I've attached some pictures of the current parts. Are only the 1481 bracket and some springs missing? Or do I need more parts...

Ps. I do have a FSM. I get the general idea, but I've got the feeling that I'm missing a bit more than just the bracket...

View attachment 461969

View attachment 461970

View attachment 461971
2 adapters it looks like you need. Edelbrock makes these specifically for Mopars.
The Edelbrock #1843 is a carb linkage adapter for Mopars. Edelbrock 1843 Edelbrock Throttle Lever Adapters for Performer Carburetors | Summit Racing
The Edelbrock 8004 will extend your kickdown linkage if you need to depending on the linkage design. Edelbrock 8004 Edelbrock Intake Manifold Installation Accessories | Summit Racing
Just a note: the back of the kickdown lever slot should be touching the pin at idle. At full throttle the lever on the transmission should be in the wide open position.
Edelbrock 1843.jpg

edelbrock 8004.jpg

mopar kickdown linkage2.JPG

Mopar kickdown linkage.jpeg

Last edited:
FYI - in the 3-piece KD setup, the vertical rod that goes from engine to underneath is different between B and RB. If you use the wrong rod, things won't sync with FT for the carb and FT kickdown at the trans. DAMHIK.

This rod:
1655230248621.png

Back