Miz Ruby's brake booster woes, pt duex.

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
So today I started changing out the defective booster.
Had enough time to pull the master cylinder, and here's what I found.

Based on the FSM illustrations, the filter housing was installed upside down on the booster. Who ever installed the master cylinder simply shoved the retaining screw assembly into the filter and tightened things down.
This is what I found...
000_0076[1].JPG

000_0078[1].JPG

^^^ Am I 'F'd"????
The master cylinder shaft popped out with the cylinder but for now it's pushed into the booster.
000_0079[1].JPG

I have access to a Kelsey Hays type booster NIB but missing the "air filter" gasket according to the FSM
Will the KH booster exchange with the MR here? Or is the brake pedal position different?
Can I use or locate the gasket used on the Kelsey Hays?
So many questions, meanwhile, I'm preparing to do a dual master cylinder change over and fix my steering coupler install.

The bellows has a tear about an inch long where it meets and wraps around the housing. Source of vacuum leak found!

I recently was educated that the rod out of the booster into the master vines in and out. Is not secured. Additionally the filter can be bought just Google Midland Ross booster filter. Ford used them too, they are listed for mustang's.

I need a filter but I need the casting mount more. Ebay has a couple but not sure it they'll fit. Are all Mopar filter housings the same?

Ordered the casting off ebay. Seller was cool, said I could return without a restock if it didn't fit. It looks the same.
Ordered the filters off West Coast classic Cougars.

Lastly, bought an adjustable proportioning valve off from Jegs.

Now I play the wait game...

Last edited:
Yup...
000_0080[1].JPG

It appears it was rebuilt here...
000_0082[1].JPG

Back