Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody?

SportFury70

Reaction score
Hi All,

As some or many may know my stepfather and I are mainly into the C-bodies, but my stepfather also has one B-body and is building a 1966 Dodge Charger with a big block 383. Here is the build thread on FBBO if anyone wants to follow it. So It Begins, 1966 Charger Restification.. We have the engine mainly together and basically all we have left is the air conditioning, condenser, and radiator. I maybe missing a couple of things too if I remember right, anyway our plan is to put modern air conditioning in and NOT use the big and heavy RV2 to save a bit of weight and get cooler air. We are thinking of buying the Stage 2 Performance Kit from Original Air for $850.00, here is a picture and the link. We are looking for suggestions opinions and what have you about modern air conditioning prices and such, is there anything a bit cheaper than $850.00 with what we are looking for. Anybody? Any help, knowledge etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone
0019548_66-70-chargersatellite-ac-performance-upgrade-kit-big-block-stage-2.jpeg

https://www.originalair.com/66-70-b...0-134a-engine-compartment-upgrade-kit-stage-2

One thing I forgot to mention, we would like to keep the interior controls and dash ducting original and not mess with them.

I did mine using parts sourced from Bouchillon. Everything works with the original controls/ductwork etc. If I was to do it again, I might spring for a better compressor, but the one I have works well.

I used Bouchillon parts to modernize in my fury and would do again for an original AC car to support a Mopar vendor. My charger wasn't an ac car, it's got vintage air in it I think. Or classic air.

I used Bouchillon for the brackets and hoses and fittings on my under hood modern conversion on my 68 T/C wagon..the Sanden compressor I sourced my self, went with a SD7H15/HD that I found an older one in the original box off ebay for $75! Then went with the largest universal cross flow condensor I could make work. The original underdash and dash system is original and works fine.

My opinion is if you can upgrade to modern compressor and components without using computer controls that are included in many kits, you will be better off.
I went with Classic Air. It was easy to install and tech support was mostly good, but with hardly using the car and after three years im on my third water valve and I've been charged for every one ive had to order

I did mine using parts sourced from Bouchillon. Everything works with the original controls/ductwork etc. If I was to do it again, I might spring for a better compressor, but the one I have works well.

What compressor did you use? Is it just that you want more capacity, or some other reason?

$850 sounds pretty steep. The VintageAir Mk IV system I put in the wagon was complete for that price.

Does it include the conversion fittings for the firewall? Also if they offer Aeroquip EZ Clip hoses and fittings as an option, pay the upcharge. Absolutely foolproof no leaks first time every time and fast to assemble. Click click and your done.

Kevin

My wagon has dual factory A/C, I did an underhood conversion with a modern compressor and condenser but left the stock dual evaporator and controls, not too tough or expensive, but do not let cost be your only factor. My setup is still working great a year later. Take a look at my conversion thread: 66 Monaco Wagon A/C Resurrection

What compressor did you use? Is it just that you want more capacity, or some other reason?
I used one that Bouchilon sold.

I'm not sure on the quality... I have a very slow leak that I can't find that I think may be in the compressor. After reading Stan's thread, I also wonder about capacity.

When I talked with Bouchilon they said they only sell us made sandens and explained they make them in various Geo's, so I'd be surprised if you got a bum one from them

When I talked with Bouchilon they said they only sell us made sandens and explained they make them in various Geo's, so I'd be surprised if you got a bum one from them
When I bought mine, it wasn't a US made Sanden. In fact he told me that the offshore one I bought from him was just as good as a genuine Sanden.

Hearing this irritates me a little... He didn't stock Sanden. I wanted to buy a Sanden, but got talked out of it.

That's strange. I dealt with them in 2011/12 on mine, very possible what sanden is doing is different now

That's strange. I dealt with them in 2011/12 on mine, very possible what sanden is doing is different now
This was around 2014.

Probably used to sell Sanden and had to source from off shore to keep his prices competitive with the others.

Back when I was looking there were a lot of good deals on sandens on eBay, trick was to ask for photos of Id tag to verify model and place of manufacture

Back