Mold

TNT_wagon

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with removing mold from interior parts-dash, door panels, etc?
I've read white vinegar works and will prevent future growth.
But I never see details, like what NOT to use it on, dilution, and so on.

i use an ozone generator and a damp cloth with dish soap.
the ozone generator kills mold, spores and bacteria. and smell

Some APC and a steam cleaner will get rid of it all. I use a McCullough Professional steamer and some "purple" APC from O'Reillys.

I had some develop when we had a wet and humid summer. I also left the windows open while in the garage. Won’t do that again. Anyways, I used white vinegar in spray bottle to Start. Let it sit for 10-15 mins. Then wiped. It all disseapered. For extra measure. I then used dawn dish soap, with couple drops of pine sol w, two drops of bleach in small bucket. Rewashed and towel dried. 2 years strong and no more problems. I also now keep some “damp rid” hanging in car in case moisture is trapped. No - it did not change my blue seats to camouflage.

Although this group of cleaners is not new I only recently started paying attention to them. Quats are ammonium salt based "disinfectants"/fungicides/mold control. I see most have base name of benzyl ammonium chloride. (as apposed tp sodium hypochlorite = bleach) Below are few links. These are supposed to much gentler than bleaches but still do a great job. For me I was impressed when i used a brand of no-rinse "bleach free" house cleaner/siding washer that contained this chemical. Sprayed it on and let it evaporate. Maybe an hour later no mold on the house. Also on pavement. Not quick like bleach. I was very impressed plus as a bonus because its a salt all the slugs stopped making shiny tracks on my patio and house. You could test with Clorox Wipes which actually dont use bleach! The brands pitched as house cleaners are way more expensive than the "disinfectants" line but use the same ingredient.

OdoBan 1 Gal. Eucalyptus Disinfectant and Odor Eliminator, Fabric Freshener, Mold Control, Multi-Purpose Cleaner Concentrate 911061-G - The Home Depot
Theochem Laboratories 1 GA-Gallon In-Cide, Ready to Use Disinfectant All-Purpose Cleaner 500158-g - The Home Depot

In my industry, we stay away from using bleach for cleaning any type of microbial growth. Botanical cleaners (thymol and lemon based) are a great alternative to bleach and should do the trick without any harsh side effects to you or the material.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
It sure looks like I have a lot of choices!
bnz84-what was the stuff you used on your siding---IN-CIDE or OdoBan?
I've got some stuff growing on a garage I could use that on.
I'm just trying to be careful and not ruin my interior.
I may try some vinegar in a spray bottle first. I read somewhere that it actually kills the spores.
Automotive interior cleaning wipes and spray would always remove it, but it keeps returning.

the only prob with using spray cleaners is that it only works on the areas that get sprayed......
using the ozone generator kills all the mold and spores through out the car - in the heating system - the vents, heating and cooling ducts, headliner, carpet, underlay / insulation, inside the dash, inside the seats etc. even the inside of the trunk when its left operating inside the car.

Last edited:
Hydrogen peroxide works on mold, mildew, and fungus too. I just started using that in the shower instead of bleach.

the only prob with using spray cleaners is that it only works on the areas that get sprayed......
using the ozone generator kills all the mold and spores through out the car - in the heating system - the vents, heating and cooling ducts, headliner, carpet, underlay / insulation, inside the dash, inside the seats etc. even the inside of the trunk when its left operating inside the car.

Do you have any recommendations on an O3 generator? I have been looking into these things lately. However was turned off when I looked on Amazon - typical no-name chineseum, with many reviewers stating that it arrived broken, etc..

Last edited:
Hydrogen peroxide works on mold, mildew, and fungus too. I just started using that in the shower instead of bleach.

Do you have any recommendations on an O3 generator? I have been looking into these things lately. However was turned off when I looked on Amazon - typical no-name chineseum, with many reviewers stating that it arrived broken, etc..
Some rental companies have them (Sunbelt, herc, etc.) for a pretty decent price. Much better equipment than the Chineseium Amazon crap.

we'd rent them occasionally but found we'd have to extend the rental time to make sure the smell was totally gone.
we found this unit which has more power than the ones generally available to rent, so we bought it.
its made in Canada, no chinesium.

i split the cost of it with my buddy that i go on car adventures with, he has alot more cars than i do - hes got so many that some dont get driven for a couple of years so they can start to get abit whiffy......
we have been really happy with the results, much better than from the rental units. at least double the output if not triple.

my 72 Monaco had been parked in a shed from 96 to 2022 when i got it, it had a pretty nasty odour from mice/mold.
did a couple of treatments for a couple of days and nearly a year later there is still no smell.
and thats with the carpet and headliner still in place.

1100ATB-300.jpg

PRO 1100 ozone generator, 1100mg/hr, 6 yr warranty. Timer, voltage, and adjustment options.

Base price CAN$669.95
Features/Options:
Add Replacement Filters Add CAN$6.95
Add T36, or T7D timer No Timer Added
Quantity : 1
Price: CAN$676.90

UV PRO 1100 ozone generator | Crystal Air Products & Services

total inc shipping & tax was 784CDN$ which is about $569US

I've read white vinegar works and will prevent future growth.
But I never see details, like what NOT to use it on, dilution, and so on.

Don't use the distilled vinegar! Use cleaning vinegar! It's 20% stronger out of the bottle than the **** you make salad dressing with. A good 50/50 mix would be a good start. Good Luck

we'd rent them occasionally but found we'd have to extend the rental time to make sure the smell was totally gone.
we found this unit which has more power than the ones generally available to rent, so we bought it.
its made in Canada, no chinesium.

i split the cost of it with my buddy that i go on car adventures with, he has alot more cars than i do - hes got so many that some dont get driven for a couple of years so they can start to get abit whiffy......
we have been really happy with the results, much better than from the rental units. at least double the output if not triple.

my 72 Monaco had been parked in a shed from 96 to 2022 when i got it, it had a pretty nasty odour from mice/mold.
did a couple of treatments for a couple of days and nearly a year later there is still no smell.
and thats with the carpet and headliner still in place.

View attachment 586669

PRO 1100 ozone generator, 1100mg/hr, 6 yr warranty. Timer, voltage, and adjustment options.

Base price CAN$669.95
Features/Options:
Add Replacement Filters Add CAN$6.95
Add T36, or T7D timer No Timer Added
Quantity : 1
Price: CAN$676.90

UV PRO 1100 ozone generator | Crystal Air Products & Services

total inc shipping & tax was 784CDN$ which is about $569US
How is your machine holding up?

It works just fine, no probs, used it last week in an 81 trans am with cloth interior which had been parked for 15 yrs.
the 72 Monaco's interior was a bit musty smelling since I did it last year, but no mouse pee stink so I gave it another treatment.
pretty happy with the machine

Back