Mopar Spring Fling

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever been to Mopar Spring Fling in Van Nuys at Woodley park? I just heard its this next weekend. Are there usually Forward Look cars there too? Anyone here ever found a good deal on a nice driver there?

I've never been and am considering going if I don't find something before then.just curious as to what it's like and if there are good deals there.

Yes, it is next weekend, April 23-24. There are usually very few C body or forward look cars at any California show I have attended, but there are some. All the other mopar bodies are there in big numbers, from A to E - just not many C. There are sometimes some pretty good deals on parts and sometimes on project cars, but most parts and projects again are not C body related. Jay Leno usually shows up at some point with something, but not always every year. You will see maybe 10 forward look cars and maybe another 10 C bodies, that is about all. It is a 2 day show, with parts being sold mostly on the first day along with a good amount of cars showing up and then Sunday is the car show day when even more cars show up, and fewer parts sales. Sunday is probably the better day to see most of the better cars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.sorry there aren't more forward looks,and C bodies for you either.
What has Leno brought in the past?
Guess I shouldnt get my hopes up looking for a fin car there.

Speaking of C bodies I know where there is a 1977 Dodge Monaco 2dr thats been sitting for years,it's got the retractable headlight covers.

For a while my buddies and I were going every year. Its a great show and we always thought it was worth the flight from Washington, DC to Los Angeles. One of these days we'll make it back. There are definitely "Forward Look" cars there and sometimes very rare and very cool examples. That show is the only place I've seen the rare 1960 Dodge Polara convertibles and I've seen two different ones there over the years. My favorite Forward Look car that I remember seeing there was a 58 Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon with factory dual quads.
Always interesting to see what Jay Leno drives in with. By the way, plan on attending both days as many cars that come on Saturday don't return on Sunday and on Sunday there will be cars that didn't show up on Saturday.

Here are links to some of the photos I took over the years (also includes pics from LA area cruise ins we attended while we were there):

2006 or 2007
Spring Fling by the Lake 2006 or 7 ? | Facebook

Spring Fling California '08 Album 2 | Facebook

Spring Fling California '08 Album 1 | Facebook

2009 Spring Fling California Album 4 | Facebook

2009 Spring Fling California Album 3 | Facebook

2009 Spring Fling California Album 2 | Facebook

2009 Spring Fling California Album 1 | Facebook

And heres a few pictures a buddy took at the 2012 show
Spring Fling 2012 | Facebook

Thanks for the info.sorry there aren't more forward looks,and C bodies for you either.
What has Leno brought in the past?

Jay drove one of the few remaining 1963 Chrysler turbine cars, a steam car, and I do recall a big custom roadster with a big engine in it one time too. He has so many wierd cars, you can never guess what he ends up bringing. The turbine car was pretty interesting - it sounded like a big vacuum cleaner and put out a ton of exhaust flow. He draws a crowd whenever he shows.

Thanks Jim 68 Cuda,I will check out the links. I am going to try and be there both days. I have always wanted a 1960 Polara...The convertibles are amazing. Never seen one in real life.
Have you ever seen any nice unrestored forwards there? 1958 is my favorite year for plymouth. I love all their wagons,especially the two doors. Chysler had some amazing 4 dr hardtop wagons.

Jay drove one of the few remaining 1963 Chrysler turbine cars, a steam car, and I do recall a big custom roadster with a big engine in it one time too. He has so many wierd cars, you can never guess what he ends up bringing. The turbine car was pretty interesting - it sounded like a big vacuum cleaner and put out a ton of exhaust flow. He draws a crowd whenever he shows.
Wow,I would have loved to have seen the turbine car. It's a shame none of the forward look turbines survived.
I have the hardback book on a Chryslers turbine cars by Steve lento,it's fascinating to learn how the project developed and they overcame heat and metallurgy problems only to have the project come to an end.
If you go on YouTube there is an episode of Jay Lenos garage all about the Turbine car he owns.
Man,if I was Leno I would have one of every Forward Look model ever made.

Thanks Jim 68 Cuda,I will check out the links. I am going to try and be there both days. I have always wanted a 1960 Polara...The convertibles are amazing. Never seen one in real life.
Have you ever seen any nice unrestored forwards there? 1958 is my favorite year for plymouth. I love all their wagons,especially the two doors. Chysler had some amazing 4 dr hardtop wagons.

Yes I have, but it has been a few years since I've gone to that show. Check out the photos. One unrestored survivor that sticks out in my memory was a gold and white 57 Dodge Custom Sierra wagon.
By the way, if my buddies and I can fly out to California from the east coast to attend that show, you west coasters should certainly plan to fly east for the Chrysler show at Carlisle in July. One friend does just that. He flies from LA, into Washington's Dulles Airport and rents a car for the weekend. Carlisle is only a two hour drive from Dulles and its alot cheaper to fly into IAD Dulles or BWI Baltimore Washington Airport than flying into Harrisburg, PA. Spring Fling is a great show, but is only a fraction of the size of the Carlisle show.

Wow,I would have loved to have seen the turbine car.

You're in California. Can't you just go over to the Petersen Museum in LA and see the Chrysler Turbine they have on display? I'm assuming they still have it on display. Of course thats not the same as seeing and hearing the car being driven.

Spring Fling is the best all Mopar Show and Swap meet on the West Coast. We always drive down from Seattle. This year they are having a mini-Aero Car Meet with 27 Wing Cars and 2 Charger 500s committed to coming. I'm driving down in a Daytona with a Superbird and a 500. Always a fun road trip.

The Spring Fling is the biggest and best all Mopar show on the West Coast. With you being in CA, it should be a no-brainer to attend. I was also there why Jay drove the Turbine car over. That was a treat. I posted some pics in Post #2 in this thread: Curtiss Wright Air Car and Chrysler Jet Car

I also took home some hardware in 2011. My '65 300 Convertible won its Class: 300 & 300 Letter Car Stock. I beat out some very impressive Forward Look 300's and was SHOCKED in doing so.

Head down and check it out. You'll be happy you did.

If the transmission is done on my 60 phoenix I will drive down in that. Maybe I can finally find a decent glitter wheel to replace my damaged one.

Probably have a better chance at that at Chrysler Carlisle in July and Fall Hershey in October. But you would need to fly to the east coast for those events. Alot more vendors though than you'll find at Spring Fling.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Spring Fling is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!

gonna do the cruise on Friday with my '66 Newport and if i can get the rear end into it in time, ill take the 440 Duster on Sat / Sun. If not, itll the the Newport all weekend ; )

image.jpg

Probably have a better chance at that at Chrysler Carlisle in July and Fall Hershey in October. But you would need to fly to the east coast for those events. Alot more vendors though than you'll find at Spring Fling.

Sad thing is I saw one AFTER it sold on eBay about 8 months ago in my cars color,green,for for only $500 in near mint conditon. A recast alone is like $1,590 and I can't find anyone willing to do glitter wheels anymore

Sad thing is I saw one AFTER it sold on eBay about 8 months ago in my cars color,green,for for only $500 in near mint conditon. A recast alone is like $1,590 and I can't find anyone willing to do glitter wheels anymore
Quality Restorations did the wheel for my CHP car, it looks like they do glitter wheels.
http://qualityrestorations.com/

I'll be at Spring Fling in the swap with my 70 Dodge Truck and whatever parts I can load up.

Alan

Quality Restorations did the wheel for my CHP car, it looks like they do glitter wheels.
http://qualityrestorations.com/

I'll be at Spring Fling in the swap with my 70 Dodge Truck and whatever parts I can load up.

Alan

Thanks for the tip. I had called a place called Kochs and he said they won't mess with glitter wheels anymore. I just looked at this link and they show the 60 plymouth areo wheel so I'm sure they will do a dodge.

Yes, it is next weekend, April 23-24. There are usually very few C body or forward look cars at any California show I have attended, but there are some. All the other mopar bodies are there in big numbers, from A to E - just not many C. There are sometimes some pretty good deals on parts and sometimes on project cars, but most parts and projects again are not C body related. Jay Leno usually shows up at some point with something, but not always every year. You will see maybe 10 forward look cars and maybe another 10 C bodies, that is about all. It is a 2 day show, with parts being sold mostly on the first day along with a good amount of cars showing up and then Sunday is the car show day when even more cars show up, and fewer parts sales. Sunday is probably the better day to see most of the better cars.

While there are more A/B/E bodies, I don't know of many shows west of the Mississippi that you'll find more Forward Look and C-bodies.

And don't forget there will be different cars on Saturday than Sunday. So if you see 10 C-bodies on Saturday and Sunday, you'll probably see 15 different cars.

Here's some C's and forward look's from last year. One memorable one was a 4 speed 383 Wagon for sale! And a 1972 440 Dodge California Highway Patrol car.

SF15SteveSunSm056.JPG

SF15SteveSunSm052.JPG

SF15SteveSunSm153.JPG

SF15SteveSunSm155.JPG

SF15SteveSunSm156.JPG

SF15SteveSunSm157.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

Last edited:
Back