Mopar's Doomsday Hemi

As I understand it, the "Ball Stud Hemi" was more like 1972 projected production date.

The "Doomsday Hemi" being mentioned was more similar to the Ford SOHC 427 from mid-year 1964. Seems like I remember an article/blurb on it being in a '65 Galaxie that Ford was letting media types have "behind the grandstand rides:" in at the 1965 Indy 500? There were a small amount of SOHC 427s produced, but not put into cars at the factory. I remember seeing one in a jet boat (on its trailer) in the earlier '70s.

In the earlier '60s, I believe that many Indy car type V-8s were dohc, 4 valve/cylinder engines. With the requisite "pent roof" chamber? Which I believe that Ford had some of when they were beating Ferraris on the track.

With the Ford SOHC 427 outlawed by NASCAR, the referenced Chrysler DOHC 426 Hemi would have been too, most possibly. Especially if other GM divisions (who might have been in NASCAR at that time) didn't have competitive engi

The "ball stud Hemi" got its name from the use of "ball studs" to mount the rocker arms, rather than rocker shafts? Which also could have allowed for some different valve stem angles in the head, for possibly upgraded flow ports, but during that time, cleaner exhaust emissions had to be considered, plus COST, so the wedge motors continued on as the HEMI faded out of the production picture.

But when 4-valve/cylinder engines became fashionable for their power and tuning potential, as turbos were not good on cold start emissions, then here came Chrysler with the 3.5L V-6 family of engines. And the later 4.7L V-8s.

Thanks for posting that vid link!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Is that what they called the ball-stud Hemi?
No, the dual overhead cam hemi was a design of the mid 1960's where the camshafts replaced the rocker gear. The ball stud hemi used pressed rockers that were bolted down though the middle of them and was done specifically as a cost saving measure when Chrysler was looking to make the engine cheaper into the mid 70's. It never reached production as Hemis in production cars finished at the end of 1971.

Back