More '66 Convertible Questions

Boomer

Reaction score
Getting surprisingly close to closing the deal on a '66 convertible. 'Surprising' because the wife actually wants me to get it. I do have to get rid of another vehicle in the future, once everything is here. Probably my old tractor. But having grown up with a convertible as one of the family cars, it's an experience I'd really like my daughter to enjoy.

This particular car has been stored in a container or trailer truck body since 1986 according to the seller & last inspection sticker. As a result, it needs all the baseline work done, like gas tank, fluids including brakes, A/C, and apparently the top hydraulics. When they tried to operate the roof, the pump ran but no workie. Then they found a puddle beneath.

Curious to know a couple things:

First, what's the best place to get replacement hoses and cylinders, as/if needed? Seller said he thinks one of the hoses is leaking. I figure worse case, it would need new hoses and cylinders if it's gummed up badly, maybe the pump, too.

Second - I've been reading that brake fluid was originally used as hydraulic fluid (makes sense - hydraulic brakes and all) but that it was a good idea to use ATF if you had to repair the system. Obviously this would require a means of flushing out anything that doesn't get replaced. Wondering if anyone has done that or, like my buddy with his '65 Imp, it's never been a problem.

Hadn't expected anything to come along quite so soon after sending the Road Shark to its new home, but I guess stranger things have happened. Wife wanted to look at cars with me online, and the next thing I knew....here we are.

Thanks John - downloaded the manual somewhere but can't find which folder it's in. Duh.

Good to know about the fluids. Thought I had read online that they changed over to ATF in the mid-late 60s, which is why I asked that. Yes, I've seen the effects of a little spilled brake fluid on car paint before. Works better than furniture paint stripper. Down to the bare metal in no time.

Did find Hydro and another company called ConvertibleTopGuys or something like that. Both looked similar in product and price. Trying to avoid any businesses that are known problems with customer service, shipping, etc. I think Hydro sells on ebay, too.

I would think that any hydro shop near you should be able to twist up some new hoses for you. I can't remember if NAPA does that as well?

Now that would be cool if NAPA or something similar could make them up in house. I think a set online is around $80 or so which isn't a huge amount. Also read that one chain, maybe Advance Auto(?) was still stocking one hose.

Made a deposit on the beast tonight, so it looks like it's going to happen. Won't start buying parts until the paperwork is in hand which will take a few days. Car has been in storage since '86, too old for titling in its state but needs to be registered. Need to call VA DMV as well tomorrow for anything else I need beyond bill of sale & reg.

Brake fluid was used up into the later 1960s for convertible top hydraulics. There is a "convertible top fluid" which some of the convertible top parts vendors sell. You can get the cylinders re-worked and the seals changed to the modern fluid-compatible ones, plus the hoses.

Key thing is to use what the FSM states in the existing system. Later, you can probably find a hydraulics place that can rebuild your cylinders and replace the hoses with non-brake fluid items. Pump probably needs a rebuild or replacement, too. Current replacement pumps I've seen advertised look nothing like the originals, but work in their place. Pump needs to be compatible with the fluids used in the system, too.

Very NEAT car! Treat it well!

CBODY67

Well, a lot happened with the deal from the last post. Had a potentially life-altering medical issue that came up and required a quick trip to Johns Hopkins to confirm or disprove. Fortunately it was the latter. Another check next Wed to hopefully put it all to rest.

Had already sent payment for the car a couple days earlier and it had just arrived. I ended up asking the seller to send back the payment since I didn't want to saddle my wife and 4 yr old daughter with another old car project if I wasn't here to deal with it, which he graciously did. After I got the green light to go on with life I sent payment back and things are moving forward.

Still somewhat stunned. Was just looking around with the good wife to get some idea of her tastes in old cars when she saw the Imperial and more or less said 'get that one'. She didn't need to twist my arm.

Thanks for all the convertible fluid tips. At this point I'll wait until the car is here before firing off more questions so I at least have a basic understanding of what I'm dealing with. The first thing I intend to do is get all the fluids changed as well as the gas tank & sender, having just spent numerous hours beside the road up north in an old car with bad gas. This one has had the same issue but is running now. Not willing to take the chance, though.

Back