More instrument panel voltage limiter questions

66furys

Reaction score
Finally have come up with some videos on the subject that really help, esp on the operation of the gauges with the limiter. And, finally figured out how to tell which is in and out on these things thanks to previous smart guys. I have not found what folks think about the use of the condenser/capacitor that is OEM on the ignition terminal to damp the voltage spikes. So, when I now use a new limiter, input directly to it and output to the gauges.....what about the condenser. I am thinking of moving it to the 12v input on the new limiter. Although, I will say that it is working as I think intended now w/o the condenser.....voltage on and off, allowing the proper heating of the gauge resistors. Just thought I would ask for more help from the smart folks on this one.

I believe the capacitor was to eliminate radio interference from the opening and closing of the points in the old thermal voltage limiters. The electronic "limiters" actually provide regulate voltage without the RF interference. Mine is operating just fine without the capacitor. Only difference noted is that the gauges respond more slowly when powered up- no big deal. Lindsay

I believe the capacitor was to eliminate radio interference from the opening and closing of the points in the old thermal voltage limiters. The electronic "limiters" actually provide regulate voltage without the RF interference.
^This^

The only thing I'll add is that the interference is mostly on the AM band of the radio.

Yah...at the moment I am trying the old style....electronic seems best. But, if only for interference and not to act as the one in the distro does, to prevent arching and sparking, and level things out.....I will not worry. Thanks guys for help.

Back