Most disappointing Battery setup I've seen, lately..

hqdefault.jpg
GAWD and the sideview mirror JJJEEEEEEEZZZ!
Yah, a real class act.

Screenshot_2017-03-28-09-19-29-723.jpeg

I think there's a lot to like about that car.

I really like the seats. I know they aren't stock, but they are very tasteful and look to be done well. The wheels are different and I think they work.

Stuff like the mirrors are minor... They can be changed.

I always look at this stuff and try not to be too critical. The car is someone's pride and joy. It's not sitting in some garage... They are out enjoying it.

The car does look good. But I'm wondering why it has a side battery connector on it to begin with. Did they have to replace that cable and that was the only type available? And fwiw, I use battery disconnects on all my 3 classics.

I really like the seats. I know they aren't stock, but they are very tasteful and look to be done well. The wheels are different and I think they work.

I always look at this stuff and try not to be too critical. The car is someone's pride and joy. It's not sitting in some garage... They are out enjoying it.
I usually do too... sorry, panties unbunched.

I thought the seats looked Original. They are the same pattern as my 68 Polara (D-L)benches.

Nothing on this that cannot be fixed. Undoing the spray paint dash would be the most complex. But he is driving it. If I had the means and E-bay back in High School. I may have done some of the same Lipstick treatments.

IMG_5280.PNG
IMG_5281.PNG

Original seat Mine are the red ones. If the white have been redone. They are in the style of the original.

I thought they weren't the stock pattern, but now I see they are. Either way, I really like the seats. The white and red is just a good combo.

Lets not forget about resistance, if that's the right word? I've never 100% understood auto electrical, but to me, this is like joining two climbing ropes with a length of sewing thread. maybe not that bad, just an example. It also bugs me how much effort (not a lot but some) went into cobbling this set-up together when the proper part (green knob shown previously) is readily available at almost any parts store. They're ten bucks up here in Canada, so I'm guessing they're what, five, three bucks? down there.

Last edited:
If the disconnect was flipped around so that the gate when open was on the dead side it would be a little less risky.

Lets not forget about resistance, if that's the right word? I've never 100% understood auto electrical, but to me, this is like joining two climbing ropes with a length of sewing thread. maybe not that bad, just an example. It also bugs me how much effort (not a lot but some) went into cobbling this set-up together when the proper part (green knob shown previously) is readily available at almost any parts store. They're ten bucks up here in Canada, so I'm guessing they're what, five, three bucks? down there.

About $.75..

The car does look good. But I'm wondering why it has a side battery connector on it to begin with. Did they have to replace that cable and that was the only type available? And fwiw, I use battery disconnects on all my 3 classics.

I will bet that was the only switch available at Walmart that day. That switch was made for a side terminal battery and it snowballed from there.

A blade switch will have minimal resistance, which will lead to good current flow across the contacts. For that, it actually is a good choice. It's also faster and easier to disconnect... The issue I would have with it is that it's a lot of exposed, non-insulated metal sitting up by the battery. The idea is good... In this case, the execution is bad.

Too hard to use a wrench and disconnect the negative battery clamp.
My car had some nice "over center" type battery clamps on it when I got it. No wrench required. They were actually pretty nice and I kept them for a while. I had a bad starter cable and replaced both cables. The one thing I didn't like about them was they were a clamp on type connection for the wire. If it had been a solder on connection, I would have put the old clamps on the new cable.

Too your point... Being able to quickly disconnect the power from the car is a pretty good idea. There's a reason NHRA mandated the battery switches back in the 70's. Let's face it, most of us still have 40-50 (or more) year old wiring in our cars. I'll always run some sort of quick disconnect or switch. It goes hand in hand with the fire extinguisher.

My car had some nice "over center" type battery clamps on it when I got it. No wrench required. They were actually pretty nice and I kept them for a while. I had a bad starter cable and replaced both cables. The one thing I didn't like about them was they were a clamp on type connection for the wire. If it had been a solder on connection, I would have put the old clamps on the new cable.

Too your point... Being able to quickly disconnect the power from the car is a pretty good idea. There's a reason NHRA mandated the battery switches back in the 70's. Let's face it, most of us still have 40-50 (or more) year old wiring in our cars. I'll always run some sort of quick disconnect or switch. It goes hand in hand with the fire extinguisher.

Agree about the NHRA rule.

But this guy has created a bigger fire risk....

I always leave my neg battery terminal ever-so-slightly loose so it can be twisted off. Put it back on with a twist to get a decent connection.

Is it the best? No. But that method has served me for 20+ years without announcing itself to be a problem.

Back