Motor mounts for '66 NY/440

Hugh

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with where to find motor mounts for my '66 NY with a 440 ci? Interchange from later years/tricks/etc.? Thanks

Any parts store should have them - they are the same for a number of years. eBay too.

You should modify the drivers side with a bolt to prevent separation, as new mounts are nowhere near as strong as originals.

Here's what I did:

I just did the mod on my motor mount and bracket - I used a stainless steel bolt and added a but of rubber under the bolt head to prevent it contacting the frame when installed... I'm not sure I'll need it as the rubber of the mount seems to have closed up in the 3/8ths hole after drilling through and holds the bolt in place. To get it out I have to wind it out with an allen key. So hopefully it will never contact the frame. The trick was not to NOT drill the hole oversize at all.

Here are some pics of what I used. Note that under the nut (nylock so it won't work loose), I have installed a rubber washer to prevent it feeling like a solid mount when under load.

I also used all stainless steel bits to avoid rust.

Here's the bolt with the rubber washer
My_mount_mod_bolt_small.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the bolt installed.
My_mount_mod_1_small.jpg

I countersunk the bolt head hole with a 1" bit
My_mount_mod_2_small.jpg

Doing that incognito upgrade is a neat idea! The replacement mounts might not be as strong as the originals as the rubber has aged some (and dried-out in the process)?

Seems like there's something about upgrading to the later-model spool mounts in the Race Manual? Or that the spool mounts are self-restraining?

Thanks for the pictures!
CBODY67

I haven't looked into spool mounts. The new mounts are typically made offshore and to much lower standards - I don't think it has anything to do with drying out.

The new mounts are very affordable, the upgrade is easy and cheap and effective, as replacing motor mounts is a PITA job I intend to do only once.

Ask me how I know...:mad::BangHead:

Back