Mr. 4 Speed Herb McCandless

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Powershifting Through the Years with Mopar® Living Legend Herb McCandless – Part 1
herbmccandlessfeature-576x255.png

Met Herb once at Carlisle about 15 years ago, he was showing off his BEAUTIFUL '62 Imp LeBaron, I had no idea he was such a racing legend at the time...…… real nice guy.... great article.

I have met Herb at several car shows around the country as he was always polite and willing to talk about Mopars and racing.

When I was endeavoring to build serious 340 engines (a very long time ago), he took my calls and discussed the intricacies as if he was my old college pal. I'll never forget how gracious and helpful he was to this young, dumbass, dead-broke drag racer.

I met him at carlilse in 2018. I was with my son and we were by his tent, It was late in the afternoon and he seemed to be winding down. He saw my sons interest in his cars and jumped up and gave us the full tour. He could not of been nicer he gave us a bunch of pictures and literature. He talked like I was the same level as him he is really a credit to the car hobby. He is a gentleman in every sense of the word. He has tons of knowledge that he is more than happy to share. And a bunch of beautiful cars that he loves to show to be enjoyed by everyone.

Really appreciate the good words on Dad. There will be 2 more parts to this series with Dodge Garage. Dad has a zoom call next week to do a podcast with Dragzine. My father and a zoom call will be a lot of fun haha. He goes 100mph every day and loves talking to people. All he wants to do is help people with their projects.

He is a talker.
I'm glad to listen.
@My65cuda when you had the Dart and Demon in the tent I was content to stay there and relax with those cars.
See you in July.

Really appreciate the good words on Dad. There will be 2 more parts to this series with Dodge Garage. Dad has a zoom call next week to do a podcast with Dragzine. My father and a zoom call will be a lot of fun haha. He goes 100mph every day and loves talking to people. All he wants to do is help people with their projects.

I got to meet your father in Carlisle last year, here are a couple pictures. It really was a pleasure and honor meeting him and seeing his Super Stock cars. I'm a relatively young guy and I was looking at his '67 RO Belvedere II, he comes over and says to me "you know what you're looking at" and I said "yes sir a '67 Belvedere." We got to talking a bit and I said to him "it is a pleasure to meet you I know you were a drag racing legend back in the day", then I asked if he could sign my hat and he says and I will never forget it "you know what a legend is, a guy who can still sign his own name".

I am looking forward to meeting him again this year as well if you are there....
20200710_153512.jpg
20200710_153946.jpg

Me with your father in front of the RO Belvedere, here's something else I won't forget. When we were getting ready to take the picture and standing in front of the car, he says "hang on let me take my hat off and put it in the car I don't want it in the picture".....
20200710_153734.jpg

But wait there's more, I loved this wagon.....
20200710_111630.jpg

20200711_121825.jpg
20200711_122005.jpg
20200711_121924.jpg
20200711_122123.jpg

I was lucky enough (and old enough) to see all of these guys racing those actual cars in competition back in the day when they were young guys at Great Lakes Dragaway (Da Grove) and a few other tracks in the Midwest.

I have (or my ex wife has them) pictures from back in the day. I also have a few pictures of Grumpy Jenkins and me in the 2000's when he was testing engines that he built for Dave Connolly (Pro Stock) at Cecil County Dragway. Connolly would make 2 passes on the car and they would pull the engine and put a new one in it.

I was lucky enough (and old enough) to see all of these guys racing those actual cars in competition back in the day when they were young guys at Great Lakes Dragaway (Da Grove) and a few other tracks in the Midwest.
I remember going up to "Union Grove" many times. Who knows, we might have stood next to each other at some time.

Back