Mr. 4 speed

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Big surprise. The mail man just handed me a priority mail packet sent to me by Herb McCandless. I think I mentioned in my "New Orleans" show thread that he zeroed in on to the Polara right away. Friday morning we talked about the car for awile before embarking on the days tour. He loves the big forward look cars and the big C bodys. We got into a lengthy and detailed conversation again at the party Friday night. and again at the show Saturday. He made it a point to drive his 61 G over and wish a safe trip home at the end of the show.

This packet I just received includes several pages of performance mods and products with contacts for everything from a 318 to hemi's. All authored by Herb. A autographed card with some of his career highlights, a "Mr. 4 speed's quick tip guide" and a personal note on his stationary saying to call him. SO cool....!

I'll scan some of it and share with y'all.

He was so helpful to me with advice (over the phone) in the 80's when I was building high-winding 340s. Love the guy!

Looking forward (Forward Look?) to the scans of the material he sent. :thumbsup:

Big surprise. The mail man just handed me a priority mail packet sent to me by Herb McCandless. I think I mentioned in my "New Orleans" show thread that he zeroed in on to the Polara right away. Friday morning we talked about the car for awile before embarking on the days tour. He loves the big forward look cars and the big C bodys. We got into a lengthy and detailed conversation again at the party Friday night. and again at the show Saturday. He made it a point to drive his 61 G over and wish a safe trip home at the end of the show.

This packet I just received includes several pages of performance mods and products with contacts for everything from a 318 to hemi's. All authored by Herb. A autographed card with some of his career highlights, a "Mr. 4 speed's quick tip guide" and a personal note on his stationary saying to call him. SO cool....!

I'll scan some of it and share with y'all.

Very cool Will!!!

:thumbsup:

Dad has never met a stranger. He loves going to that show.

Didn't realize this was you Mike.
The New Orleans show is one of the better shows I attend. Hard to rival Carlisle but I have more fun in New Orleans. Your dad's a prince and a great asset to the Mopar world.
Will.

Hey..... remember the white 56 DeSoto suburban? What became of it?

The New Orleans show is one of the better shows I attend. Hard to rival Carlisle but I have more fun in New Orleans. Your dad's a prince and a great asset to the Mopar world.
Will.

That's because you hang at a swap spot at Carlisle

Will.

No clue, that was a million years ago haha. I didn't want Dad going to New Orleans, but he's hardheaded. I know he loves the show, but I work in the medical world and had sight to what was coming. Now, I'm making him do a battery of tests each day to make sure he's clear. I'll feel better in 2 weeks.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Herb twice as well as selling him voltage regulators. I forget what it is but he has a C Body with a modern hemi in it.

No clue, that was a million years ago haha. I didn't want Dad going to New Orleans, but he's hardheaded. I know he loves the show, but I work in the medical world and had sight to what was coming. Now, I'm making him do a battery of tests each day to make sure he's clear. I'll feel better in 2 weeks.

You need to just give in and come to New Orleans to Mike. Bring one of those museum pieces.

You need to just give in and come to New Orleans to Mike. Bring one of those museum pieces.
Someone has to work to pay for all the fun :). I try to make a few big events a year. I'm always at Carlisle. I handle all of the logistics and crap it takes to make all this go round. Just try to make sure dad enjoys himself :)

Bought a set of 452 heads in the mid 90s from Herb after being told by Hughes engines I need this and that. Set me up with the right valves and springs and milled them a bit for my low compression 440.

Someone has to work to pay for all the fun :). I try to make a few big events a year. I'm always at Carlisle. I handle all of the logistics and crap it takes to make all this go round. Just try to make sure dad enjoys himself :)

Good man Mike. Be assured, Herb DOES enjoy his self.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Herb twice as well as selling him voltage regulators. I forget what it is but he has a C Body with a modern hemi in it.

I don't know about a Cbody but he does have a 300 Letter Car with a Gen III in it.

That whole McCandless Family is a class act.

There is a documentary that his son had done about him. I don't know if it's out yet or not but here's a clip.

Kevin

We're still mowing through it. Got a little delayed as production team was given a break while the virus stuff is going on. Have some really cool shots coming together that I'm very excited about.

We're still mowing through it. Got a little delayed as production team was given a break while the virus stuff is going on. Have some really cool shots coming together that I'm very excited about.

I look forward to seeing it.

I've always enjoyed talking to your Dad and you at Carlisle. I asked him one year when was he coming to Moparfest in Canada and he said he wanted to come but there had been some kind of difficulty to make the arrangements.

I told him I worked near the location and would be happy to look into it if he'd like. Long story short he was there the next year. I don't know if I had any small part in that or not but I was glad to see him there as were countless others.

Kevin

Last edited:
This is herb's 61 300 G with the modern hemi in it, (plus a bunch of other gadgits). I think he has something in the trunk that sprays sun tan lotion on him with his key fob, Not sure though.

dsc05572-jpg.jpg

Back