MrMopar goes Topless

Headlights, will do the bezels after I get the lights adjusted.
2023-03-04_004.jpg

Under hood is essentially done and ready to start electrical testing.
IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG

The electrical testing for the most part went smooth..
1. Taillight socket was assembled incorrectly.
2. Fender top indicator needed the ground cleaned.
3. Console courtesy light swapped wired in my rebuilt harness.
4. Original console lighter needed cleaning and breaker reset (took a while to find that one).
5. Fuel sender not plugged in.
6. Park light bulb not put in correctly.
7. High beams/Super Light wire not plugged into relay, oops.
8. Dash lights, ended up bypassing the dimmer.

Taking the switch panel off was a task, even though I opened up the dash frame there is little room to get to the plugs.
IMG_1782.JPG

For the most part that is up to date.

Alan

Beautiful work Alan! I really hope you will drive this across country for the Carlisle show next year.

After inspecting the top system and realizing it was not a major leak I chose to just power through it and put the top down. New cylinders and hoses were ordered.

Here are some pictures to get a better idea to the overall condition of the car and just how cool of a car this is.
View attachment 426125
View attachment 426126

The Spring Special trim (missing its DODGE lettering), also note the grill is polished with no paint.
View attachment 426127

Hard to see in this picture but the fender extension is banged up
View attachment 426132

Well not much to say here, the other side is just as bad, no buffing this out.
View attachment 426133

Both the visor brackets and the mirror mount are heavily pitted.
View attachment 426134
View attachment 426135

The wheel covers along with the 500 trim are polished, will need to be cleaned up and painted.
View attachment 426136
View attachment 426137

Throughout the car it is showing its age but overall it is a solid car.

Alan
It's a beautiful car! The only small change I would make if it were mine would be to remove the chrome header surround at the front edge of the hood and fender caps. I prefer the stock body color front end. But I realize Dodge made these an option because it made the car look more like it had a loop front bumper, which were very popular then.

It's a beautiful car! The only small change I would make if it were mine would be to remove the chrome header surround at the front edge of the hood and fender caps. I prefer the stock body color front end. But I realize Dodge made these an option because it made the car look more like it had a loop front bumper, which were very popular then.
Already gone, wasn't original to this car and I don't like it.

Alan

Nice Alan , great job ": i see you bought some redlines for it........in the rear i put some 7 or 8 inch steelies with 4 inch backspace on mine because the small axle they used in 69....it fill up the gap a little between tire and fender and still looks original!

Last edited:
Nice Alan , great job ": i see you bought some redlines for it........in the rear i put some 7 or 8 inch steelies with 4 inch backspace on mine because the small axle....it fill up the gap a little between tire and fender and still looks original!
Although never available on the Polara and the only size I could find is one size smaller than I wanted, I do like the way they look on the car.

The wheel covers are just stuck in the tires to see how they look.
2021-12-11_001.jpg

2021-12-11_002.jpg

Alan

The last time I ran the engine was two years ago, finally got to where I could fire it up again.

My friend played with it for a little but heard a rattle that he thought was coming from the transmission and felt it might need more fluid to the converter. We couldn't put it in gear and get the pumps moving as I hadn't adjusted the parking brake and the brakes are not blead yet.

During the week I get the parking brake adjusted and started in on the brakes. He comes again and we run it some more, in gear, fwd/rev/low... I hear the rattle but feel it is more up front and don't hear it under the car. We swap position and he listens from the side and under and agrees.

Last night I pull the valve covers. Rockers all look good, good oil coverage. Check rods, not good. The wiggle spin in place trick exposed a bent one so they were all removed for a more detailed inspection...
IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

Alan

The car is getting closer to completion, for the most part under the hood is done after fixing the bent push rod.
IMG_2145.JPG

After getting the brakes bled the car was taken off the dollies for the first time after the restoration.
With a loan of a steering wheel from Trev the car was capable of being driven.

Initially the steering was rock hard, almost worse than manual steering, after pulling into the garage the reservoir was topped off.
Another test drive was done getting in more turning in both directions. Once again it needed topped off, anther test drive and it was all good.

This time the car was parked outside so I could get a good look at it in daylight and not in the garage, threw a couple wheel covers on for the pictures.
IMG_2521.JPG

Alan

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

The car is getting closer to completion, for the most part under the hood is done after fixing the bent push rod.
View attachment 619881

After getting the brakes bled the car was taken off the dollies for the first time after the restoration.
With a loan of a steering wheel from Trev the car was capable of being driven.

Initially the steering was rock hard, almost worse than manual steering, after pulling into the garage the reservoir was topped off.
Another test drive was done getting in more turning in both directions. Once again it needed topped off, anther test drive and it was all good.

This time the car was parked outside so I could get a good look at it in daylight and not in the garage, threw a couple wheel covers on for the pictures.
View attachment 619884

Alan

View attachment 619882

View attachment 619883

Beautiful work Alan.. excited for you. Many happy miles to ya..

A fantastic job of getting from where it was when you bought it to where it now is! Another great car saved to live a long life!

Congrats on a job well done,
CBODY67

The body shop is done with it, all touch ups done and it is polished out. Got the windshield installed today. If it is not raining after work I’ll try and get some pictures.
IMG_3741.jpeg
IMG_3744.jpeg

Alan

Back