MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

Get those graphics on there!!
In due time, I'm trying to follow the official CHP procedure. Just last week I contacted the local office to finalize the paperwork, I hope to have it wrapped up in the couple weeks. I'm already scheduled for a CHP event in April so it will be ready by then.

Alan

You've got a leg up on your buddy in that your license plates are correct for '69!

I assume you have to "register" this with the department as an out of service cruiser....and promise them that you won't use it to impersonate an officer?

It'll soon be time to call up Mr. leno for another visit!

The other day I went to CHP and took care of the next step and was cleared to put the graphics on, thus "completing" the car so I added the new in service date along side the original (masked off during the restoration).
2017-01-30_001.jpg

Now with the graphics installed.
2017-02-02_001.jpg

Looking like it was 1969
2017-02-04_008.jpg

2017-02-04_026.jpg

Alan

My Daughter [a car nut too] took this pic last year on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

I believe it's a NYPD car. It has an NYC exchange (440).
There was a member here from the Boston area restoring one.
Jim. That's all I can remember. That might be his car. Did a beautiful job.

Mile Marker 314 on The Pike. Ah, yes. That meant I was getting close to home.
35 years I counted those stinking things.
Both ways....

Alan, I am so blown away by that car, you would not believe. You fell down the rabbit hole and landed in 1969. I am proud to have watched your journey. Congratulations and many smiles ahead.

Last edited:
The other day I went to CHP and took care of the next step and was cleared to put the graphics on, thus "completing" the car so I added the new in service date along side the original (masked off during the restoration).
2017-01-30_001.jpg

Now with the graphics installed.
2017-02-02_001.jpg

Looking like it was 1969
2017-02-04_008.jpg

2017-02-04_026.jpg

Alan

Frickin' awesome!!!!!!

WOW!!!!

Alan, that's f'en awesome... she looks great. We all know how much effort you spent on every detail... still hard to imagine even watching your well documented thread. Thank you for including us in the journey.

Yes let me also add my compliments too . Really fantastic work you are doing. The car looks superb.

Last edited:
Is that "Out Of Service" signs they require to be placed on the car. If a roof light bar what would they require then?

2010-05-08_034.jpg
2010-08-22_110.jpg
2017-02-04_008.jpg
2017-02-04_026.jpg

That is one hell of a transformation...... You did an incredible job :thumbsup:

Plucked out of a field as it was left to rot..... Lucky car

Is that "Out Of Service" signs they require to be placed on the car. If a roof light bar what would they require then?
Roof lights require a cover, generally the original covers said "Out Of Service" on them. I put a KC light cover on the red spotlight and an Out of Service sign over the rear lights along with magnets over the Highway Patrol on the trunk. Technically you should cover the door graphics but my friend never has and it hasn't been an issue, officers have indicated it isn't an issue long as we have the signs.

Alan

Its a given is it not? The car is obviously not "In Service". Any citizen driving on the road thinking that is an active duty police car shouldnt be driving. I guess im trying to say, its a shame you gotta take those steps and cover the face of the car as she goes down the road

If I ever get to Lompoc, pleeeeeze let me take it for a spin. I absolutely NEED to know what it was like to drive a CHP car in '69.

You did an absolutely amazing job, Alan. I've read all 32 pages here and am almost done with your website. Thanks for documenting it all.

I hope to see you and the car at the Spring Fling Mopar meet!

Scott

Back