MSD electronic ignition

BAD69FURY

Reaction score
looking to get MSD ignition for my 70 newport with 383 motor. Anyone done this conversion already? I'll be converting to a 4 barrel carb probably edelbrock with a new intake to support it as well.

thanks

20181013_093036.jpg

I used a 6AL on the driver's inner fender, Blaster 2 coil, stock distributor.

@LocuMob ...
Are you still using this? Do the points last longer?
Points are not supposed to burn up as quickly with a CD ignition.

@LocuMob ...
Are you still using this? Do the points last longer?
Points are not supposed to burn up as quickly with a CD ignition.
I used a dual point with a MSD for years. The points no longer carry the current that a conventional ignition does, so they don't burn at all. The wear block still wears, but otherwise the points will last forever.

In regards to the OP's question, I've used the MSD in 3 cars now and was always happy with the results. You can open the point gap and that will give a "hotter" spark on top of the multi spark built into the MSD. One HUGE caveat..... I was using the US made MSD components. With them being made offshore and counterfeits on the market, I don't know as I would have the same great results or not. I've heard some bad stories...

IMHO, unless you are going racing, the hot setup would be a good, rebuilt Mopar distributor (not an offshore replacement) and the GM HEI conversion. Very dependable with easily sourced components. Again, you can open up the plug gap for a hotter spark, although you lose the multiple sparks. Talk to @halifaxhops about a distributor.

Mopar HEI Conversion

Mopar HEI Conversion

HEI electronic ignition discussion - Slant Six Forum

I have the MSD billet distributor with electronic ignition. Combined with the 6AL box and the Blaster 2 coil and I have never had an ounce of ignition problems.

If you want it to look stock lots of guys like the Pertronix system that does away with points and the hall effect installs in your present distributor. You would never know it is there. Their upgraded coil looks stock and is in the stock position with no box of electronics. Also I believe it cheaper than a MSD setup. No direct experience here but I am considering the Pertronix 1 ignitor system for my build. Not trying to sway you one way or other just showing another option.

There is also the FAST XR-700 (formerly Accel) that I have in one car, it's similar to th Pertronix kit, optical sensor, and couldn't be any simpler to install. Another option to reduce the amount of parts swapped.

BAD69FURY I thought you sold that car long ago???
If not I am glad to hear this,,I like that car.

Back