Mt Airy, MD Cruise Night - 1961 Fury and More

Boomer

Reaction score
Decided to take Saturday off and get outta town away from the women, yardwork, and Imperial project for some long-overdue guy time with my good friend John. We took in the Kutztown, PA Radio meet, then attended the MSHS steam & engine show, and capped off the day with visit to the local Cruise night in Mt Airy.

Johnny has some interesting cars: '41 Lincoln, 40-something Packard, 30-something Ford w/rumble seat, and a nice low mileage '61 Fury Forward Look he picked up in July. He also has a '65 Imperial convertible stored in MN. His dad left him the Lincoln and Ford.

We took the Fury to the cruise night and one of his sons who was home for the evening took the Lincoln. Not a huge show overall but a handful of nice older Mopars and other cars along with a bunch of hot rods and newer stuff. A yellow '68 Imperial showed up but didn't stay. Pretty sure thus is the Mobile Director car I took photos of a couple years back. Also a really nice little Dart with a 273 in it. The hood is a bit deceiving. A nice original Challenger, too.

Had fun at all three events. Was just what I needed after a 3 hour stint at the playground with my daughter playing with one of her new kindergarten pals.
Johnny's Cars1.jpg
Johnny's Cars 3.jpg
Johnny'sCars4.jpg
Dart1.jpg
Challenger.jpg
Imp2.jpg

A few shots of the Plymouth. It has 50K original miles, still had the original spare in the trunk w/1961 date code. Appears to have been touched up in a couple places but overall is very original, just beautiful. Wish I'd gotten a shot of the Forward Look decal on the back window.

Got a good look-alike shot of my buddy doing the 'Fury Scowl'.
61 Fury_2.jpg
Fury_Int.jpg
Fury 318Poly.jpg
Fury Spare.jpg
Fury Scowl.jpg

It was a fantastic day, for sure. I slept well when I got back home that night. Mt Airy is about 74 miles north, not a bad drive.

Here are a few of the other cars at the meet. Interesting that there were two separate groupings of white Fords with white Chevys. Wonder if they planned it that way?
57 Ford.jpg
JavelinSST.jpg
JavelinSST2.jpg
ChevyFord1.jpg
ChevyFord2.jpg
66 Impala SS.jpg
66 Impala 396.jpg

Most amazing thing about that Fury to me is what he paid: somewhere around $6500(!) It came out of OK or Kansas. Goes down the road like a new car and the steering wheel has sparkly crap embedded in it. Truly over the top by today's standards, and it was 'only' a Plymouth - not a Chrysler or Imperial.

A few shots of the Plymouth. It has 50K original miles, still had the original spare in the trunk w/1961 date code. Appears to have been touched up in a couple places but overall is very original, just beautiful. Wish I'd gotten a shot of the Forward Look decal on the back window.

View attachment 143739 View attachment 143740 View attachment 143741 View attachment 143742 View attachment 143743
Does this cruise happen regularly? I'll try to get to it in October. Yep, that Fury is amazing, people don't normally frown with cars, but with a '61 Fury, it's all but mandatory!

Does this cruise happen regularly? I'll try to get to it in October. Yep, that Fury is amazing, people don't normally frown with cars, but with a '61 Fury, it's all but mandatory!

In the summer time, the Mt. Airy cruise-in at Jimmie Cone is every other Saturday, I think. Don't know what the schedule is now. I'm only about fifteen miles away. I had planned to be there this past Saturday, but the brakes on my '66 300 needed adjusting. So, I didn't get it back on the road again until Sunday. Maybe next time.

Spare tires always seem to have incredible longevity. I have two cars with the original spares, the 3rd I replaced the spare because we drive the car so much

View attachment 143739 View attachment 143740 View attachment 143741 View attachment 143742 View attachment 143743
I'm surprised that @bluefury361 hasn't weighed in on this Fury, especially because of the colour.
61-fury_2-jpg.jpg

I checked the Jimmie Cone cruise-in schedule. Looks like its held on the first and third Saturdays through October. I'm looking at October 21st as a likely date for me.

Most welcome. It's encouraging to see a lot of interest in preserving and restoring/rebuilding these old relics - no matter where you go in the country. They had similar little weekend shows in NC & VT.

Rip - will try to get up there in October so we can meet up. Might actually have the Imperial on the road by then. Looks like dad's Lincoln will spend another winter in VT.

I'm surprised that @bluefury361 hasn't weighed in on this Fury, especially because of the colour.

I'm here ........ That looks like the secondary color I've chosen for my 61 convertible. (See build thread in the forward look section). The interior of these cars is incredible. The features and details are way above what one would think could be found in a Plymouth, especially the dash with all the options.
I have a lot of hard to find information on these cars that I would be happy to share with your friend John if he would be interested.
Will.

Whever I see a 1957 Ford Fairlane, it always reminds me that I thought they looked much better and flowing rather than the stubby, kind of tall bodied 1957 Chevrolet Bel Airs. Even if I am in the minority.

I checked the Jimmie Cone cruise-in schedule. Looks like its held on the first and third Saturdays through October. I'm looking at October 21st as a likely date for me.
THANKS for forwarding the info. on scheduling. The first Sat. is good for me, and since I probably won't be able to go to Hershey, I'll go there, hopefully weather will FINALLY cool off........

Back