Must be a secret

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
to getting the rear seat out of these cars. Every time I need to take my rear seat out, usually months after last doing it, I have to fight the seat for an hour to get it to pop loose from the bottom. Of course I put the seat back in this afternoon after re-dying the carpet and it took time to get it on one bracket. Then I noticed I needed to do something to rearrange the carpet and started to fight to take off the seat. After 45 minutes I gave up and decided to paint my air cleaner before I lost light. The seat is still sitting there on one bracket and not the other, luckily for that.

Are the brackets bent on your car? the only time I've had real trouble was with a bent bracket.

Push to the back of the car, lift up, pull to the front of the car. That should work...

I've gotten bruises getting the seat out of my Imperial.

I still haven't been able to get my back seat out yet with 2 people trying to push it back out of the brackets.......it won't move at all.

Pushing it back is what I naturally try to do since most work that way. Only this one is a real PITA. Most always end up trying the rig something that I can slide under the seat, center on the seat lower bar, and then physically push it back to pop it off. Of course this is all done by feel and must be able to slide under the seat's front lip.

Unbolt the seatback, remove it, the bottom will then pop out a whole lot easier.

< Sent from my tablet >

Aren't the 2 bolts at the bottom of the seat back behind the seat bottom? I don't think I can reach them with a wrench or socket with the seat bottom in place?

On my car, to get the seat bottom out, you have to squish a socket on an ratchet wrench and extension between the two and undo the bolts.
Then lift off the top. The bottom then easily pops out.
That's been my experience on my current car. I also didn't replace the bolts when putting the seat back on.

As anal as you are you didnt put the bolts back in?

Your not supposed to squish you're two for two....i am truly disappointed

I could actually reach the bolts in the back. However, since the bottom was all the way back removing the bolt didn't allow any further movement. So I just pushed as hard as I could and it popped up for me. That enabled me to remove the seat and correct a carpet issue. Now the interior of the car is finally done along with the outside. Just need to change the gasket on the transmission pan for a better one and find something to complete the trunk.

Back