My 1966 Convertible

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have a spare moment to post some photos. I took these as reminders for what parts I'd be searching for... the car is still sitting in the warehouse and I'm getting ready for a trip to Arizona. I'll try to work some parts-hunting into my trip, since that's my weird idea of vacation fun. If anyone has leads, they will be appreciated. Maybe I'll get to meet the world-famous "johnny" while I'm out there! :yaayy:

Here is my fiancee dressed appropriately for driving a convertible in February. She hates the picture because she has a weird expression, however it's better than using my face to ruin the internet. Don't tell her I used it.

IMG-20150221-00876_zps6vxswvix.jpg

You might notice the incorrect hubcaps. Normally, this sort of thing would drive me nuts but I actually like the '64 caps more than the '66 caps, and they probably don't fly off as easily. I may correct this eventually but it will be low on the list. Or I'll just get 22" spinners. On a similar note of incorrectness, please note my bumper...

IMG-20150221-00883_zpsjcdgjo8n.jpg
IMG-20150221-00882_zpsfungyaqd.jpg

Again, I never liked the '66 bumper because locating the reverse lights separately just wrecks the clean bumper design. So if I have a car full of incorrect parts, at least they are incorrect parts that do not offend me.

This piece of diecast is kaput...

IMG-20150221-00881_zpsf5sqdfqy.jpg

and the wheel lip molding...

IMG-20150221-00880_zpsu9zfeos5.jpg

Reproduction hood trim FAIL

IMG-20150221-00888_zps7juyx2dz.jpg

Passenger door handle correct, driver's side is from 64/65

IMG-20150221-00886_zpsiibljbld.jpg

Either somebody took "bumper jack" literally, or this damage is from the first heat of a demo-derby. Amazingly the lens isn't damaged.

IMG-20150221-00879_zpsbi89zmem.jpg

The good news is that the leather is better than expected, the top is new (and works), it moves and stops under its own power, the windows work and it's solid as a rock. I don't see Turbine Bronze as an available '66 color, (the gold underneath is obvious). You can tell this awesome paint job needs to be redone.

Thanks for viewing and keep those tips coming in on chrome trim! *not shown, missing sunvisors!

? no, just an honest assessment. It's a ways from turnkey showcar, but a solid start. I knew exactly what I was getting. :VB toast:

I tend to write with a bit of sarcasm. Of course that never works in writing.

Nice Imp....you are starting out a lot farther ahead than I started with both of my 1978 Formal's.

? no, just an honest assessment. It's a ways from turnkey showcar, but a solid start. I knew exactly what I was getting. :VB toast:

I tend to write with a bit of sarcasm. Of course that never works in writing.

Got it...... Problem with real nice cars you tend to obsess over them and not enjoy them as intended.

I understand where you are going.................I think

You should trade me. I'm sure that white top is harder to keep clean vs. my black top. Deal?

The Turbine Bronze Metallic looks killer on your car. Are you looking to go back to gold with it?

No trade, but thanks! I'm looking at a 1,300-mile road trip this Summer in the Imperial.

Let's say I got a good deal on the car!

Nice looking project there! Were it mine I'd leave it alone and drive the crap/snot/bejesus out of it. But it ain't my car. Appreciate to pictures though!

Glenn

I like it, any pics of the interior? Underhood?

Carmine! I am the guy who met you in the warehouse. I bought the Platinum colored 68 4 door hard top. So glad he accepted your offer. It was nice to meet you. Seem like a hell of a guy.Welcome to the barge bin. Good to have you aboard. Now hurry up and retire so I can steal your job. HAHA

The one in the link used to be medium blue with a yellow repaint before being painted chestnut met.
As I understand Carmine's car was a Gold tone from the factory.

Let's put it this way... I sure as hell hope that isn't my car as it would be on it's third repaint by 1998. I found no evidence of blue (or yellow) paint on my car when I looked it over. Just a lot of bronze overspray in a gold engine compartment. Also noted that the car in that photo has the correct rear bumper and what appear to be '59 wheel covers. That top also looks a little baggier than mine. Granted those items could have been altered over the past 17-years.

I'm afraid I don't have any more photos of the car right now, and won't for at least two weeks. I know some people say "drive as is", but I really don't enjoy driving a car with a bad bodywork, broken trim, etc. This one is going to be put right mechanically (starting with a trans service) then it shall meet a lot of 80grit sandpaper to buzz off as much of that cheap repaint as possible.

Glad youre stripping that paint off. it was poorly applied. But what are the odds of 2 cars the same year, both vert being shot in the same color. WEIRD

Back