My 1966 Convertible

I was there when he drove it out. You could definitely tell the transmission lacked motivation. But the motor sounds great. A little tune-up love and a touch of trans work and you have a great car that needs nothing but the paint job to be... resolved.

Im not so sure what to think of that prat poking through close to the accelerator. But I am interested to learn.

This is a great car. I cant wait to see its evolution

I think with my eyes filled with burnt transfluid (my happy-place), I only noticed the bellcrank connected to nothing. I should have noticed there is a later-style kickdown that is intact and functional. A '64 uses push-buttons, '65 uses a shiftlever and cable, '66 uses rods/linkage. Somebody in Highland Park must have said "Meh, we're only running this body for another year, let's just leave the accel pedal a carryover part."
shruggy.gif

*** I also posted this question over on Moparts and somebody mentioned the old Auto-Pilots (cruise) used this accel bellcrank to connect the servo. Turns out my car does have cruise, but is missing the servo linkage ***

So the good news is, I don't have to hunt anything down. The "unknown" is if adjusting the band and fresh fluid will do the trick.
confused.gif

PS: I wasn't kidding about the happy-place thing. Yesterday/today was the first time in God-knows how long I was able to work with the door open, out in the sun. I miss the simple pleasure of just being able turn wrenches and work on old cars. If I was a millionaire, that's all I would do... On my own island.

8461257-IMG-20150315-00998.jpg

Ok, I'm posting this to prove I do something besides argue about trade policies on websites for people who love obscure big cars....

Yesterday I buttoned up the trans after dumping the burnt fluid and adjusting the bands:

IMG-20150315-01000.jpg

Also dropped the gas tank since I was already up in the air...

IMG-20150315-00997.jpg

Tough to see here, but it also had a huge dent in it. I managed to pound most of it out using a "spud bar" from my concrete-pouring hobby (If you're Italian, they had you a trowel at birth).

IMG-20150321-01035.jpgIMG-20150321-01039.jpg
The tank and sending unit were amazingly clean. Per my ohmmeter, it functions. Haven't had enough gas in it yet to tell if it really works.

IMG-20150321-01040.jpg

I love the way old cars looks when the are in the air with the wheels removed... Like they should fly. Try that with today's hunched-up SUVs and it just looks like a giant dog about to poop in your driveway.

IMG-20150321-01042.jpg

Pulled drums (I should say "pounded on drums with a hammer") and found them full of new parts and way too damn tight... Trans issue anyone? *I do know you can back off the adjusters from behind, but I can never get that to work. Also changed the oil (filthy).

I was outside until 11pm swapping tires and topping off fluids. I couldn't go to bed until I knew if the trans was going to live. I was about to go to bed disappointed, but it seemed like the last quart I poured in made a huge difference and it began engaging normally. Now I'm off to the corner gas station for a road test. Cross fingers!

IMG-20150315-01000.jpg

IMG-20150315-00997.jpg

IMG-20150321-01035.jpg

IMG-20150321-01039.jpg

IMG-20150321-01040.jpg

IMG-20150321-01042.jpg

Happy Easter and time for an update...

I've driven the car around the block (using secondary roads) enough to say the trans feels pretty good. Even better, the engine feels very strong. Loads of torque and "light on its feet", like the higher compression big-blocks should feel. Will even chirp the tires a bit from a stop (swear I wasn't trying). Kicks down hard when you ask it to, but otherwise smooth. Of course, my driving has been limited by two factors.

1) Not even remotely legal, lol... Just went through the insurance and registration hassle last Wednesday so that one is remedied.

2) When I bought the car, the brake lights, turn signals, were all inop. Only the headlights and dim tail lights were functional. About 1/2 the dash lights worked.

So I probed for voltage at the trunk wiring disconnects and found they did have voltage. Thus began the process of removing the lights, finding corrosion in the sockets and repairing them. Or in the case of the outer single-filament bulbs, simply fining them beyond hope and replacing them with part-store sockets. I folded the metal tabs over within the die cast housing and made them stronger/weather tight using some good ol' JB weld. I used as much of the old wiring as I could, soldering the wire to the new bulb base then shrink tubing the connection.

IMG-20150329-01079_zpskmyuzmqu.jpg

IMG-20150327-01056_zpsivjhs0ll.jpg

Also redid the silver within the housings. Usually I'd use a bright silver spray, but this time tried using metal-foil tape... Thought that might last longer and be even more reflective. Before:

IMG-20150327-01058_zps8cn1w0vf.jpg

After:

IMG-20150327-01063_zpseeh0h0io.jpg

So this left me with a functional brake lights, but no turn signals. No voltage at the wires either. These cars (at least the ones with tilt, but probably all of them before the new column design in '67) used a signal switch at the base, near where the column goes through the firewall. Since I didn't see any evidence of wire-hackery, and because the rebuild process is described on the IML website, I simply took mine apart and cleaned hard grease, polished the brass contacts, and re-lubed with dielectric grease. I debated using this because silicone is an insulator, but then I also thought the contact pressure/movement would be enough to negate this property. All I can tell you is that after putting it back together I had turn signals again. But wait, no dancing bananas yet...:BangHead:

When I'd signal left, the left front signals and left dash indicator flashed... in time with the RIGHT rear signal. There is no way to confuse the wiring at the rear of the car because the wiring simply isn't long enough. So I back probed the turn signal switch and swapped the wiring pin-outs. Thankfully I tried it before remounting it on the column, because taking it in/out is a royal PITA.

IMG-20150328-01069_zpskuo7sfb7.jpg

As I recall, it was the green and brown wires I needed to swap (the center block of two). Of course, this makes you wonder if this was a 50-year old factory defect (how could that go unnoticed?) or did somebody do this as a gag to drive a mechanic nuts? One X factor is the obvious former presence of a trailer hitch. Perhaps this was a work-around to correct bad trailer wiring?

00673e76abee1c9403d1f7c07e4d37cac42567d0bf0b4aba03cb56932d93ccbe.jpg

Having fixed the lights allowed me to move on to some cosmetic issues... Before re-installing, I swapped this crummy, dented piece of aluminum trim with a better one from my trip to Arizona...

IMG-20150329-01074_zpsb8rv6v6z.jpg

Also note the dent in the rear bumper, (lower right corner) which damaged the stainless trim that surrounds the tail light. I decided to try my hand pounding out dents and polishing stainless. After the first round of hammering and smoothing with a Dremel tool:

IMG-20150329-01071_zps1lfdibrg.jpg

round two: (keep in mind most of this gets hidden by housing itself.)

IMG-20150329-01073_zpsvsvfzpk2.jpg

The final polish brought it back up to a mirror-like shine.

Also had some work to do on the die-cast, also damaged by an impact.

IMG-20150327-01065_zpsvatklciw.jpg

I straightened it out the best I could using heat from a torch (careful, it melts easily). Then I ground out the backside and broke out the ol' JB Weld again. I buried a the shaft of a small bolt within the epoxy to add some strength.

IMG-20150329-01075_zpssjhl7rvc.jpg

...and buried within.

IMG-20150329-01078_zpshtsnn1de.jpg

This weekend I've been dealing with solving dashboard issues. Stay tuned for an update when I have a chance...

and some tuning for good measure:

IMG-20150404-01110.jpg
IMG-20150404-01108.jpg

IMG-20150404-01108.jpg

IMG-20150404-01110.jpg

Back