My 1970 Dodge Polara 9 passenger.

71Polara383

Kid with ballcap
Reaction score
I haven't started a thread on this one yet, but I have pulled it out of the corner and will slowly start getting it ready for next cruising season.

This is my 1970 Dodge Polara 9 passenger Wagon. In 2015 the original owner passed, and the family called the junkyard to have it towed away. Luckily it went to a yard that knew it wasn't "junk" and they made a call to a guy in Belvidere. Shortly after, my friend Manny spotted the wagon and asked about it, and was told someone was on their way to pick it up.
received_1237411193110660.jpeg

In roughly 2017 I met the guy that bought it and he wasn't ready to sell yet. I asked to be first if it ever came up for sale.. thats when I received these pictures of her...
received_2020722361331605.jpeg
received_2020722447998263.jpeg

Mid summer 2019, the owner reached out to me and said he was ready to let go and would get me detailed pics and we could meet up next time he was at the property where the car was. A few weeks went by and I got a message on Facebook from him. "Its gone, my ex sold it behind my back"
I was so upset, but I figured it wasn't meant to be and let it go.

Then in January, my friend sends me a link to a marketplace ad jokingly. "Here you could have 2 wagons!" Little did he know...I was about to have two wagons. I got in contact with the seller and went to see the car in person for the first time the next morning. I got there. Crawled around in the snow, saw what I needed to see and struck up a deal.
20200123_085633.jpg
20200123_093042.jpg

A few days later I gathered up some tools/tune up parts/roller tires and went to attempt to drive her to the shop. After a couple chilly hours, I had it running and idling, put it in gear and popped a trans line trying to get out of the snow. I was cold. Wet. I called my friend that runs a tow truck and had her picked up.

FB_IMG_1580189589404.jpg

Once back at the shop, I put some wheelcovers on it and pushed it inside out of the elements for probably the first time since 2015.

20200125_164646.jpg
20200126_162839.jpg

The biggest issue with the car, is the lack of a title. I considered doing the Vermont trick, but decided it may be in my best interest to obtain a bonded title directly from IL. I started working with a title service right before covid locked everything down and onto the far back burner it went. As of now, the paperwork is all done, Police came and verified the VIN. I should be receiving my bonded title and valid plates soon!

That's awesome Wyatt!! Looks like a super solid project. Good luck and it will be interesting to follow your progress.

One day in February, I took a few hours and fixed the trans line. Got it running and took it on the first drive. It didn't last long, I had to turn around almost immediately as I was leaking coolant from what seemed to be everywhere. Radiator/freeze plugs. I put it away and it hasn't moved much until recently.

At Carlisle I aquired some 70 super light stuff from Dave, I bolted it up and fell in love with the idea of adding the superlight.

20200914_130248.jpg

I also have a woodgrain wheel I plan on installing as well.

So far the plan is simple...Running. Driving. Reliable.

-Fuel system needs gone through
-Cooling system needs gone through
-Brakes need gone through
-Wheels/tires
-Exhaust

Here is where she sits as of today. A06. Her SPD!!!
Happy Birthday beautiful!
20200929_234239.jpg

20201003_002740.jpg
20201003_002752.jpg
20201003_002948.jpg
20201002_233729.jpg
20201002_233712.jpg
20201003_002926.jpg
20200123_090455.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful car, glad DL46L0R140853 found you and you found her. Look forward to more. The interior looks great, the color is my favorite. Soon there should be a second turquoise 1970 Polara visiting her :D

:drama:

Wonderful car, glad DL46L0R140853 found you and you found her. Look forward to more. The interior looks great, the color is my favorite. Soon there should be a second turquoise 1970 Polara visiting her :D

:drama:
The photo shoot opportunities next summer will be EPIC!

It's crazy the junk people hold onto and then something that solid and not ratted out was junked.
Why not Vermont trick? We used to do the Alabama trick 25yrs ago.

It's crazy the junk people hold onto and then something that solid and not ratted out was junked.
Why not Vermont trick? We used to do the Alabama trick 25yrs ago.
I dont know, I just feel more comfortable driving a car in Illinois with Illinois plates and proper registration.

Looks pretty good as is. Glad you finally got it! Looks like it's in good company in your shop.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Amazing what a clean up and set of wheel covers can do for a car. Neat looking wagon.
Agreed. Those upscale Dodge wheel covers are simply great. It also helps to see the double-striped original tire!

Agreed. Those upscale Dodge wheel covers are simply great. It also helps to see the double-striped original tire!
Don't get used to them...I dont like wheel covers very much, but it does take it from "crappy looking" wagon to...thats a "nice looking ride", just from a simple thing like hubcaps. Thats all I wanted to accomplish with them.

Great score Wyatt - very happy for you. Great color and one with whitewalls! They are what make it look upscale to me - but I think I also know the fate of those in your case..............:BangHead:

And Ayilar will have a really nice complement too!!

You guys have all the luck.

Both are great vehicles and I am impressed how you guys are scooping them up.

Excellent!!

Isn't Manny amazing - he finds everything and he really scored for me too. Just a great guy as well.

Enjoy! :)

Nice score Wyatt. With your metal working skills, you should have her looking showroom new in the near future.

After your get the Vermont paperwork you immediately go get an IL title for it, but it's one without the hundreds of dollars in bond and years before it's free and clear.

After your get the Vermont paperwork you immediately go get an IL title for it, but it's one without the hundreds of dollars in bond and years before it's free and clear.
It really wasn't that crazy, and a fairly simple process that covid derailed for a bit. I dont mind spending a little more to do it in IL. Just a little peace of mind on my end. Even if I did the Vermont thing, then turned around and did the IL process, I am roughly 2/3rds of the way to the IL bonded title cost and have to do twice as much paperwork and wait twice as long because of mailing paperwork back and fourth.

Are you going to be able to register the car using the original VIN or will you get stuck with an assigned number?
Should be using the original vin. I have not been notified of anything else and I have not been assigned anything.

The cop was confused about the 13 digit vin. :lol: I thought it was pretty funny, may have been his first time trying to run an old one.

I cant believe what nice shape that interior is in. Cool car. You don't see many 70, 71 Dodge wagons.

Back