My 318 Build Thead :)

Skwerly

Reaction score
I blew the 318 in my ’68 Fury quite a while back, and I finally have some cash and time to put into it. I have never done a build thread, so I figured it’s about time I started one. :)

The engine coming out of the patient:
IMG_1315.jpg

I opted to take the tranny out with the engine because I’ll likely freshen it up, too, funds allowing. I know the 727 is bullet proof and all, but better safe than sorry. I’d hate for it to all have to come back out again.
IMG_1316.jpg

Finally got the engine on the stand. It was sort of a debacle because I had constructed the engine stand backward on accident. When we tried to drop the 318 down, the engine stand buckled and we couldn’t figure out why. By the time my buddy noticed my error, I had welded on it and... oh, it wasn’t fun.
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_1414.jpg

More to come...
[/FONT]

Here’s the 318 before we shot it with two cans of de-greaser and took the power washer to it. 350,000 miles of road grime was a challenge.
IMG_1417.jpg

More to come...

I’d had a couple beers by this time and decided to try and get artsy with the camera. The shots actually came out pretty cool! Bath time for the little engine.
IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Here is the 318 starting to come apart. My buddy needed a little more engineering fluid, so I was able to pause for a shot. :D
IMG_1430.jpg

There was definitely more than a few hard miles on this one.
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_1431.jpg
[/FONT]

My buddy working on the front pulleys.
IMG_1432.jpg

I know for a fact the timing had jumped at least a tooth because a gun was useless. I had to time the thing by ear and feel, which hastened the 318’s demise. This is why 20 year old kids shouldn’t be driving cool cars. :p
IMG_1436.jpg

Almost time to see what the heck happened when I lost all oil pressure and heard a deep, hard, knocking sound. I figured I had spun a bearing when the oil pump went, but that wasn’t the half of it.
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_1442.jpg
[/FONT]

Everything looking okay at first glance. Not great, but nothing deadly.
IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

Then the monster showed itself. I was right with my diagnosis: The engine had lost its oil pump, and I had spun not one or two, but THREE bearings. They all looked like this one.
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_1451.jpg
[/FONT]

Due to the damage the bearings did to the crank, I’ll have to have it turned for sure, and maybe just get a whole new unit. You can see on the right there, the grooves that are present. That won’t get me ten miles on a rebuild.

The engine itself is going to be a little hot, and *should* net me around 330 horsepower, at least on paper. Here’s the build list:

.030 over pistons

Port heads and add 2.02/1.60 (or 1.88/1.60) valves

Install the Comp Cams 256, built for low and mid-range torque. Nothing wild. It’s not a racer, it’s a cruiser. I just wanted some more thump.

Edelbrock manifold and either the Holley that was on it before or something by Carter. Either way, probably 650cfm.

Cheap headers from Summit.

The rest will be just basically putting it back together and hoping it all spins at the end of the day. This definitely won’t be your average 318, and I’m eager to see what it does from a stoplight. Stock #s were 230 HP and 340 torque, so I’m expecting a fun little engine, here.

I’m going to keep the freeway flyer gears and all that. The car likely won’t ever see the other side of the 1320; I just wanted a street cruiser with some get-up-and-go.

:)

Back