My 66 Sport Fury Convertible

rkrochen

Reaction score
I finally took my barn find 66 Sport Fury for a ride and it worked great. Wanted to find out if there are any issues with it before I start doing the restoration. So far I have purchased a new top, carpets and tires, new seat covers will be ordered soon. Mechanically this car is in excellent shape so I am looking forward to the restoration on the body.
Will post pictures as soon as the work begins, probably sometime in September. IMG_0657.jpgIMG_0658.jpgIMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

What a beautiful car. Is that original paint? If it is,maybe a good wet sanding and buff would be better than a repaint. It's only original once, from the pics, the interior looks great. Clean the engine bay up, new top, etc, it will be a worthy candidate for sure!
Thank you for sharing.

Wish it were the original paint but sadly it isn't. It is going to need to be done properly to make a real nice car but I knew that going into it. The car is solid so and I didn't overpay so I figure it is worth it. I will try to keep it original as I like the looks of it, more pics to come.

I am getting ready to start the restoration project this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find production data on this car. Basic info is available including production numbers (3418 made) but I would like to know how many were equipped equipped with a 318 automatic, power windows, power brakes, color combinations etc. The car will be put back to factory spec and I want to build a specification file for reference. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Well things are progressing and the body work is underway. I am attaching some pics to show what has been accomplished to date. The car is at a shop in Silver Manitoba called Paint it Black and they do awesome work, you can check out their website http://www.paintitblackcustoms.com.
I was hoping to get a recommendation on the rear quarter panels. As you can see we need to replace them and I have read a lot of posts about them, most don't sound all that good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.paintitblackcustoms.comIMG_0791.jpgIMG_0916.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Just to let you know we are planning on taking the windshield out, I figured it would be better if they do it so I don't butcher the trim too bad. Then the rest of the dash comes out. Also still pondering the engine and tranny, we will have to see how far the money goes.

This project has moved on to the point that they are getting ready to put some color to the car. I wanted to stay with the original color but they are telling me that the paint suppliers can't match that far back. The original color is a YY1 Bronze Metallic. Does anyone have any idea where to get this from. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks I will check it out. The paint supplier is Transtar, also checked out other Canadian suppliers with no luck. Hopefully this works out.

The pics will be coming soon. This car is about a 1000miles from here and the pics they are sending are formatted incorrectly and hard to view. Working on getting that resolved.
To date they have done a great job. The car media blasted, new trunk floor, new rear quarter panels, doors repaired, new floor panels and fenders repaired. It was in a lot worse shape than I had anticipated and we didn't realize it until the media blasting was done. At this time there are about 300hrs into it and still working on it.
Looking forward to the color being put on. Hope to have it on the road by the end of May.

Who's your supplier, Ace Hardware?
Bull.
Go to a real autobody supply store.
If you don't mind online ordering, I've used these guys.

Auto Color Library - We will match ANY Car Paint Color!

He is right about trying to get a match to old colours. I went through the same issue when I went for paint. No one had any formula match in the new BC/CC systems. Yes, a painter could use a colour scanner to try for a formula, but most of them just suggest the closest match using the new materials.

This will start a good conversation. I purchased the trunk pan and the floorboards from C2C, not much choice with this. The guys were quite pleased with them and they said they fit well. The rear quarter panels cam from Nor/Am not as lucky here. One side fit well the other side needs work. They were still pleased though as it is simpler than making new ones. I think the pics tell the story on the fit.
The paint was a nightmare but we simply went with a shade lighter from a newer year, most people wouldn't know the difference.

I'm finding this annoying. So much so, that I just called my FumBuck County paint dealer. He said he is no longer a PPG dealer, but when he was, he had access to the PPG online formula database for colors going back to Roman Chariot time.
You have any PPG dealers up there or are we gonna have to have Chip Foose hand mix it up? Lol.

Back