My 66 Sport Fury Convertible

They still have the formulas for single stage, but for many colours there is not a base/clear formula to cross-reference. Yes, a good painter would be able to tweak a close colour with a few sprayouts. The waterborne formulas are even harder to get a match.

They still have the formulas for single stage, but for many colours there is not a base/clear formula to cross-reference. Yes, a good painter would be able to tweak a close colour with a few sprayouts. The waterborne formulas are even harder to get a match.
Ah!! The color he made up for me was indeed a single stage. That must be it.

Newbie question then...
Why can't one use a single stage as a base coat?

I wanted it to stay original. In the end I am not an expert on paints so I went with their recommendation. I have seen his completed work and have full faith in what they are doing. In the end I am willing to make some concessions. We also discussed a color change but my wife loves this color and considering I am way over budget she wins.

I think it depends how much effort the supplier wants to put into it. a local body shop I deal with can't be bothered but the local auto parts store have the tools to match the car right up to the faded paint on the car using a paint scan gun.

Normally I would agree with this but the problem is that this car has a previous paint job. They used a red primer underneath and it is hard to find anywhere to get a good sample. From what we can tell the repaint is not the original color either. Anywhere there is old paint left it is badly faded or rusted.

3.jpg

I am hoping someone may know where I can get some parts. I need to source the following parts;
-2 of the side markers for the doors
-on the left side I require the front piece for the chrome trim on the convertible top.
-I will also require the driver's power window switch
Have a look at the picture to see the missing trim pieces. There is a missing trim on both doors.

Missing parts.jpg

A lot has happened over the last couple of years and I finally have time to update things. In that time I have retired and moved back to Manitoba. Did lots of remodeling on the new house and got the car done as well. Quite happy with how it turned out and we do enjoy driving it around especially with the top down. Our granddaughters love sitting in the back waving at people travelling to all the car shows.
I will post some pics to show the car as it was completed.

FC9AD0B5-3C76-4AB9-9E3C-18A39B86EE10.jpeg

EDD8FDFC-E37E-434A-82D4-E3F6F5EA5AC0.jpeg

F79B74B0-79F6-476C-B8BD-24203040053C.jpeg

EB526514-3AC3-4CA6-B08E-FC82C3613180.jpeg

38B36248-1A36-4647-9F21-16000C318B17.jpeg

Your car came out beautiful. I also like the trunk side panels you made. Do the '68 marker lights in the trunk come on when the trunk is opened? I *almost* asked why your spare tire wasn't in the normal place, but then I came to my senses. Duh, convertible...

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes the lights do come on when I open the trunk. I made the panels for a couple of reasons. The first is I like the look even though it’s not oem. The second is I was always worried that if I placed something in the trunk (like golf clubs) it could potentially hit the rear quarter panel and damage it. The Jack is in the right location behind the right panel.

I also happened across this. I know it’s not a c body but couldn’t resist it. Was using as a daily driver for the summer but may get rid of it soon. Equipped with a 360 2bbl and yes Corinthian leather. My son is quite interested in taking it.

6C299159-3E57-4287-B49D-9654AF354C21.jpeg

9AAFCEEB-A5DF-4E25-9CDD-4B5BB2473E2B.jpeg

C0E95D00-5882-4364-82F2-0A667E426211.jpeg

Beautiful restoration! Question: What did you use to seal the bottom of the quarter windows where they meet the top? There is a rubber coated piece that attaches to top of the rear quarter run channel. Mine were completely obliterated and I was unable to find reproductions when I restored my car. Did you have any luck finding these parts?

Beautiful restoration! Question: What did you use to seal the bottom of the quarter windows where they meet the top? There is a rubber coated piece that attaches to top of the rear quarter run channel. Mine were completely obliterated and I was unable to find reproductions when I restored my car. Did you have any luck finding these parts?[/QUOT

Not sure which ones you are talking about but mine were in decent shape. I did obtain all the weatherstripping for the windows though and these may have come in the kit. If you can send me a pic I will let you know.
What amazes me is how many of these that are getting fixed. There were only 3418 made and most got crushed due to rust in the backend.

Not sure which ones you are talking about but mine were in decent shape. I did obtain all the weatherstripping for the windows though and these may have come in the kit. If you can send me a pic I will let you know.
What amazes me is how many of these that are getting fixed. There were only 3418 made and most got crushed due to rust in the backend.

Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of the part itself. In the pic below, the part in question sealed the corner of the top in the circle. It's mounted to the very top of the quarter window rear run channel with a single sheet metal screw.

IMG_2811 copy.JPG

Back