My 66 yorker 440,

Old 66 Yorker

Reaction score
I've got a 1966 yorker 440. It's pretty cleaned up and I'm starting the build and repairs to make it a daily tomorrow.

So far I know it needs a new tank, a front motor mount and the power brake booster replaced.

Red interior and that almost yellow body. No idea where I'm going to go with this project but it is a proper sized car with a big block and that surely tickles my lower regions ).

Updates coming soon

The current look

20201018_103702_HDR.jpg

20201011_094846_HDR.jpg

20200828_120311.jpg

20200828_120317.jpg

Looks like a real nice car.

The tan exterior paired with a red interior isn't common, but I have seen it before on a '66 Newport that I owned a long time ago.

Definitely need to come up with a plan to lose the side markers. Obviously there are holes that were drilled to install them, which will make it tough. Even some tasteful decals placed over the holes would be an improvement.

Jeff

There is one small rip on the pleating in the driver's seat that looks like age and sun caused. Elsewise the interior is 9/10. Original radio even lights up and works.

Headliner is tight and looks pristine

That blinker install scream ' old guy" lol, I wonder how many people tried to talk the old owner out of it

Looks like a nice car. A good place to start tlc and polishing.

Definitely need to come up with a plan to lose the side markers. Obviously there are holes that were drilled to install them, which will make it tough.

I think just black plugs would look better than the trailer lights.

Great looking car. I love the 4 door hardtop body style of those Chryslers. Looks like it's a good solid car to start with. I won't mention the truck clearance lights since everyone else did. Haha. Have fun and keep us posted.

I would have a trusted body guy remove the trailer side markers and fill in the holes and paint to match. It would look so much better without those tacky lights.

Yes yes, those lights will be going ))

Body is perfectly straight and solid but the paint is very faded and thin, even some shrink cracks.

Will be getting a new top coat at the least.

Back when my '66 New Yorker was a daily driver, I thought some side markers would be a good idea, especially on a black car. I was planing to install very similar lights to those, but hidden inside the edges of the bumpers, so that the light would shine on the chrome bumper surround trim and reflect out. For better or worse, the car ended up being retired before I got around to that project.

Jeff

'66 New Yorker is one of my faves……. especially w/the red interior...……. great one to start from/with...….. enjoy cruising, and let it "evolve" as you go...….

Very nice... I love those old slab side cars, Can't wait to see the progress on this. Keep the pictures coming :)

So I started my back end crawl with the goal of installing a cr20b fuel tank.

First thing I found was that the trunk floor is beautiful, left rear quarter not so much...
Also found a set of both over sized and dented rear shocks.

20201119_090105.jpg

20201119_090043.jpg

New shocks are on the way and hopefully that will add to the space I need to get a tank in that's 2.5 inches too long.

While waiting for the shocks I'm pulling out the trailer hitch and kayak rack the old owner had installed....I do cars, not boats.

Pretty new shocks.

20201119_140342.jpg

Yes, this normally ugly job on the ground is pretty easy with the gas tank out. Almost felt like cheating.

Back