My '73 Monaco wagon

In seeing the above pictures of a Monaco wagon (with woodgrain) and a Polara wagon (just side trim), I came to realize that there was no real model differentiation in the side trim, just the addition of woodgrain to the Monaco wagons. Which I find kind of interesting!

In general, I do like the way the wagon looks now. Even if some items might not be exactly correct for a wagon vehicle. As in the W23 wheels rather than the correct wagon 15x6.5" wheels and wheel covers.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

nothing wrong with lots of yellow..... :)

1651032997414.png

Salut mon homme, un tres beau bazoo! J aime beaucoup les poigners a l arriere, des poigners come un pompier!
Garde ton vehicule la mainiere que tu veux l avoir. Il y as beaucoup de monde sure ce site qui vont te dire comment ton vehicle doie etre. Mon vehicle est une combinaison de Monaco et Polara, pas par choix, mes a cause de la condition que je l acheter. Si je soie tois je le garderer jaune sans le bois.

Bonne chance,

PT

Garde ton vehicule la mainiere que tu veux l avoir. Il y as beaucoup de monde sure ce site qui vont te dire comment ton vehicle doie etre. Mon vehicle est une combinaison de Monaco et Polara, pas par choix, mes a cause de la condition que je l acheter. Si je soie tois je le garderer jaune sans le bois.

Bonne chance,

PT
Merci pour ce commentaire en français ! :thumbsup: (Thank you for this comment in French!)

I have questions about the sheduled date or purchase date of my Monaco. The build sheet and data plate says: 818 so 18 august. But what year ? 1972 or 1973, so an early car or late car ? When i look at the other '73 Monaco with data plate My new to me 73 Monaco i see a a higher serial number (159... vs 120...) and a date of 10-25-72 on the dealer notice.
So my car would have been produced before this one and therefore in August 1972 ? What could explain the '72 taillights to empty the stocks ?

Merci pour ce commentaire en français ! :thumbsup: (Thank you for this comment in French!)

I have questions about the sheduled date or purchase date of my Monaco. The build sheet and data plate says: 818 so 18 august. But what year ? 1972 or 1973, so an early car or late car ? When i look at the other '73 Monaco with data plate My new to me 73 Monaco i see a a higher serial number (159... vs 120...) and a date of 10-25-72 on the dealer notice.
So my car would have been produced before this one and therefore in August 1972 ? What could explain the '72 taillights to empty the stocks ?
I never get to exercise my french much, nice wagon, keep it the way it is and again love the firemen's handles at the back, comes with foot rests to boot!

The model year would be defined in the VIN space for model year. August usually is something, or used to be, a transition time in the industry. Where "last year's" vehicles were finished and just before (or right at) when the "next model year's" vehicles started in pilot production.

HI TRY DROPPING THE EXHAUST PIPES AT THE MANIFOLD IF THE HEADER PIPE HAS COLLAPSED INSIDE OR MUFFLERS ARE CLOGGED IT WILL NOT EXCELERATE THIS COMES FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH MY 78 CHYRSLER WAGON

T3D. 440 1973 built in Belvidere, IL — 818 is means it’s an early build in August 1972.

Thanks for the replies about date of my car, this confirms what I thought, an "early car production". And maybe a full-options car to show off at a dealership? .
Afterwards, a car from August 1973, what would it have as a build date? Or is there no August 73 car?

Hi all,
First of all sorry if there are spelling or syntax errors I am French but I try to do my best...
I owned this Monaco wagon since the summer of 2021, one of its former owners (if not several?) is on this forum and thanks to him I was able to trace it back to the son of the 2nd owner (approximately 1976-2014) so I know almost all its history except the first 2 years.
It is a very optioned model, there are almost all the possible options of 1973 ! I join pics of the option plates (there are two, not enough space on one !) and the broadcast sheet. I wonder how much the buyer paid on top of the base price...It no longer has the woodgrain according to the son of the 2nd owner the material was of poor quality and faded after a few months or years. But also there's no repros so maybe I'll leave it that way.
I am still not very satisfied with some points. I find that the 440 is very lazy, it is less powerful than a 318, no torque, etc ... I know it's a low compression engine so I'm going to put it back in the 1969-70 configuration next winter . Could also be a converter problem? The transmission was renewed (said the seller) recently. I'll open a new thread for advice.
I also have issues with corrosion of the rear cross member and body mounts. The seller was careful not to talk about it and the person who saw it and bought it for me did not inspect it seriously ... After when it arrived in France it's difficult to send it back!

View attachment 527625

View attachment 527624

View attachment 527626

View attachment 527632

View attachment 527631

View attachment 527633
Chez magnifique! Love it!

Agree with comments above. September used to be the traditional beginning of the “new model year”. It is possible tail-lights we’re transitioning from “old stock” of 1972, before going to a different style in 1973. It is also possible those are not factory original tail-lights, and that some owner along the way just thought they looked better. For example, my car had Polara tail-lights installed at some point…but, I am not sure if they were any different than same year Monaco. Often, there is only a small change from year to year, a little extra silver paint, for example.

Phil - FCBO member “SwissABC” shared that she is working to get the faux wood grain made for her car. Maybe they could make a set for you as well! You should contact her, if her shop is in Switzerland it would make a lovely cross-border trip for you from France to Switzerland in your Monaco!

I know of a shop here in the US which made mine. It is not exactly a perfect color match to factory original, but I was pleased with the results nonetheless. The US shop could change the colors and wood grain “texture” detail a bit and perhaps send a finished vinyl wrap “vehicle set” to you internationally? They did good work here, but I suspect you will find very good results in the shop in Switzerland, and easier to complete for you.

Hi all,
First of all sorry if there are spelling or syntax errors I am French but I try to do my best...
I owned this Monaco wagon since the summer of 2021, one of its former owners (if not several?) is on this forum and thanks to him I was able to trace it back to the son of the 2nd owner (approximately 1976-2014) so I know almost all its history except the first 2 years.
It is a very optioned model, there are almost all the possible options of 1973 ! I join pics of the option plates (there are two, not enough space on one !) and the broadcast sheet. I wonder how much the buyer paid on top of the base price...It no longer has the woodgrain according to the son of the 2nd owner the material was of poor quality and faded after a few months or years. But also there's no repros so maybe I'll leave it that way.
I am still not very satisfied with some points. I find that the 440 is very lazy, it is less powerful than a 318, no torque, etc ... I know it's a low compression engine so I'm going to put it back in the 1969-70 configuration next winter . Could also be a converter problem? The transmission was renewed (said the seller) recently. I'll open a new thread for advice.
I also have issues with corrosion of the rear cross member and body mounts. The seller was careful not to talk about it and the person who saw it and bought it for me did not inspect it seriously ... After when it arrived in France it's difficult to send it back!

View attachment 527625

View attachment 527624

View attachment 527626

View attachment 527632

View attachment 527631

View attachment 527633
Tres magnifique votre Monaco. Tu a trouvez une belle exemplaire!

Phil - FCBO member “SwissABC” shared that she is working to get the faux wood grain made for her car. Maybe they could make a set for you as well! You should contact her, if her shop is in Switzerland it would make a lovely cross-border trip for you from France to Switzerland in your Monaco!

I know of a shop here in the US which made mine. It is not exactly a perfect color match to factory original, but I was pleased with the results nonetheless. The US shop could change the colors and wood grain “texture” detail a bit and perhaps send a finished vinyl wrap “vehicle set” to you internationally? They did good work here, but I suspect you will find very good results in the shop in Switzerland, and easier to complete for you.

20220420_150725.jpg

20220429_162818.jpg

Here is a photo of a 73, but woodgrain looks different than my 73. Dark brown is inset. I think there were three different types:
Like my 73 (outline brown, inset oak)
Like SwissABC (outline brown, roof & pillar brown, inset oak)
Like this 73 (outline oak, inset brown ‘mahogany’)

560327FA-E9C5-467D-9E98-A18AEBBA63DF.jpeg

Back