My buddies grand dad's car 72 Chrysler newport

cuda hunter

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is my ford buddies grand dad's car. he's talked about taking the motor out for random stuff. Eastern Colorado on the border of Kansas. So probably go in a chevy work truck or something. Those plains farmers are something else. Needs fixed, rummage through some dust and find something to fix anything. Anyway, eastern plains car, has basically no rust. This was a running car when it was parked probably 30 something years ago. Just sits there and holds parts of other cars. I've joked with him multiple times about getting the thing running and driving it. He thinks I'm crazy. He's not selling it. I wanted to post it up and just have you guys pick this thing apart. What do you think about getting something like this running again? I understand the mechanics, no issue there. But what about the trashed interior? Is this interior findable on a rusted out car? what else do yal see about this car. Please don't be afraid to say it's a piece of crap. Let me know.

A few things that have my curiosity up. Decoder says 400 on the vin but says 383 on the E63.
and what is the stripe call out v5Y? I don't see it on the car. Is it in the stainless body side moldings?

CM41:
Chrysler
Medium
4 Door Sedan
M2C: 400 190HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA
260541: Sequence number
E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
GY9: Dark Gold Poly Exterior Color
D3Y5: Trim - Luxury, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Unknown Color
GY9: Dark Gold Poly Int. Door Frames
414: Build Date: April 14
283883: Order number
V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
N23: Electronic Ignition System
V5Y: Body Side Stripes, Yellow
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
R31: Rear Seat Speaker(s)

20200303_172328_HDR.jpg

20200303_172335_HDR.jpg

20200303_172347_HDR.jpg

20200303_172358_HDR.jpg

20200303_172604.jpg

Early hemi head on the fender.

Interior parts have gotten more difficult to find, but you have an advantage that it's green. Every freaking interior part that I find for any of my cars is almost always green... Drives me a little nuts, but whatever... It's a short drive.

It really depends on how rough the interior is and what you need.

Honestly, I think it would be a great parts car. Fixing it up... I don't know... For time and money spent, I think you could find a nice C body that's running and driving.

gold with a green interior. that would be an interesting look.
So gold isn't that common then?

As far as getting it running. Figure on the gas tank, fuel hoses and probably the fuel pump being trashed. Brakes will be toast also, will need all new hoses, wheel cylinders and possibly steel lines at a minimum. Boosters are also usually shot on a car that has sat for that long. Car is missing the radiator. Tires are all going to be shot. If the engine is still free, it can probably be salvaged. Will need some TLC with some light oil in the cylinders and the valve guides need a shot of penetrating oil. Timing chain should be replaced prior to starting the engine. Ignition stuff like plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor will need to be replaced. Distributor is missing and that provides an entry point for critters to build a nest inside the engine, if they did that the engine is likely junk. Carb will also need a rebuild. Also will need new coolant hoses. In short, this is going to be a major project just to get it running if that is even possible.

Dave

You know, I have an almost mint condition black interior (bench buckets at that) out of a 72 NYB that would be perfect for this car....:poke:

As far as getting it running. Figure on the gas tank, fuel hoses and probably the fuel pump being trashed. Brakes will be toast also, will need all new hoses, wheel cylinders and possibly steel lines at a minimum. Boosters are also usually shot on a car that has sat for that long. Car is missing the radiator. Tires are all going to be shot. If the engine is still free, it can probably be salvaged. Will need some TLC with some light oil in the cylinders and the valve guides need a shot of penetrating oil. Timing chain should be replaced prior to starting the engine. Ignition stuff like plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor will need to be replaced. Distributor is missing and that provides an entry point for critters to build a nest inside the engine, if they did that the engine is likely junk. Carb will also need a rebuild. Also will need new coolant hoses. In short, this is going to be a major project just to get it running if that is even possible.
Dave

That does put it in perspective pretty well. thanks
I just don't think of all the little stuff like that until I have a project sitting in my only garage bay.

You know, I have an almost mint condition black interior (bench buckets at that) out of a 72 NYB that would be perfect for this car....:poke:

Is the New Yorker Brougham the same interior as a Newport?

where can i find a 2 door 1972 newport custom so i can get the side molding

Back