My clock is freaking out!

Reaction score
So ive been driving my car all weekend cause the weather has been great. Anyways since ive owned the car the dome lights havent worked. Neither has the cigarette lighter thats in the ash tray. I just use the cigarette lighters in the back of my seats as my phone charger lol. Anyways i replaced the blown fuse for dash dome lights and cigarette lighter and my clock is making all kinds of noise and the hands are flying around! I mean in 30 seconds the hour hand has flown from 12 to 12 again! Any ideas before i tear my dash apart. Maybe a bad ground?? And this is on my 67 New Yorker

Those older clocks have a self-regulating mechanism in them. As they are re-set, it's supposed to adjust that self-regulation a bit. But not sure why your's has begun running so fast? Usually, it's the other way around. As it's now running, try adjusting the time backwards rather than forward and see if that helps.

There are a set of "points" in the clock that help run and "wind" it. Normally, with time, they'll corrode and the clock stops . . . not see how fast they can run. Possibly they've revived as "ignition points"? Might need to remove that fuse, lest the "running clock" will discharge the battery!

CBODY67

So ive been driving my car all weekend cause the weather has been great. Anyways since ive owned the car the dome lights havent worked. Neither has the cigarette lighter thats in the ash tray. I just use the cigarette lighters in the back of my seats as my phone charger lol. Anyways i replaced the blown fuse for dash dome lights and cigarette lighter and my clock is making all kinds of noise and the hands are flying around! I mean in 30 seconds the hour hand has flown from 12 to 12 again! Any ideas before i tear my dash apart. Maybe a bad ground?? And this is on my 67 New Yorker
Your clock runs on the same fuse as the lighter and dome light.
The clock is fubar'ed. Not a ground issue since the dash is ground.

Both the 66 and 68 Chrysler's I did a modern quartz movement upgrade and rebuilt the clocks.
Works great!!

Its the wirdest thing on how fast its running. And its super annoying the noise the clock is making. But i will look into rebuiding and updating it!

My guess on you clock, is that the points on the clock are fused together. Instead of the spark winding the mechnical clock you are now running the clock through the battery. This can't be good on the clock either.

I would first disconnect the battery and then the clock. Before you do I would love to see a video of it. :)

You might even get lucky with the clock, if you can separate the the points and clean them up they might work fine. I checked mine with a trickle charger or you can use your battery.

Side note my voltage regulator went bad and my clock quit working. This could be part of the problem it you got a surge through the system.

Back