My conundrum

71ChargerSE

Reaction score
I bought a wagon that had been put up for a few years, in the Texas sun. http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?7690-Hey-all! Body's great shape for the most part, other than the paint being baked off, interior is ehh, seats are decent, back 2 seats are really nice, just needing a good cleaning, but most everything else is crispy or water damaged from the windows being cracked about 3/4". The wiring is trashed, either hacked or dried out with the covering missing.

My issue is what do I do with the one I have now, as much as I hate to part it, that's where I'm leaning. The motor, trans and rear are spoken for, if I go that route.

A buddy of mine turned this up, gave me a great deal it and is now holding it for me. Other than the carpet and headliner this interior is perfect.

tearing apart a wagon is a tough call, not many left and they need to be saved. If you dont know what to do, try and find a buyer first, a serious buyer. Not a derby buyer

I was hoping to sell it to someone that has a rotted one that needs a solid parts car. I'm not unloading to a derbier, I'll part it and save the pieces to keep others alive.

Other that the drivers door, which was whacked and repaired with a dent puller that left about 50 holes and a bit of filler, and 2 small holes in front of each rear tire, the body is nice. Even the spare tire well is intact.

So you got that one from Kirk....Right on!

I wouldn't worry too much about parting the one you have now out. Many will say they should be saved, but you can only spend so much time trying to find a buyer. And even if you part it out how long do you sit on the parts trying to find buyers for those as well.

I have a shed and garage full of parts that I've been sitting on for years, and I'm running out of room. Would love to sell this stuff cheap, and see people use it...but I'm getting to the point of having less and less room to work on my stuff. Think I will soon have to do a big purge...as much as I hate to do it.

I know, I'll hang on to it as long as possible. At the bare minimum long enough to get the other one home to grab enough spare or needed pieces for the new car. If I can't find any buyers I'll pull every usable part off this one, and scrap the back half of the shell. I'm pretty fortunate, as most of us are, to have a really understanding wife, and the bonus of a nice sized, partitioned, back yard.

Although, like you, a purge is coming, nothing worthwhile though, a basket case '71 Charger shell, a POS '84 GMC truck, my nephew's '84 Camaro and hopefully my '80 Cherokee Chief. That will leave me with the pair of wagons and my '71 Charger...

Damn, I just realized I have 5 cars and a pair of trailers in the back yard... :Groaner:

Here ya go

2013-03-24_16-55-23_95-1.jpg

2013-03-24_16-55-34_210.jpg

2013-03-24_16-55-55_461.jpg

It Rhino lined inside and out, 360/727 with part-time 4wd.

I have a friend who has a big wrecking yard. He has a 71 Chrysler 4 door that has a wiring harness I am pretty sure, if you want to get a start on reviving it. If anyone in early C bodies with a 60 Pioneer Dart wagon needs wagon specific parts he has one of them also. Also a 62 Dodge 880 with a good grille. May be wrong on year of the 880.

Hickory, Ms. 601-646 2210 Charles is his name, and he is a car guy, but like most wrecking yard owners, a little gruff.Tell him or his wife, who mostly answers the phone, I sent you....(Randy) After the 1 st frost, I dont have a problem crawling under a dash. especially if I'm still off work.

Back