My D440 project

Ok in park sitting in the driveway when I rev it up. At 2200 RPM it starts to miss & pop out the exhaust. It gets worse as it revs higher. Disconnect the vacuum advance at the distributor & plug the hose and it revs smoothly up to 3000 rpm. No miss or piping. Thinking I have a bad advance canister.
Take a long hard look at the breaker plate as the advance moves it thru it's arc. See if it's tipping and screwing up the dwell angle.

There is a clip on the pivot point that is the same on both types they do split.

It’s an electronic distributor if that matters
Advance plate still moves..pickup's air gap could change. Put a dwell meter on it and suck on the can with it idling. ....see what happens. If the ignition goes nuts when the advance can moves the plate there's something screwy going on in there.

Tolerance for the dwell is +/- @ degrees easiest way to check it running. Also will let you know if the shaft bushings are worn.

Sounds like I just need to go ahead & get a new dizzy. Summit has one with a performance curve & all new parts with an adjustable vacuum advance for $112

Watch the curve on it get a adjustable one if possible.

I would ask them for what the curve is just to be safe. I have rebuilt a few of them a good drop in but pretty fast mech advance.

Take a long hard look at the breaker plate as the advance moves it thru it's arc. See if it's tipping and screwing up the dwell angle.
I put a vacuum tester on the distributor advance & the advance plate starts to move at 11 inches & stops at 16 inches. Looked smooth & the plate is firm. No tilting. I would have thought the advance would move further than 16 inches ? Put the cap back on. Replaced the advance hose & same issue. 2300 it pops & misses. Disconnected & plug advance & rev to 3000 & just a bit of misfire.

I put a vacuum tester on the distributor advance & the advance plate starts to move at 11 inches & stops at 16 inches. Looked smooth & the plate is firm. No tilting. I would have thought the advance would move further than 16 inches ? Put the cap back on. Replaced the advance hose & same issue. 2300 it pops & misses. Disconnected & plug advance & rev to 3000 & just a bit of misfire.
Idle engine and apply vacuum to the can. See if misfire is related to the moving of the advance plate. Maybe wires from pickup are going open as plate moves.

72824EA8-B6FE-4D91-B5AC-03BEEA7239A2.jpeg
541B93A6-53E6-4D21-BC9D-9699FEE4BCB4.jpeg
Well I fixed it. I checked everything & could find nothing wrong so I pulled a distributor from an old 440 motorhome engine I have taking up space in the shop. Surprised to see it didn’t have a vacuum advance canister mounted to it. Also it was about 3/16 shorter than the dizzy I pulled out of the D440. Im not sure why. I went on & put it in. Kinda guessed at the timing. If fired right up & seeme to run quite well. Put my vacuum gauge on it. Plugged the old port from the old dizzy. Put a timming light on it. I have it at 14 BTDC 18 inches 850 RPM based on tach. Seemed to idle very good. Went down the road. Great throttle response. Got out to the highway. The light had the traffic stopped. Pulled out about the time the light changed. Let her rip. Looked back & a newer BMW was gaining try to catch me. Went all the way to the floor & wow does it run. Looked back & the BMW backed off. I honestly believe it’s faster than it was. It was building RPM fast. Tach went past 4000 & I let off. Pretty pleased.

E8E6EF5B-D292-4F9C-BBEB-713F248816EC.jpeg
0996EC80-D507-4747-927E-ED82710AD864.jpeg
30A22B1B-7519-40B0-A6F6-AF14D4805D17.jpeg
40F96A7E-C1F1-4762-82AE-0FEB84A855CA.jpeg
5DA3AE2B-2CBC-4C45-A88E-6905ACFFDA9D.jpeg
0CB8F005-FB85-42FE-9830-88CAABE75748.jpeg
I was so excited about how well it was running that I decided to spend some time on her today. Last year when I buffed out the paint the hood just didn’t come out that good. So I popped the Dodge name off the hood. Cleaned that up with lacquer thinner. Then I color sanded the entire hood with 3000 grit wet paper. Then 3 stage buff. The hood shines mighty fine now. I may color sand the whole truck now.

Last edited:
Back