My ignition options , thoughts?

peterlucas

Reaction score
hi , i can either go the mopar electronic ignition conversion kit and MSD coil or for around the same price i can get the pertronix conversion kit , new coil and MSD streetfighter cd ingition unit what would be the better option and if i go the pertronix , MSD way can i bypass the ballast resistor?

I converted my 383 to electronic using a Mopar factory system and I'm very happy with it. I'm still using the same coil and resistor that I was using with my breaker points distributor. The nice thing about the Mopar system is that you can get parts for it at most parts stores (for now anyway), or boneyards in an emergency, if it fails while you're on the road 500 miles from home. The aftermarket ones would have to have parts ordered for them. To answer your question, the Pertronix doesn't use the ballast resistor. MSD has information, including diagrams, on their website for how to install their Streetfire systems. AFAIK the MSD box can also be used with the Mopar electronic and points style distributors.

Last edited:
My 2 cents, unless your racing it, I would stick with the stock Mopar electronic ignition parts. It's just so much easier to deal with.

The original Pertronix Ignitor requires a regular coil and ballast. It is similar to the old Mopar electronic module. I would consider only the Ignitor II, which is similar to the GM HEI module and lets you run a better E-core coil and no ballast. The new Ignitor III is even better with multi-spark. I wouldn't fool with the old Mopar module since funky wiring, expensive, problematic, and low performing.

If you have an RB engine (413, 440), you can get a new distributor w/ integral HEI module for ~$50 on ebay (skipwhite & others, search: "read to run" distributor). For $20 more, a new E-core coil. If a BB engine (383, 400) like me, retrofit your points distributor, if OK, w/ Pertronix, Accel, or other "under-cap" modules or get an e-distributor and connect the pickup to a GM HEI 8-pin module and their "external coil" ($30 junkyard). Many posts on www.forabodiesonly.com. I am using an older Crane Cams XR100 ignition on the points distributor of my Newport, which requires the original coil and ballast, until the Chinese make a ready-to-run distributor for the BB.

Bill G:
Your technical savvy is incredible.
That's damn good info...

Sent using Forum Runner

does the pertronix plug n play ignitor III multispark? im talkin bout the complete new billet distrubitor not the conversion kit

Well after what I just found with my pertonix, and swapping to the mopar electronic ignition...I will never stray form the mopar ignition again. So I say go with the tried and true mopar electronic ignition.

Before I decided on which system to go with I remember researching a lot of other kits and systems. I remember Pertronix not needing a ballast resistor but I must have just been looking at the IgnitorII. My bad. I was probably going to go with Pertronix if I hadn't decided on Mopar. I thought about using the MSD Streetfire box with my Mopar electronic distributor but decided to try the factory electronic module first. I also had looked at DUI but ruled it out. That distributor is just too big! I'm glad that I went with the Mopar system. My engine starts quicker, runs smoother and seems to have slightly more power than it did with points. It was also a dirt cheap upgrade because I was able to get everything I needed at the boneyard except an electronic distributor for a 383. I improvised and used parts from a 400 "Lean Burn" distributor and a 318 electronic distributor to convert my points dizzy to electronic. I can always add a hotter coil later if I want to. Besides, my engine is only going to be mildly modified so it's never going to see 7,000 r.p.m. so the Mopar system is really all I need. This way I can save my money for some other cool stuff for my C.

Last edited:
Back