My new ‘64 Imperial convertible

I have always thought Elwood Engle was a genius when it came to styling. He left Ford in 1961, replacing Virgil Exner at Chrysler who had health problems that caused him to retire. Engle did the 1961 - 1963 Lincoln Continentals at Ford that sent a shock wave through the industry at the end of the big fins era. He knew how to create elegance and style with understatement too. The 1964 and up Imperials were also his work, and the lineage was apparent. And beautiful to my eye.

Elwood stayed at Chrysler through the Fuselage cars, leaving in 1974. I also thought the fuselage cars were some of his best work too.

Congratulations Matt!

$_1.jpg

valenti-313-lincoln-004.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice score Matt! Great color combo and one of my favorite style of Imperials. As Jed Clampet might have said," Lookie yonder here comes Mr. Dryesdale." Ellwood Engle was the man when it came to automotive design. That Imperial found a good home. Have fun.

Great color combo.
Here are a few gaps I can fill in.
F7 - (357) Power Door Locks
G9 - (359) Automatic Beam Changer (though it doesn't appear to be there in the picture)
H5 - (365) AM/FM Radio includes rear speaker and power antenna
K5 - (385) Heater w/defrosters
L6 - (396) Black Convertible Top
M7 - (407) Deck Lid Lock Remote Control
W6 - (416) Reverb unit for Radio
From the picture you also have (491) Manual outside right hand mirror. You may also have (350) Auto Pilot and/or (410) Adjustable Steering Wheel. These do not show up on the fender tag.

well first of all, congrats on the new toy!, you'll have to post more pix when you take possession. Is the car a driver at this point? oh, I wanted to ask, do you ever drive your roadrunner and is that anything you could also post a pix of?
It hasn’t run in 12 years but the engine turns over and it ran when parked.:lol:
It also doesn’t have its original seats but comes with seats out of a ‘67 vert just as place holders. I haven’t really given it a close inspection yet as I didn’t even have a minute to look at a car I had no intention of buying when I was there before...
I do know that it needs some interior floorpan work from prolonged wet carpet but I think it’s otherwise spotless and the dozens of underbody pics I have corroborate that.
And lastly the RR has been languishing in my buddies collision shop for 7 years waiting to get in the way of a paint gun, it’s going to be nice one day though I just know it.:thumbsup:

Very nice! Congrats and good luck with your new car. Love the 60's Imperials, such spectacular cars. Now that you have another Imperial, you wouldn't be competing with a certain dentist here (although his are all fuselage)? Really nice color combo. Charcoal with red leather sounds very rich. I am sure it has power fly windows.:thumbsup: i wish I had the garage space for an Imperial, especially a '67 or '68 Crown Coupe.
I’ll have a nice green coupe for sale this spring!:thumbsup:

So would that be a 383-4 with the cast 727?
There are broadcast sheet decoders out there for a 64 so hopefully you can locate one in the car.
No seats so hopefully it’ll be elsewhere?

Nice car(s)!

:thumbsup:

What is the plan with the 2 new cars? Are you keeping them???
I already have what I consider to be the best ‘67 Coupe left so the green one will get some needed mechanical work while it’s with me and will be up for sale ready for the next very lucky owner to enjoy.
I might just fall in love with the ‘64.:rolleyes:

Great color combo.
Here are a few gaps I can fill in.
F7 - (357) Power Door Locks
G9 - (359) Automatic Beam Changer (though it doesn't appear to be there in the picture)
H5 - (365) AM/FM Radio includes rear speaker and power antenna
K5 - (385) Heater w/defrosters
L6 - (396) Black Convertible Top
M7 - (407) Deck Lid Lock Remote Control
W6 - (416) Reverb unit for Radio
From the picture you also have (491) Manual outside right hand mirror. You may also have (350) Auto Pilot and/or (410) Adjustable Steering Wheel. These do not show up on the fender tag.
So it is loaded! I’m pretty excited about this car!!:thankyou:

Very happy for you Matt. Hope to set my eyes on them in person in a month.

It could be in the front seat back.
No seats whatsoever. The previous owner who who passed away had taken them to an upholstery shop and they are no longer in existence.:BangHead:

So it is loaded! I’m pretty excited about this car!!:thankyou:

Way-ta-go, Matt! I love the '64 Imperials - especially the convertibles. A true movie-set car. I think they used one in the "Mad Men" series on TV a few years ago. Mighty Fine!

No seats whatsoever. The previous owner who who passed away had taken them to an upholstery shop and they are no longer in existence.:BangHead:

Man that sucks, I wondered what happened to them. He obviously never threw anything away, and accumulated quite an additional amount of Mopar parts

Man that sucks, I wondered what happened to them. He obviously never threw anything away, and accumulated quite an additional amount of Mopar parts
I think the upholstery shop discarded or sold them off after not hearing from the owner? Just a guess though.

Back