My Project; 1971 Newport Custom

Wildaugust

Reaction score
Welcome To

009 (2) - Copy - '71 Chrysler Newport - Project -Thread - Copy.jpg

009 (2) - Copy - '71 Chrysler Newport - Project -Thread - Copy.jpg

Well, I've been on the site for quite some time now and for some reason haven't got around to starting a Project Thread. So, that is exactly what I am going to do right now. :)

This is my 1971 Newport Custom. I've owned it since 1993. It's not perfect, some would say not even close, but it's mine. So please try not to laugh too hard. Yeah, she looks rough, but if you ignore the body and paint, the car is otherwise almost completed. Other than rebuild my engine, which actually still runs quite well for the amount of miles on it, the only thing that needs to be done is the front suspension. I try to do at least one thing to her every year. I've already done the brakes, rebuilt my trans, installed dual exhausts with Turbo mufflers and installed aftermarket wheels, which help make her look like a project instead of a "beater".

The car still has what I believe to be the original 383 under the hood. The engine started life as a 2-Barrel L-code unit, but I bought a Mopar M1 Dual Plane and a Carter AVS 4-Barrel for her. I've also converted my engine to electronic ignition. The odometer shows 125,000 miles, which may be the true mileage for all I know. I know nothing about this car's history between 1971 and 1981, but I've known the history of the car since 1981 and it was only driven about 6,000 miles during the 1980s. It spent most of it's time just sitting until I became the proud owner in '93. I only drove it once in 1993, to bring it home. I didn't drive it again until the summer of 1998, when I drove it for about four months as my daily driver, putting around 3,000 miles on it. I didn't drive it again until 2008. Since then I've been putting anywhere between 300 to 500 miles on every summer. My plan is to keep her on the road and cruisin' as long as I can while I'm working on her. I don't want her sitting in my garage for ten years waiting to be put back together. Been there, done that with my other project. I want to have this car completed, on the road and cruisin' while they still sell gasoline! :laughing:

Last edited:
Great start to your project thread from a fellow Canucklehead. Looking forward to the big thaw in 6 months to get down and dirty Im guessing! Better late than never will be what Ill be sayin this spring when I finally get to work on the twins! Keep the updates coming and don't forget the pictures!

Dobalovr, thanks. Yeah, I hope to make some progress on her this Spring/Summer. My garage isn't heated yet, so during winter I mostly try to gather parts.

I'm glad you started a project thread. I look forward to following it!

Seems like you have done a lot of nice work - the car runs smooth and pretty quiet and seems to ride nicely. Is that a hood hold down pin at the front of the hood I am seeing in the video? It would be nice to see a couple photos of your car in the daylight. I also like that it is a Newport Custom, nice!

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

saforwardlook, You are correct, you did see hood pins. I had been thinking of removing the safety catch, mainly because I nearly always bang my head on it when I'm working under the hood. I decided to leave it and try to remember that it's there. :laughing7:

I do like the look of hood pins on cars of this era though.

cantflip, There will be more pics coming. I plan on making another video when I get started working on her again. I didn't take a lot of pictures when I was working on her a few years ago. I wish now that I had.

I have taken a few pics.

My BFG Radials and aftermarket wheels. I love the way this car rides. I made some Headlight Relays for her. In this pic they are almost finished.

004 (3) -FCBO Thread - Copy -.jpg

I installed a set of Accel wires when I converted to electronic ignition. The Coolant Recovery bottle is from an early seventies A-body. My car didn't come with one, but I thought it would be a good thing to have. There's a hole in my grille that I will be fixing. A PO deliberately made the hole so that he could run the Block Heater cord through the grille, instead of over top of it! :BangHead:

The grille is almost perfect otherwise.

004 (3) -FCBO Thread - Copy -.jpg

196A - FCBO Thread - Copy.jpg

I've been driving her every Summer since 2008, except for 2014. I didn't drive my Newport at all that year, mainly because of other unrelated issues. I almost didn't get to drive her in 2015 either, but decided that I wanted to cruise at least a couple of times, so I registered in October. At least I got to drive her a couple of times before the end of the season. :)

196A - FCBO Thread - Copy.jpg

The overflow bottle was a good upgrade IMO, I don't care as much about the environmental impact as the ability to for the cooling system to keep full and air purge this provides. I also like taking the current load off the headlight switch. Nice patch harness... now start a binder so you have part numbers and wire schematics for use down the road when something doesn't work or you pass the car to the next owner. It really helps to track all of your changes as well as those hard to find part numbers when they disappear from the catalogue.

Just keep enjoying her as much as you can...

saforwardlook, You are correct, you did see hood pins. I had been thinking of removing the safety catch, mainly because I nearly always bang my head on it when I'm working under the hood. I decided to leave it and try to remember that it's there. :laughing7:

LOL I recognize thát, banging your head on the safety catch...did happen to me many times. I'm bold so no hair to protect at least a little bit. So when I'm working on my car I always wear a cap...

I have a 1971 Newport 2door and also planning to do the headlight conversion. That overflow option?...mmm, good choice

Luigi

Cut up a tennis ball and stick it on the hood latch when you are working on it.

I have one that I toss in behind the grille and it rides around on the splash shield until needed.

Cut up a tennis ball and stick it on the hood latch when you are working on it.

I have one that I toss in behind the grille and it rides around on the splash shield until needed.
Now why didn't I think of that six years and several banged heads ago? Thanks for the tip. Look forward to your thread Wildaugust, from another 71 Newport custom owner, and keep your eyes peeled for a good grille, they're around, he must not have noticed the two large rectangular cutouts in the valance?

Back