My rebuilt 440

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A little look at the rebuilt 440 for the 68. It was rebuilt in February of 2021. Today was the first time I’ve seen it ever since then! I had it saran wrapped and draped with an XL garbage bag and then double tarped ever since!!

Here’s a look at it before

1BBB65BE-3081-466C-B6AD-9F3576A035AD.jpeg

E8215738-FD62-44B0-8A72-F57FC5EFD26A.jpeg

9298E5D6-81C2-417C-AB85-DAB17290C434.jpeg

Check out that beautiful ride!

0019C539-035B-4FA5-B6D7-4983B7F38720.jpeg

Here’s the torque monster 440 in the flesh! Been masking off the important stuff (still have more to go) so we can paint it. It’s going to be a pretty sight once it’s all dressed up and sitting back in the car!!

6E45DC8A-E8AE-45D0-ACE1-D74579D5BAEB.jpeg

Here are some more photos during assembly

814B035E-79C0-4318-8E26-C6908A76995C.jpeg

86EEF165-7CFB-4D8C-8870-9EAF1893CD2B.jpeg

58F59024-138C-4C61-9CDF-67D536B1C324.jpeg

2814CD3B-5462-4C4D-9ABE-5B4837F740A0.jpeg

5F28D4DD-8ADE-4684-B89D-9820C5BA9D13.jpeg

440 looks great. These C-bodies were definitely made for us bigger guys. I spotted a '60 Chevy next to your engine. Looks to be a cool shop.

440 looks great. These C-bodies were definitely made for us bigger guys. I spotted a '60 Chevy next to your engine. Looks to be a cool shop.

Maybe Bob Seger is storing his car there too? The Mesa would be a good hideout for old rock stars.....

good job !
Like the look of that engine. Nice work, Isaiah!

Thank you fellas!

Maybe Bob Seger is storing his car there too? The Mesa would be a good hideout for old rock stars.....

Heh, it wouldn't surprise me! I always hear stories of celebs sneaking away to our home for little getaways. Especially in SLO. Someone I know saw Keanu Reaves hanging out there!

Here it is after laying down it's new color! I really love it, and I think it will look AWESOME once I put those polished finned valve covers on along with the matching air cleaner. Stay tuned. I need to figure out how everything goes back on now lol...

1660173296054.png

1660173313284.png

Looking good young man!! What did the 440 rebuild cost ya if you don’t mind sharing $$$$. Would like to. Do mine and was curious.

Looking good young man!! What did the 440 rebuild cost ya if you don’t mind sharing $$$$. Would like to do mine and am curious..

Looking good young man!! What did the 440 rebuild cost ya if you don’t mind sharing $$$$. Would like to. Do mine and was curious.
Thank you! It cost me $3,500 total. It's been rebuilt closely to stock as possible. Bored .30 over, new valves and springs, stock spec cam and balanced and polished the crank shaft. Heads are non ported but now have hardened valve seats! Didn't really have an interest in messing anything up as far as the engineering of this motor and how it was designed to run:) Still haven't heard it run yet but I'm hoping that happens very soon.

Thank you! It cost me $3,500 total. It's been rebuilt closely to stock as possible. Bored .30 over, new valves and springs, stock spec cam and balanced and polished the crank shaft. Heads are non ported but now have hardened valve seats! Didn't really have an interest in messing anything up as far as the engineering of this motor and how it was designed to run:) Still haven't heard it run yet but I'm hoping that happens very soon.
Thank you Isaiah, I’m excited for you. Keep’en close watch on your progress. Keep us posted.

You got a very reasonably priced rebuild! The machine shop I settled on down here mentioned a similar figure for such work, and we plan to have an engine rebuilt by them within the next 6 months. (Or commence the work anyway.) We have several 383s and a 400 to pick from, though if I find a 440 or even a 413 for the man to work with, we will be pleased to do one.

I rejoice to see another C body restored in AZ.

Began to mock up the water pump housing, water pump and steering bracket! Waiting to get a new alternator bracket in…

495252FB-F6D2-446C-8210-5A7B3CB929AD.jpeg

4E7F0AF2-8353-471C-B962-765BFB02C7A8.jpeg

I think the black brackets will be a nice clean look / contrast against the metallic blue engine color. Can’t wait to put everything in its place for real!!

I’m going to try and adapt a non ac alternator bracket setup (not going to be running the original AC, will retrofit in the future.)

7C5A1300-4C8E-4A07-883E-C41BF33D6D59.jpeg

Got this set for cheap, should be coming tomorrow or Wednesday.

Off eBay? (The brackets). I looked at ones on there as my alternator bracket was sheered in two somehow. I just welded it when I priced out the brackets locally.

I should have painted them when I had them off but I wanted to throw it back together the same day and drive it.

That’s a beautiful colour by the way. It would make a nice body colour.

I noticed you’re missing the block heater. :)

This is looking great Isaiah. I ditched the AC when I had my 440 rebuilt a few years ago. I learned through that process that it wasn’t just the brackets that needed replacing, but a lot of the pulley alignments were off when switch to nonAC equipment. I wish I had more details for you, but mine was all done at a shop. I just remember getting calls like every other day informing me of more parts I needed to by. Just putting this here in case you run into the same issue.

Began to mock up the water pump housing, water pump and steering bracket! Waiting to get a new alternator bracket in…

View attachment 553878
View attachment 553879

I think the black brackets will be a nice clean look / contrast against the metallic blue engine color. Can’t wait to put everything in its place for real!!

I’m going to try and adapt a non ac alternator bracket setup (not going to be running the original AC, will retrofit in the future.)

View attachment 553880

Got this set for cheap, should be coming tomorrow or Wednesday.

Eric: Please note there is a special tool needed to properly adjust belt tension with that floppy power steering bracket. Here is a video demonstrating its use:

The tool is available here: Chrysler Power Steering Bracket Adjuster Tool

Off eBay? (The brackets). I looked at ones on there as my alternator bracket was sheered in two somehow. I just welded it when I priced out the brackets locally.

I should have painted them when I had them off but I wanted to throw it back together the same day and drive it.

That’s a beautiful colour by the way. It would make a nice body colour.

I noticed you’re missing the block heater. :)
I ordered mine from Classic Industries! They just came in today. Also thanks btw on the color! Believe it or not it’s Pontiac Metallic Blue, they had their motors this color during the late ‘60s. I saw it once and fell in love with it. Since I’m not restoring the car back to factory I figured I might as well just paint it how i want. It’s never leaving me anyways!!

I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen a block heater before, but maybe that’s a good thing LOL. Thankfully here in Southern California it doesn’t ever get TOO too cold… lowest I’ve ever experienced in my life was 27° (and yes I was freaking out.)

This is looking great Isaiah. I ditched the AC when I had my 440 rebuilt a few years ago. I learned through that process that it wasn’t just the brackets that needed replacing, but a lot of the pulley alignments were off when switch to nonAC equipment. I wish I had more details for you, but mine was all done at a shop. I just remember getting calls like every other day informing me of more parts I needed to by. Just putting this here in case you run into the same issue.

Thank you!! I am quickly finding all this out as I begin to put everything back together. Definitely (well, most likely at the moment) going to be switching to a 2 groove crank pulley.

Got the factory alternator bracket mocked up today to verify belt alignment. A DEFINITE no in terms of running this bracket without the AC. I can see why I need to use a non-ac version as well as probably having to switch to a 2 groove crank pulley.

A3165286-34DB-4D10-AAAB-33AFFDFB76F9.jpeg

EE099FA0-2685-47FB-8F8F-A47DC62408CD.jpeg

But OOOOH doesn’t it just look PRETTY! Smiling ear to ear as I write this, I’ve waited what feels like an eternity to get to this stage.

I ordered mine from Classic Industries! They just came in today. Also thanks btw on the color! Believe it or not it’s Pontiac Metallic Blue, they had their motors this color during the late ‘60s. I saw it once and fell in love with it. Since I’m not restoring the car back to factory I figured I might as well just paint it how i want. It’s never leaving me anyways!!

I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen a block heater before, but maybe that’s a good thing LOL. Thankfully here in Southern California it doesn’t ever get TOO too cold… lowest I’ve ever experienced in my life was 27° (and yes I was freaking out.)

27 IS cold as water freezes at 32.

Fun story. A friend is an engineer and another flew in one day from Southern Cal and was super excited to see all the cars in the firm’s parking lot plugged in and he kept going on about how great it was everyone had electric cars.

Then there’s the other one of another engineer in So Cal who asked Neil the weather on the phone in January and he said it was -20 something and the guy from So Cal got very angry.

He kept going on about how that’s impossible as 0 is the coldest temperature and of how he’s fed up with people from other countries always thinking Americans are stupid and trying to trick him.

You could put one in just as a conversation piece.

It just pops into the freeze plug location. Stock will be the plug closest to cylinder #1. When it’s plugged in the little heating element makes sure the block gets warm to keep the oil less viscous so it’s a lot easier to start in colder weather.
CA795F2F-5516-48AA-8B68-F23E170BA63D.jpeg

Back