My Unicorn, eh?

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
I just got back from a 3800 mile round trip to go get my Unicorn car I thought I'd never have, a Canadian 1966 Monaco, that happens to be a 4 speed car. :)

Just loaded right by the border.
PXL_20210102_230616455.jpg

Only cost $700 for the tow guy, and Canadian Customs fees, split evenly.

I headed south. I hadn't made it two hours, and had to fill up the DEF for the tow rig. That is when I discovered that what I thought was a paint line for the turn lane, was a "turtle", a small round hump the entire length of the turn lane. I got into a turn lane,the light turned green,the car ahead of me went, as did I. I heard someone beep their horn, and then felt the trailer move. Apparently the light was a flashing green, and a kid didn't stop in time and smacked the best part of the car, the passenger quarter panel. :(

PXL_20210103_014041305.jpg

PXL_20210103_014334389.MP.jpg

Moved the car over, but didn't damage the U-haul trailer thankfully.

I knew the lower quarters were bad, but wasn't expecting this extra work. I know of a quarter panel in Pennsylvania, but @71Polara383 jumped online and found a clean complete quarter and inner structure for me. I think the credit card will take another hit very soon.

I headed home after an hour, helping to train a new officer, not my choice but what do you do. The car towed great with the bigger size of the Ram, but the tow truck driver loaded it a little crooked, so I was always stopping and tightening one wheel strap. I could have loosened the straps up, pushed the car back and straightened the wheels, but I just kept it the way it was, lazy, I know.

I missed the exit for I-90, turned around and then saw they had closed the highway. I heard a couple reasons why,big couldn't confirm anything. Combine that with the very (too) relaxed driving style of Seattle area residents, I couldn't stand to stick around, so I headed south and added five hours and 400 miles to my journey. I got to drive along the Columbia River again, a drive I enjoy.

Went back to Missoula and hung out with my best friend from high school, who I hadn't seen in many years.

PXL_20210104_033504919.jpg

After he and his girlfriend bought me dinner, I headed back east. Stopped somewhere for a couple hours nap, and racked up the miles as fast as I could. I stopped again near Gilette Wyoming to catch a quick nap, when a pickup pulled up alongside me. He was asking if the wheels on my car were H code wheels, turned out he has an A12 in Butterscotch that needs the correct wheels. He gave me his contact info, so if you have, or know someone who has a set, and want to sell, send me a PM.

I was able to make very good time thanks to an 80 mph speed limit for many many miles. I saw one cop the entire eastern portion of the trip. It was nice to finally hit flat land in eastern South Dakota, I knew I was close to home. One last stop for fuel, and three hours later, the truck is parked on the street, and I'll unload in the morning. I'm wiped out from being anxious, drinking too much Mountain Dew, and eating very little because of the anxiety. I did manage to eat a normal meal today, no worries about anorexia for this guy. I had a Butterfinger the first day, a few bites of spaghetti, mini tacos day three, with the dinner my friend bought, which most of it came home with me, then a burrito and some snack mix. Not healthy!!!

I stopped at Devil's Tower on the way back, like I did three years ago. A nice stranger took the pictures for me.

PXL_20210104_195310347.jpg

The car is home, it will be in the garage with the Dart, and getting attention as long as it's warm enough so my fingers don't freeze. It's real, it's in my possession, and I still can't believe it. It needs a lot of work, I looked at the drivers quarter at Devil's Tower, and it seemed a little soft. Wyatt and I were theorizing what damage the car had to receive a paint job in a different color. The interior should be gold, not black, and the console is incorrect, as are the top plates, I think, so it looks like a complete restoration for the entire body, in and out.

I hope to get the engine running soon, but I'm not in a hurry, it's not going anywhere for a few months. Hopefully I can get that sorted, and enjoy the car in it's current condition.

Oh yeah, if I buy another car, it better be done, and I'm going to have a codriver. Sure.

Last edited:
I went to the border to ask the US agents about the car, then was told I got to go to the Canadian side to turn around. Yay. That was slow, but I had to clean out my pockets, show them my belt, inside pant legs and socks, plus my hat. Then they searched the Ram. At least the Canadian agents were some good looking gals, so I didn't mind. I got the car ten minutes after I returned to the US.

PXL_20210102_212103391.jpg

PXL_20210102_220307293.MP.jpg

PXL_20210102_220626479.jpg

Oh yeah, it was wet in Washington! I've never seen that much water on a roadway, I'm surprised I didn't hit a car or center median with all the spray on my windshield, one semi had three waves hit me in rapid succession. Definitely a pucker moment.

So they didn't allow me into Canada because I'm not essential, bummer.

I had to clean out my pockets, show them my belt, inside pant legs and socks, plus my hat. Then they searched the Ram. At least the Canadian agents were some good looking gals, so I didn't mind.

Nice car. I hate that your quarter panel got smashed. It looks like it was in decent shape before that. **** like that is why I always want a trailer bigger than my load. At least you didn't hear a latex glove stretch and snap during your search. :lol: What were they looking for or was that just a standard operation?

Last edited:
Damn good thing that kids front bumper didn’t make contact!
Glad it wasn’t worse and congrats on the sweet new project!

So sorry to hear about the accident and resulting damage. Good luck with the car. You are a brave man making that trek.

@LocuMob -- thank you for the pics and the story. Sorry to hear about the accident, but liken @detmatt said, good thing (for you) the kid's bumpers were not involved.

PS: What do you mean, your CC will take another hit -- looks like the other driver is at fault, so should it not be his CC that takes the hit?

Glad you're home safely, and that is such a drag about the mishap with that truck.

Are you sure the console is incorrect? What's "incorrect"? Canadian Monaco for 66 had a woodgrain console top and USA had brushed silver if that's what you are noticing...

Nice car. I hate that your quarter panel got smashed. It looks like it was in decent shape before that. **** like that is why I always want a trailer bigger than my load. At least you didn't hear a latex glove stretch and snap during your search. :lol: What were they looking for or was that just a standard operation?
Standard procedure.

@LocuMob -- thank you for the pics and the story. Sorry to hear about the accident, but liken @detmatt said, good thing (for you) the kid's bumpers were not involved.

PS: What do you mean, your CC will take another hit -- looks like the other driver is at fault, so should it not be his CC that takes the hit?
Parts.

Glad you're home safely, and that is such a drag about the mishap with that truck.

Are you sure the console is incorrect? What's "incorrect"? Canadian Monaco for 66 had a woodgrain console top and USA had brushed silver if that's what you are noticing...
I was wondering that on the way home. I was gonna ask you, but now I don't need to! The seller thought it was wrong, and cobbled together. Good to know, thanks Ross.

So sorry to hear about the accident and resulting damage. Good luck with the car. You are a brave man making that trek.
Get the accident out of the way now, before work begins. :rolleyes:

I felt more comfortable in Los Angeles traffic. But I'll drive almost anywhere for a car.

Damn good thing that kids front bumper didn’t make contact!
Glad it wasn’t worse and congrats on the sweet new project!
That's exactly what I thought when I looked at his truck.

I did ask if he already had an LMC catalog, he did.

Congrats on your new ride. Sorry about the damage but thanks for sharing the pics and the journey that went with them. Looks like you have something to keep you busy for awhile. Good luck.

Ahh ok. This is the one that has been on hold for awhile. Good project.

BTW. I’ve visited Devil’s Tower. Props for taking a trailer on that road and parking lot.

Congrats Scott..!!
One of............??a few with the 4spd!!!.:thumbsup:
IIRC the green was not the orig color of this car...it was gold or am i wrong ?

That sucks Scott! Glad everyone is ok. Looks like a fun trip otherwise. Congrats on getting it picked up. Looking forward to seeing it come back to life.

Back