Mystery Nipple?

Clay Harrison

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a 66 era 440 intake diagram with parts callout or vacuum diagram? The small branch of this gizmo is broken and I'm gonna need a replacement. This particular nipple goes on the far rear edge of the intake.

Nipple.jpg

You'll need to have it to run the vacuum controls for your hvac system

Problem iz, I don't think you'll find just the straight nipple. For $56 bucks I'd wait 'til Monday and call Wildcat Motor's out in Sandy, Or. Betcha they got ah box full of 'um for way less then that? Or if you're ah real tight *** like me you could just put ah "DOB" of Quick Dry JB Weld in that broken off 1/8th inch nipple and screw it back in and never worry about it again if you just want the straight in larger nipple, Jer

X2 re Nigel.

Get the one with 1 or more extra ports and cap em off with vacuum port caps. Then if you need a manifold vacuum port in the future there you go.

Some cars had as many as 4 off that port - vac trunk, HVAC, Air Grabber, and in the old days wipers, power antennas and other whacky shyte.

I know that everybody has their own favorite vendor/suppliers that have done good for them in the past, which is how it should be. By the same token, for many items, there can be ONE supplier which supplies these vendors who resell it (sometimes, at different prices). So shopping can be a part of due diligence, for some.

I'll concur with the salvage yard option. Buying new from a reputable vendor can be good too. BUT you might check your local auto supply (hopefully, an older embedded one) on their "HELP!" rack. Vacuum "trees" are used on non-Chrysler vehicles, too. Most will have different take-offs of various sizes, plus the main power brake hose. Cap the ones not used (vac caps are usually also on the HELP! rack). Several ways to play the game, as you desire.

CBODY67

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going to plug this one for now and begin the search for a replacement just in case.

I had seen on other people's cars where they have an aftermarket carb that has the large vacuum port for the booster and add a smaller plastic tee inline for accessories.
Just an observation topic related.

That large vacuum port on the carb is for the PCV connection. The other two small ports are for vacuum advance. One has constant vacuum, the other is ported. Meaning it has no vacuum at idle and applies vacuum when you step on the gas pedal. Aftermarket carbs are for any vehicle so they supply both, you're supposed to put a plastic plug on the unused one.

As others have pointed out, the larger of the two is for the brake booster with the smaller providing vacuum for accessories such as HVAC, power trunk release and vacuum gauge. The PCV should be connected to the carb base.

As others have pointed out, the larger of the two is for the brake booster with the smaller providing vacuum for accessories such as HVAC, power trunk release and vacuum gauge. The PCV should be connected to the carb base.
Thanks for the help! I don't have air but I am going to run a vacuum gauge. And I found one thru one of the folks over at one of the 440 pages I frequent.

Back