Mystery Wire

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
53C9755E-1CD0-4E45-8AE7-8B336FC44B54.jpeg
1970 Plymouth Fury 3 with 318ci, anyone know where this wire suppose to live?

You too uh? I got the same color wire loose on my 69 A100, with /6 so go fig? Good Luck

I agree, Oil Sender wire. Ground it, if you have a warning light, it will illuminate. If you have a gauge, it will peg high.

I have a gauge and it works fine now. Are you saying if I ground it, I'll peg the gauge?

Some California emission packages had a wire hooked to the vac advance on the distributor. If yours was not a Ca. package the wire does not hook to anything or do anything..

Dave

I have a gauge and it works fine now. Are you saying if I ground it, I'll peg the gauge?

If you have a factory gauge, that wire has nothing to do with the gauge if yours currently works. Do not ground out the wire as it could be a hot lead for some accessory that your car does not have.

Dave

I was never planning on grounding that wire. Why ground something if you don't know what it is or what it's for?

I was never planning on grounding that wire. Why ground something if you don't know what it is or what it's for?

Good choice. I have seen some interesting "experiments" over the years that have resulted in smoked wiring harnesses, not everyone has your level of experience.

Dave

I believe the advice to ground the wire was given to the OP.

Your wire could be anything.... A disconnected gray wire at the back of a 318 in a '70 Fury is a pretty easy deduction. A slant six A-100 with a random gray wire in an unknown location... not so much.

I'd look in the FSM and see what wires are that color and go from there.

The wiring on my van has been so butchered by previous owners, I need a new harness. Some of the under dash wiring was done with aircraft wire. THAT'S RIGHT, Aviation wire that goes into planes. That was fun changing that crap out. Come to think of it, my van was in a flood and I'm sure a bunch has been changed?

Back