N8-96XJ's '65 Fury III build

IMG_20140328_171928_867.jpg
IMG_20140331_161606_153.jpg
Thought I'd update with a little progress... To start my trunk floor had a previous patch job involving some tin sheets, roofing tar and rivets. I peeled all of that up, altho some stubborn tar remained. I took a cut off tool and cut the worst of the rust out. I then used long haired fiberglass and filled the holes. Then I cut a sheet of galvanized sheet metal to lay over top of everything and kind of clean up the look. I used two tubes of liquid nails to attach the sheet... Now I can cuss myself next time ha ha! Bought a couple cans of trunk spatter paint to make things look presentable. Not a perfect job I'll admit. But the rust has been treated and it is now strong. You do your best when you don't have a welder or the money to buy a new trunk floor...
I should have the fuel cell mounted and plumbed this week. No more jug of antifreeze for a gas tank! Its progress...

IMG_20140328_171928_867.jpg

IMG_20140331_161606_153.jpg

View attachment 27761
View attachment 27762
Thought I'd update with a little progress... To start my trunk floor had a previous patch job involving some tin sheets, roofing tar and rivets. I peeled all of that up, altho some stubborn tar remained. I took a cut off tool and cut the worst of the rust out. I then used long haired fiberglass and filled the holes. Then I cut a sheet of galvanized sheet metal to lay over top of everything and kind of clean up the look. I used two tubes of liquid nails to attach the sheet... Now I can cuss myself next time ha ha! Bought a couple cans of trunk spatter paint to make things look presentable. Not a perfect job I'll admit. But the rust has been treated and it is now strong. You do your best when you don't have a welder or the money to buy a new trunk floor...
I should have the fuel cell mounted and plumbed this week. No more jug of antifreeze for a gas tank! Its progress...
looks pretty good. nice job. any pics from underneath would be cool. just so we know its not all cosmetic. lol

Ha ha! I'll take some Wednesday when I get back over to work on it. I won't lie there were some fist sized holes that got filled! I will be doing some more cleaning on the underside and under coating as well. But I'll get y'all some pics of my "Appalachian Engineering"!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ToH2_BlzQ#
Thought y'all might like a short video of my car idling... I just figured out how to post videos. I'll try to have a ride along video or a ride by video within the next couple weeks...
I think the car sounds good aside from a bad exhaust leak at the passenger side manifold. I tried and tried to fix/seal it off. It is my main reason for getting the shorties for it as well as having all of the exhaust redone...
By the way, this video is with the factory manifolds and 40 series Flowmasters. Gonna sound real mean with headers to one chambers turned down before the rear axle!
I know its not every bodies cup of tea. But this car was gonna be a cruiser the second I saw it.

Can't wait till I get my car sounding mean. Intake, headers, and dual exhaust will be next on my list once I get all my electrical stuff sorted out. Your cars coming along nicely.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Thank you! I'm half afraid the police won't like mine too well with one chambers on it. We'll see... Good luck on your project. Electrical stuff is always fun!

Thank you. I have the headers on finally.... It was not a fun experience! It wasn't a fitment problem. Its that nearly every stud was stripped or mangled or even bent somehow.... It was a mess to say the least. I'll never put headers on another one unless I have the engine out of the car, and the heads removed from the block so that I can remove every stud and re-thread/tap every hole and replace them with header bolts ha ha!
Seems I've heard advice on here about the whole headers vs. manifold thing.....:soapbox:
I'm saving up to have the new exhaust welded up. May be another month or two...

May be another month or two... or six or seven! Just wanted to chime in to say I'm still plugging away. Been a rough year money and time wise. The dream is still alive to have the ol girl on the road at some point in time. Bear with me!

I just finished reading through and I'm loving it! I'm one of those people who believe in customizing and rodding and I really like the direction you're going. I do think that you should do the roof white, maybe with a dash of silver flake to give it some character... and maybe throw in a white headliner to tie it all in? Anyway, keep up the good work! Bitchin' car!

Last edited:
Thanks Fratzog and thanks GooBak! It has been a long road. I am always back and forth on customizing vs. rodding vs. restoring the car. I like to look at it as a sort of "period correct" customization. Something you'd see in the late '60s or maybe early '70s. Now if my wallet would just pitch in and help me see it to the finish!

Back