NASCAR attendance

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
66D3D0C9-B4C8-4A72-BB1C-41DE128CB7D6.jpeg
It’s bad folks. Has been steadily declining for over a decade. Tracks have been removing seats/grandstands. The race at Texas a couple weeks ago looked like only about 70% of the front streach was full. Nothing else. Then the Bristol race today that holds 220 thousand looked like maybe 50 thousand. Yes there was a weather issue but I’ve seen weather move in before & the fans still come. Got to wonder if the end is near. Las Vegas was terrible also. TV ratings are mixed. None have been stellar. What will become of NASCAR ?

Interesting thoughts. Remember what a couple of major sponsors were. Cig companies and beer companies.
Then come the smoking and drinking restrictions. Kinda like telling the people that paid for those sponsorship's
to go away,, so they did...
Then toss in the car restrictions... What fun is it to watch cars that can never go faster.
Anndd,, it is a totally different audience today than in previous times.... The people that paid for NASCAR are now
close to or in their 60's and 70's... The interests they had towards racing has diminished and much of the younger
people just never had those interests..
Just my two cents...

The National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing has been driving this sport down the tubes since the 70's when they stopped the rule that the cars had to me made from a "Body in White". Today all the cars are made the same, with decals to make them look different. The last race I watched was when Richard Petty retired.

Last edited:
I have seen that at some tracks they have random colored seats next to each other to give the illusion there is people sitting in the seats.

[QUOTE="Xenon, post: 587172, member: 626"

Anndd,, it is a totally different audience today than in previous times.... The people that paid for NASCAR are now
close to or in their 60's and 70's... The interests they had towards racing has diminished and much of the younger
people just never had those interests..
Just my two cents...[/QUOTE]

Could be said about a few other things close and dear...

North American Same Car Auto Racing...
Everybody get same body
Everyone will be using same engine
Everyone gets same impact gun for tire swaps
What's left to root for????
Might as well save the fuel and pick the winning car numbers using one of those Keno birdcage looking things...
14797752_1_x.jpg

Who gives a **** since they let Trashloaduh buy their way in! It been going down hill since the early '70's.

NASCAR is boring. Everything about the series is too homogeneous. The tracks are the same, the cars are identical, the drivers all drive the same (as far as I seen post Earnhardt Sr), and the races are too long to be that boring.

The cars have reached the point that a hit dog wrapper can kill the performance. The little bit of innovation that can be tried are very likely to get the attention of the sanctioning body.
Mightbas well watch F1. Those guys can't even regulate their own speed on out road, they have an easy button for that.
Yeah for local small tracks

i have only been to one NASCAR race and i was dismayed that the only time i saw people really excited was when there was an accident. When showing promos for NASCAR on tv they always start with an accident, they also always talk about waiting for the 'Big One'. If someone wants to watch accidents there should just be a 24hr channel that just follows all the highways in the US.

Competition cautions.....lap after lap of yellow flag "racing" (for the advertisers).....
Debris in the track caution (to help Jimmy racer get a lap back) same car different decals, more stange rules than you can throw a tire, air wrench, lugnut or safety cone at......thats why I quit watching....

Ruled to death is the way they are heading. They will have to make drastic changes to survive or be content with a smaller audience.

It's not just NASCAR as the NHRA races are seeing a decline as well. Although, the inaugural 4-Wide at Vegas drew some BIG numbers!

MLB is down too. I think it's a matter of pricing. I went to the Winternationals in Pomoma in 2012; Sunday ticket prices were $50. Don't know what they are today but it's becoming a rich-man's game regardless of the sport. Anyone see the cheapest ticket at any of the Cub's WS games two years ago? Damn!!

Back