Need Brake Booster for 69 Fury which one?

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Booster is shot I believe and I need to replace it. I have all drum brakes. Looked at the manual and saw these two types for my Plymouth. And the pic is what I have on my car now. Looks totally different than in the manual. Part number on my Booster is #2944567 which does not show up in my 69 parts catalog. It is a band clamp design and the types in the manual are not. I don't have the time [5 to 6 weeks +shipping time] to rebuild it at the place in OR. I may later and save this one. What type do I have presently as I cannot find one and could I use one of the types below as shown in the manual as I have seen these around? I would assume the first factory pic below for drum brakes?

Thanks

20200428_191259.jpg

20200428_191327.jpg

20200428_191010 (1).jpg

20200428_193634 (1).jpg

OK i did find the one in my car in the factory manual sorry ,I missed it,
It is for disc brake setup. I have drums. So would you recommend I go with the first pic above for drum brakes and would it install correctly?

20200429_120221.jpg

Last edited:
The one pictured above is a Bendix for disc brakes, not what you have. Read the first sentence, it is held together by crimped edge method. Yours is clamped together.

Your booster looks like a Midland Ross booster pretty common on 67 and 68 drum brakes. I don’t know if a 67-68 will swap over to a 1969 car.

The one pictured above is a Bendix for disc brakes, not what you have. Read the first sentence, it is held together by crimped edge method. Yours is clamped together.

Your booster looks like a Midland Ross booster pretty common on 67 and 68 drum brakes. I don’t know if a 67-68 will swap over to a 1969 car.

Yes I see. Thanks. Well if it is a Midland Ross from 67 and 68 ,it has been in my 69 for many years and it has to go. I figure get the {Bendix top pic} brake booster for drum brakes then. I wonder what had to be done to adapt the 67/68 booster to the 69 and to keep it simple maybe I should stick with the same booster I have now??

Maybe they are the same dimensions on the cars?

maybe your car was swapped to that booster, or it came new that way?

I have a 67 and 68 I can measure the length of the pushrod, etc. if it helps you. But you’ll need yours off the car.

2A84F53C-168C-4618-B979-B98B612F763F.jpeg

7364D111-7913-43A2-972E-5B3E24EDACC8.jpeg

ACFEF9C5-B0B6-47CB-9C09-9412EEBDAD6A.jpeg

As noted, the booster you have is a midland booster. There is also a single diaphragm Bendix booster that was sold as a replacement that was standard equipment on some '70 and later cars that will also work. The dual diaphragm Bendix booster was for disc brakes only. It is not likely that you will find any of these boosters at you local parts house, so you will need to have either yours or a replacement core rebuilt.

Dave

Here is the booster application chart from the '69 parts manual. The midland unit shown in your photo is the stock booster for that application. If you happen to have a 6cyl or 318 fury, some of those also had the midland booster with disc brakes, most disc applications were ordered with big block engines and would have had the Bendix dual diaphragm booster as standard equipment. As noted, the Bendix single diaphragm booster is a suitable replacement unless you are a purist for a stock booster. (Click on mail 0015, not the icon).

Dave

Attachments

• Mail0015.PDF
    75.9 KB · Views: 234
Thanks to all for your knowledge. So this drum Bendix type would bolt right in correct like this one listed on NAPA for drum brakes for a 69 Fury I presume? If so that will make it a good bit easier to find a good one not necessarily from NAPA.

772788.jpg

Power Brake Booster without Master Cylinder

Part #: NBB 5473500
Line: NAPA Brake Boosters

Fits your 1969 Plymouth Fury III

Online Price (USD):
$89.99
/Each
$33.00 core
Save 20% on 3+ Items

Vehicle Fitment
Fits Your Vehicle
1969 Plymouth Fury III

Thanks to all for your knowledge. So this drum Bendix type would bolt right in correct like this one listed on NAPA for drum brakes for a 69 Fury I presume? If so that will make it a good bit easier to find a good one not necessarily from NAPA.

View attachment 372320
Power Brake Booster without Master Cylinder

Part #: NBB 5473500
Line: NAPA Brake Boosters

Fits your 1969 Plymouth Fury III

Online Price (USD):
$89.99
/Each
$33.00 core
Save 20% on 3+ Items

Vehicle Fitment
Fits Your Vehicle
1969 Plymouth Fury III

Yes that will bolt in. Be sure it is not a Cardone unit.

Dave

Yes thanks to all I appreciate it.

I have a midland ross clamp together that came off my power drum fury. No reason to think it was not original. It was working at the time (2 yrs ago). No rust. The master was struggling with gum but that would come with it. PM if you are interested.

went to NAPA---they said the booster was unavailable---to be sure they called cardone and were told there were NO BOOSTERS.......

I looked everywhere for the correct 69 Bendix drum brake booster. Looked on line and called all the local places . Nothing. As stated in this topic here the experts told me the booster in my 69 was actually Midland. Rockauto showed the 68 Midland in stock so I ordered it. Got it today and we will see if it works out. Other than this booster all 68 and 69 boosters were out of stock at rock auto also.

Well I just checked rockauto just now . For 68 now no boosters at all. Must have gotten one of the last ones. It's a Cardone unit. If it gets me through the summer I will be happy as I swallowed the core charge so I can send my original to be rebuilt by Dewey in OR maybe this winter.
Just out of curiosity on Rock Auto I looked for Any brake booster for a 67 Fury to 73 Fury and all were out of stock. Maybe they don't do Boosters anymore.

Last edited:
Not original but the replacement booster I have is the Cardone 54-73309 from 1976-78 Mopars. Dual diaphragm. For some reason I doubt autozone actually has it even though it was going to let me checkout with it. If anyone tries it use SPRINGCLEAN as promocode to get to $113 The only thing I had to modify was make the hole in backing plate bigger. Rod length and pedals from power drums work fine.

Back