need carb advice

teslagadget

Reaction score
sorry but i think i posted twice but anyway. need some advice from some mopar guys. I have a 1968 fury iii 2 door with the 383 super commando. She has some upgrades and they are torker intake, headman headers, 3 inch exhaust, and a 750 edelbrock carb. The motor runs great and pulls super hard but the carb keeps taking a dump and i have to replace the throttle bushings every few years along with hot start issues so ive decided id find something new. I do have an extra edelbrock 600 cfm electric choke also but would that be enough to move this car down the street and would it be okay at wot. What carb does best with my set up or on mopars? and what do you guys have. Im more of a holley guy but havent had one on the fury yet. thanks matt

Ask 1,000 guys and 499 of them will tell you an Edelbrock 750 and the other 499 will say a Holley 750. Two of them have there head stuck up their butt. Go either way.

And never be sorry for asking a question here.
Unless your car has 22's...

What Stan? No thermoquad on this one?
I've made learning and understanding TQ's my latest quest for my continuation of technical knowledge. After almost a year of reading, taking them apart, and asking questions, I still don't understand how those %$#%-ing things work.

Sent using Forum Runner

I've been messing with TQ's for 10+ years...I can tune them pretty good, but I still have lots to learn. Trial and error seem to be the best way to tune these carbs. I'd love to get an Air/Fuel ratio gauge set-up to help tune even better.

As for a 600 on your 383...it will run fine. You will probably loose a bit of your top end charge though. In a WOT situation it will pull for a bit then flat line with that 600CFM carb. I found that was what happened when I had a stock 625 carter on my 383 years ago. Went with a 750 eddy and the car was almost night and day in performance.

I've been messing with TQ's for 10+ years...I can tune them pretty good, but I still have lots to learn. Trial and error seem to be the best way to tune these carbs. I'd love to get an Air/Fuel ratio gauge set-up to help tune even better.
Yah, that's the problem I'm having with them. I go by the book, ask all the right questions, and I accidently get it running like a FI engine and I haven't a clue what I did and couldn't repeat it if I wanted to. Strange, strange, carb.
Get them dialed in right and they are EXCELLENT.

I agree a T/Q is a great carb with tiny primaries when it's running right. I've just had good luck with Eddie's.

Back