Need help decoding a 69 Monaco fender tag

Welder guy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine just picked up this 69 Monaco convertible and has plans of restoring it . I’m just having a issue reading the tag itself , it’s a bit weathered . Thanks
21958377-5D73-4774-BC6A-9F21AAEAFA80.jpeg
82C7DB98-5CC5-4967-85CA-819DDA75B00F.jpeg
0524ABE5-4521-4CCF-91E0-905100F1454B.jpeg
F34A5EC1-3205-4A68-B350-9D92C2C9C678.jpeg

A friend of mine just picked up this 69 Monaco convertible and has plans of restoring it . I’m just having a issue reading the tag itself , it’s a bit weathered . Thanks
Here you go.

From the VON, this car is a US-market model, and there were no US-model Monaco convertibles in either 1969 or 1970. I do not think that the tag is DH27G9D312076 but, instead, it is DM27G9D312076 -- that is, the tag attached to this car is a Polara 500 convertible. The seam patterns on the seats, combined with the fact that the seats are buckets, supports the 500 theory. Monaco interior codes start with H, yet this one is M6G -- again consistent with the Polara 500 theory.

Granted, the tag says the interior should be M6G (i.e., was originally green), yet in the pictures the interior looks black. As well, the special body-side trim of the Polara 500 is missing -- but this car has been repainted, so that point is moot.

@Welder guy -- can you confirm the VIN?

Last edited:
The owner lives in Philadelphia and that’s where the car is . He told me it was a 69 Monaco 500 convertible , that’s the Description he gave me along with those pictures. I will ask him to send me a picture of the VIN. He doesn’t know if the car is Canadian or US . I said I would help him decode the Fender tag but I was coming up with codes that didn’t make sense and needed fcbo help on this one .I got to know the owner when I sold him some disc brake parts.

He’s not close to the car right now. He didn’t have a picture but he did have it written down: DM27G9D312076 . He will send a picture the next time he is with the car.

He didn’t have a picture but he did have it written down: DM27G9D312076
The tag does look like an H but VIN is a M .
M makes sense, H is impossible in 1969 -- thank you for confirming, look forward to the pics.

As @MrMoparCHP noted in this post about DM27G9D312076, given that this is a Polara 500, it means that when "they took the 500 trim off they then swapped the rear wheel lip molding with full trim, the 500 stopped at the trim." Any information about the car's history?

Your friend may be interested in joining the board -- here is an incomplete list of current/past owners of 1969 (US-market) Polara 500 convertibles who are FCBO members:

@69monaco @MrMoparCHP @rcsfca @polara10x500 @CHASCASH @69_topless @Charles Kifer @FletcherAble @Coupe De Ville @elliott brackett @Luvafusey (car formerly owned by @junkoid) @Fury Pursuit @pentacar @fatboy @saforwardlook and Bob Baker (who owns ABC Moparts).

Edit: There are, in addition, several (Canadian-market) Monaco 500 'vert owners too -- including but not limited to: @hemiguy @marko @300rag

Last edited:
@69CoronetRT Just a mispunched fender tag possibly? How often did this type of thing occur, with the information you have?

@69CoronetRT Just a mispunched fender tag possibly? How often did this type of thing occur, with the information you have?

The work Ayilar did in posts 4 and 13 is impressive. Thanks for what you did.

Yes. Tag errors and typos are more common than you might think. A lot of them are simply missing one letter and hitting an adjacent key.

Fyi as some of us know Monaco 500 convertibles were available and sold only in Canada.
Very few were built and even fewer remain.
The pedigree of the car in this thread may still need deeper investigation lol

Fyi as some of us know Monaco 500 convertibles were available and sold only in Canada.
Very few were built and even fewer remain.
The pedigree of the car in this thread may still need deeper investigation lol
Agree on all counts -- see the great repository of sales materials at fuselage.de for an illustration and see here for an actual example of a Canadian Monaco 500 that was for sale a few years back. The existence of Canadian Monaco 500 'verts is why I pointed out the VON of @Welder guy's friend's new acquisition (a key reason why it looks like a "US market" car to me).

Note also that, while much of the special 500 trim of the Canadian 500 Monaco and US 500 Polara is the same, the tail lights are not -- the Canadian car has the typical Monaco brightwork (see @hemiguy's blue Monaco 500 'vert here). The seats are also different (see @300rag's here and a green Monaco 500 'vert that was for sale in Quebec 5 years back). The car in the present thread, on both counts, matches a US Polara 500 and not a Canadian Monaco 500.

If I had to guess, in light of this post by @kmccabe56, Canadian Monaco 500 convertible VINs would be DP27 anyways, not DH27 (DH being for "plain" Monacos).

Last edited:
Back