Need Recommendations: 4 Barrel Air Cleaner

furyfever

Reaction score
Reluctantly, I recently put a 4 barrel Holley on top of my 68 Fury III’s 383. The throat has a 5 3/8” opening. I really don’t like aftermarket air cleaners so I’ve been thinking...Would there be a period correct factory air cleaner that would properly fit on top? If so, I’d like to find/buy one on eBay. Thanks...

Reluctantly, I recently put a 4 barrel Holley on top of my 68 Fury III’s 383. The throat has a 5 3/8” opening. I really don’t like aftermarket air cleaners so I’ve been thinking...Would there be a period correct factory air cleaner that would properly fit on top? If so, I’d like to find/buy one on eBay. Thanks...

The period correct air cleaner is a dual snorkel with the oval snorkels. See: www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

Dave

Keep in mind if you have your OEM air cleaner and it won’t fit the carb top because of the base’s hole size. Buy any ol’ base that fits your carb and use your OEM top. You may have to experiment with filters to get the right fit. It’ll work like a 69 low restriction set up. You’ll have a gap all around the base but with the right filter nobody except the nosiest of gawkers will see the mod.

C9D4806D-9A4D-464C-A659-774E466D4A79.jpeg

The carbs were pretty much standardized at 5 1/8" for the factory AVS and Holley 4160 that were stock equipment. A period correct air cleaner will not fit a carb with the 5 3/8" throat. Goose is correct, you will need to find an after market base and try to adapt it..

Dave

Dave...thanks for posting photos. Basically, that dual snorkel looks like my stock air cleaner (top) with an extra snorkel. Hmmmm. I see the originals on eBay. Throat opening may be standard but what about other clearances? Have you or anyone else ever correctly fit a late 60’s dual snorkel air cleaner on a new aftermarket Holley 4 barrel?

Goose, thanks for that tip...that’s precisely what my friend said to do and that’s what I have now: Smaller aftermarket base that has correct throat opening. Has a gap all away around the bottom that is not noticeable but I have it in my mind what the original looks like/fits like, so thats what I want, if possible. I may have to settle with this clever option though.

thanks...

Thanks Dave, I understand...you posted answer before I even asked. I appreciate it, thank you. I don’t want to spent 300+ on an original dual snorkel air cleaner and find out it doesn’t fit.

Goose, thanks for that tip...that’s precisely what my friend said to do and that’s what I have now: Smaller aftermarket base that has correct throat opening. Has a gap all away around the bottom that is not noticeable but I have it in my mind what the original looks like/fits like, so thats what I want, if possible. I may have to settle with this clever option though.

thanks...
Sounds like you’ve got it right already! I like the smaller base with room all around for the air to enter.

How on earth as a Mopar guy have you never visited Nicks Garage???:poke:
I meant the complete air cleaner list with photos LoL!!! I’ve seen hunks of it but I’ve never seen it in its entirety. I’ve only watched nick on u tube never looked at his website or links. Talk about one stop shopping.

I started watching Nick's on YT about a year ago, and it took me about 6mos of that to realize he was the 'aircleaner guy'.
I've been referring guys to his page for aircleaner questions for at least 10 years now.
It's kinda funny how small the world can be sometimes.

There is 2 nicks garage guys. The Nicks garage on you tube with the Canadian guy with the heavy accent is not the same as the nicks garage Link above with air cleaner pictures. He’s in California

Yea Montreal 'Nick' ain't quite on the level of being true Mopar. Have you seen the episode of his fun debacle of installing the front and back glass in Kalwalski? (the trim clip screws?)

I think his 'pro guy' had the back glass out 3 times.
Plus also his apprentice hammering in cam shaft bearings. :rolleyes:

There is 2 nicks garage guys. The Nicks garage on you tube with the Canadian guy with the heavy accent is not the same as the nicks garage Link above with air cleaner pictures. He’s in California
I didn’t think they were the same but I have never actually watched one of the videos.

Could we see a photo of your avatar car - looks like a 58 Desoto??

Also guys, seems like I have bigger fish to fry now. This 383 in 68 Fury...even with top end all redone, new 4 barrel intake and Holley 4 barrel still has restart problems. Still acting like it’s dumping gas after I shut it down for 5 min./more...

99869528-E712-42D0-9DCC-D9F2F8AB5F91.png

5AF424E7-77B0-4C14-8923-8EA0B9A24988.png

Here’s my 58 DeSoto, 58 Belvedere and the 68 Fury (which I’m having restart problems)...thanks guys.

0AD37761-13C0-440C-B5F2-D9B541DEA7F0.jpeg

4DFE03E2-0705-46A2-88FF-76D69F6EA72F.jpeg

Last edited:
Also guys, seems like I have bigger fish to fry now. This 383 in 68 Fury...even with top end all redone, new 4 barrel intake and Holley 4 barrel still has restart problems. Still acting like it’s dumping gas after I shut it down for 5 min./more...

View attachment 413626

View attachment 413627

Here’s my 58 DeSoto, 58 Belvedere and the 68 Fury (which I’m having restart problems)...thanks guys.

View attachment 413628

View attachment 413629

Truly gorgeous cars! I realize it is a matter of taste, but I think the Desoto would look even more stunning without the fender skirts. Thanks for obliging.

Back