Need some help here...

soon2be1

Reaction score
One of the soldiers I work with gave me an Edelbrock 4106. I installed it along with a new fuel filter and after running for about 10 min runs like crap... Now if its cold, fires up... If its hot then it struggles with starting and then dies out if I dont have it idling high...

I have the choke wires going to the coil.. not sure that plays into effect?

ANY suggestions would be great thank you.

This is on a stock 413.

How hot is hot?

One of the soldiers I work with gave me an Edelbrock 4106. I installed it along with a new fuel filter and after running for about 10 min runs like crap... Now if its cold, fires up... If its hot then it struggles with starting and then dies out if I dont have it idling high...

I have the choke wires going to the coil.. not sure that plays into effect?

This is on a stock 413.

Hey there.
I gather you are referring to the wiring for the electric choke?

<<<None of the "choke wires" should be connected to the coil>>>.

The black wire (neg) is a ground and should be affixed somewhere on the block to provide an unencumbered path to ground (you can screw it down on the choke housing itself). The red wire (pos) should be terminated at a "switched" source, a power source that energizes ONLY when you start the car. Without being there to see it, it sounds like your choke may not be operating properly.

Hope this helps.

The 1406 carb, which is the one you have is designed for small blocks and small displacement big blocks. The 1406 is calibrated for fuel economy for those engines. I have one on my 400 "B" engine and I would say that would be the maximum displacement engine that I would use the 1406 carb on. If the choke is the problem, Edelebrock kit #1478 is available. It's a kit to convert a manual choke carb. They may have a kit without the throttle shaft (you don't need that). I have used these Edelbrock carb's on numerous cars and never had a problem with them. IMHO, I would put a 750 cfm carb on all "RB" engines (which you have) and that would be an Edelbrock #1411 with a electric choke. You will be very satisfied with that carb, but for now if you want to save a little go with the choke kit if rewiring the choke doesn't fix your problem. Just remember as mentioned in another post, to wire the choke red wire so it only has power when the the car ignition is in the run position. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

1478.jpg

if its cold, fires up... If its hot then it struggles with starting and then dies out if I dont have it idling high...

The Carter and Edelbrock carburetors like this need to be put on with an isolator gasket to keep them cooler.

The choke should be a 12 volt source also, and the positive coil wire is 6-8 volts. You could probably tie into the 12 volt side of your ballast resistor.

Back