Need some help please.

Restoration

1. George1979

George1979 New Member

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I need some help, my 1969 Chrysler 300 I inherited that I’m restoring needs some frame work.

From the rear axe to the rear bumper. I’ve had a few shops look at it an they all want a astronomical amount to make patches. After consulting with my cousin who works for a body shop he suggested that I just find some replacement frame rails for the rear end. Unfortunately he lives way to far for me to take it to him.

I was wondering if anyone knows a place that would sell rear end frame rails for it, or which frame rails I could find at a bone yard would fit it so I can just go cut them an weld them in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

A buddy of mine had his 300-Hurst restored. He was able to buy those rails new. Don't know where he found them but they might still be available somewhere. Perhaps someone will know.

3. 69monaco

69monaco Senior Member

Can,t you ask your buddy…..?

4. BLUPORT

BLUPORT Carpe Diem Cras FCBO Gold Member

I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly, but I think you can use Newport or New Yorker rear frame sections.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MrMoparCHP

MrMoparCHP Senior Member

If one looks at a factory parts book one would learn that they are the same D/C/Y (Dodge/Chrysler/Imperial) so Plymouths are different.
    Translation, Polara, Monaco, Newport, New Yorker, 300 and Imperial

At least in 69, 70-73 MAY work as well.

Alan

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  6. shooter65

shooter65 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I hope you can find a source for "new" but you'll probably be looking for a relatively rust free car in a junk yard.

7. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

That was ten years ago and we've lost contact with each other. My point was they might still be made if someone knows. I don't.

8. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I would suggest before spending a bunch of money to try and repair the rear frame rails, that you also check the front frame sections. Often a car that is badly rusted to the rear has a lot of rust at the front frame as well. Check especially the attachment points at the rear of the stub and at the cowl mount. If that stuff is also rotted, the car is probably a parts car. It will usually cost a lot more to replace the rear frame sections than to patch them unless you are able to do the work yourself. There are a great number of spot and pinch welds that have to cut without damaging the sheet metal for the floor pan so that the replacement rails can be welded in and unfortunately a lot of that metal is usually also rusted out. You are looking at a very big job.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Samplingman

Samplingman Senior Member

The rails pop up from time to time, just like the stub frames. I had a set from a '73 New Yorker which would have fit just fine, but sold them last year.

This guy has these listed on FaceBook for $200 in Beach ND, but apparently he has been deleted from FCBO.

SOLD - 70 chrysler rear frame rails

Based on what I sold mine for, this is about the going rate. The better option of course is to just get a parts car, as Dave says above, you may need more than what you can see.

10. FURYGT

FURYGT Senior Member

https://www.autorust.com/

Auto Rust Technicians in Rhode Island used to sell them as well as kits for the front stub frame but their website indicates all MOPAR except for one have been discontinued and that Class Industries now has them available but Classic does not list any C Body frame rail repair pieces. Might be worth contacting them.

11. david hill

david hill Well-Known Member FCBO Gold Member

Would frame rails from a 1971 New Yorker 4 dr work. Same for the interior floor pan.

• Like Like x 1
  12. George1979

George1979 New Member

Thanks everyone!

Dave yeah the front part of the car if great. The rear end was sitting on dirt the front was over a wooden barn floor.

I was able to get floor pans easy there is a local company here in Detroit that manufactures the pans an a bunch of other replacement parts just not frames.

13. bluefury361

bluefury361 Old Man with a Hat

I would suggest locating a clean parts car. The pans you got from the Detroit outfit aren't very good. I bought them for my 69 300 and ended up making them from scratch and using their floor pans for patch material.
    A clean parts car can be found cheap and even with transport cost will save you a bunch of money. Plus you end up with sellable parts to help recoup your costs.

14. George1979

George1979 New Member

Thanks Blue, yeah I’ve been looking for one too, sad part is all I need is the frame rails.

Did you get your pans from C2C, classic to current?

I called classic industries and Kanters an they were no help. I just called Wildcat’s an they have a bunch of 4dr models so they are measuring now an doing the cross over stuff to see what can fit.

15. shooter65

shooter65 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I bought a trunk pan from c2c and ended up buying a pan from a parts car. C2c is far too thin and aren't a find fit anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bluefury361

bluefury361 Old Man with a Hat

I'm pretty sure all 69/70/71 C body frame rails and trunk panels will interchange. My 69 300 and 69 Fury suburban were the same.

Yes, C2C. The only game around for C body sheet metal. Problem is.... They just don't get it right. Your best off finding a good donor car, or fabricating the panels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 71Polara383

71Polara383 Kid with ballcap FCBO Gold Member

I got some frame rails here in Illinois!