Need some help with drum brakes

Stormrider

Reaction score
My 68 sport fury rear drum brake shoe detached or the bonded [material came loose and my drum is now chewed up. I swapped the fronts out to Disc brakes years ago and still have the front drums. Will the front drums work on the rear if they are 2 inch like the back drums?

Im pretty sure rock auto has those fairly cheap...like around $40ea. I cannot speak to the quality of them as I have not yet ordered them.

Thanks,
i looked on rock auto under 1968 plymouth and they have no 2 inch just the larger ones. My original question will front fit on the back was based of this from rock auto.
CENTRIC 12363013 C-TEK Standard Drum Info
FitsFront; 11" Drum; Motor Wheel; Police & Taxi
orFront; Sedan; Wagon; Front Drum brakes; Rear Drum brakes; Motor Wheel; 11" Drum; Except 440 Engine; Except Police & Taxi; Heavy Duty

It states will fit both front or rear, which made me think do front and rear match up.

Are you asking if the drum will fit or the shoes? Either way I'm pretty sure it's a no.

I used 1980's D150 drums on my 66 New Yorker. Same dimensions as the Cbody but they don't have the spring around the outside. I can't remember what the shoe width was.

Kevin

If the drum will fit. I think its just worded wrong
everyone else list a front part number thats different than the rear part number. I was just in a d100 forum as they to have a hard time finding 2 inch drums. I am finding them for 69 and up. found a raybesto 2955r on rock auto for a 1971 fury that someone used on a 1967 D100, not sure I want to take that chance.

Hadn't considered pickup truck drums! Used to be that the springs around the drums were there to allegedly keep them from cracking from excessive heat in hard/continued use?

Usually, the front drums/shoes were wider in the front than on the rear. I believe that when the shoe width is the same, f/r, as on the 11x3 brakes, the front and rear drums are the same replacement part number? Have to check on that, though.

Chrysler used bonded shoes, OEM, as I recall, with GM using riveted shoes exclusively? I believe it all depends upon the quality of the end product. Seems like I've seen some riveted shoes break at one pair of the rivets? Each type has their good and not-so-good points, by observation.

CBODY67

The springs were anti-vibration - drums often moan especially in reverse.

I believe my NOS shoes I recently installed on my Monaco rear are rivetted, but I could be wrong.

stormrider,
Ross , who is smart enough to know, gave you my information.....
A Plymouth Sport Fury has two brake systems:
The Light Duty : which has 11" x 2 3/4" on the Front and 11" x 2" on the Rear.......
The Heavy Duty: which has 11" x 3" on the Front
and 11" x 2 1/2" on the Rear.......

All four are VERY different -- None are interchangeable
--- and NO Dodge Truck Brake Drum will interchange naturally, without modification.......

I have all of the Brake Drums ++ N.O.S. ++ U.S.A. made
++ And ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes for all of the above.... CRITICAL, because this new garbage will rip up Brake Drums to smithereens....
++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ is the nicest, softest, smoooooothest braking surface known to mankind...
That can ONLY be ++ N.O.S. ++

So, if you want to do it correctly, and treat your car right (I also have wheel cylinders and all the brake hardware, if it got chewed up...

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935...... New York.....

stormrider,
Ross , who is smart enough to know, gave you my information.....
A Plymouth Sport Fury has two brake systems:
The Light Duty : which has 11" x 2 3/4" on the Front and 11" x 2" on the Rear.......
The Heavy Duty: which has 11" x 3" on the Front
and 11" x 2 1/2" on the Rear.......

All four are VERY different -- None are interchangeable
--- and NO Dodge Truck Brake Drum will interchange naturally, without modification.......

I have all of the Brake Drums ++ N.O.S. ++ U.S.A. made
++ And ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes for all of the above.... CRITICAL, because this new garbage will rip up Brake Drums to smithereens....
++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ is the nicest, softest, smoooooothest braking surface known to mankind...
That can ONLY be ++ N.O.S. ++

So, if you want to do it correctly, and treat your car right (I also have wheel cylinders and all the brake hardware, if it got chewed up...

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935...... New York.....

I don't know whether a D150 drum will fit his car or not but I do know that they fit my New Yorker.

Kevin

Listen to this guy, mobileparts, he is the real deal when it comes to REAL brake parts. You won’t be disappointed...

- another satisfied customer

Another satisfied customer here of Craig @mobileparts. He is the man when it comes to quality parts for our rides. He also has the knowledge of all the different applications for our cars. During this unprecedented time we are in we should be directing our business to these small, independent businesses.

Im pretty sure rock auto has those fairly cheap...like around $40ea. I cannot speak to the quality of them as I have not yet ordered them.
I have, and one worked, the other was tighter than crap. Shoes adjusted all the way in, and the drum turned purple, it got hot. Dragged like a sonuvabitch, swapped it to the other side, and before I even got it on all the way I knew it was fubar.

Hey Ross, mrfury68, Scott/ Locumob, and Kevin / twostick,
Thanxxx for the shout outs & support & your continued business and friendship,
Wanna hear a funny one ???! Paul from PA. With a 1953 Oldsmobile needs a Front Universal Joint.
Gets wrong one from Napa, of course. I tell him there is no Chineseum one for that -- and not reproduced. He says it is not Chineseum. I said Read the box. "Oh yeah, made in China"....
I told him that I have it -- N.O.S. U.S.A. made -- $40!!!
He disappeared...
Two weeks later , he reappears, and tells me he got wrong ones from Jegs and Summit. I said, all those outfits CAN have is wrong listed Chineseum garbage..
He asks for the RearTransmission Seal, which fits 1952 - 1954 Oldsmobile with Hydramatic ONLY -- I have it... He replies, "you know, none of them even have a listing on it...". I said, "STAY OUT OF WUHAN;
You see what they can do to the world......"
Fourth attempt -- or maybe more -- He is finally sending me a check for $40 + $25 + $8 shipping =
$ 73.00 total !!!! I think he spent more than that on shipping and returns !!!!!!
Stay safe all, Yours, Craig.....

The issue of "pickup truck brakes" intrigued me, so I went to www.rockauto.com to investigate. What I found was even more interesting! 12"x3" brakes for B/D-series 1/2 ton pickups, in the middle '80s and back into the middle '70s. The 3/4 ton and such brakes on a 1/2 ton pickup, for many years. ONLY thing was the wheel's bolt circle, in many cases 5x5.5, not 5x4.5 . . . had to go back a few model years to get to the more normal pattern. BUT, in order to put the 12" brakes on anything other than their OEM application, you'd need to know which rear axle they attached to. Obviously the 12" brakes were on a Dana/Spicer axle rather than the normal Chrysler 8.75" axle, I suspect.

BUT going back into the '74 model year, there were 5x4.5 bolt pattern on 11x2.5" Dodge pickup truck brake drums. Not sure why a car 11x2.50 drum would fit, but a pickup truck 22x2.5 drum would not, with the same wheel stud bolt circle specs? Only OTHER thing would be the thickness of the friction material on the brake shoes or perhaps the minimum length of the adjuster mechanisms, both of which might be suspected to be very similar due to the engineering hard points in the design.

NOW, I have nothing against using quality NOS parts, as long as they are available, but that pipeline will dry up at some time in the future. I also know that we've got many generations who grew up with 4-wheel disc brakes on everything. But unless one is in mountainous regions, or other operations where total brake fade can be not-desired, the OEM Chrysler drum brakes served us pretty well, back then, when the main things in brake performance were the friction interfaces between the tires and the pavement AND having the skills to keep them from sliding too much in a panic stop. Which makes an upgraded drum brake system a little better alternative to the aftermarket disc brakes, to me.

Back then, too, my observation was that Chrysler had some of the best drum brake performance of any vehicle, back then. I got spoiled. By comparison, GM brakes would not stop well if they even got close to a mud puddle, until they were dried out! When I upgraded the OEM brakes on my '77 Camaro to the 9C1-COPO Nova police pads (which also spec'd for a Cadillac limo) AND then put the '81 Z/28 Export-spec (and '77-only Monte Carlo) 11x2 rear brakes on it, THEN the brake pedal was near the top AND it stopped "as well as my '66 Chrysler" did. That was back when Wilwood was just doing light-weight brakes for serious drag race cars. BTAIM

So that's where my interests are, just looking to the future. No more, no less.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

...the OEM Chrysler drum brakes served us pretty well, back then, when the main things in brake performance were the friction interfaces between the tires and the pavement AND having the skills to keep them from sliding too much in a panic stop. Which makes an upgraded drum brake system a little better alternative to the aftermarket disc brakes, to me.

Yes, they did, however the one element that you're not adding into this observation that I believe should temper your opinion is the rise in traffic density, accompanied by the reduction in safe following distances that most are guilty of due to the perceived improvement in braking systems.

To quote someone I respect:

"Just some thoughts."

;)

Check this out cbody67
http://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36401
In This write up they list the raybestos 2955r as an option for the D100 up to 1967, it is also listed on rock auto for a 1971 fury. Will it work on a on 68 fury ? I dont know. Also as stated above I put front disc on years ago and took off 11 x 2 drums so this car had 11 x 2 front and back which appears to be odd based on what mobilparts stated. I still have the front drums and they measure 2 inch, are they original I dont know.
I want thank all of you for your help.
Very good forum.

Back