Need to Read; 1977 - 1979 MOPAR CB Radio Operation Manual

Robert Rogers

Reaction score
Radio Model No. 4048569 -
AM & FM Work Well -
Pulling the Squelch knob selects to the CB (I think)
I still cant get output from the CB even adjusting the squelch.

CB-4048569.jpg

You mean it won't x-mit? Or won't "listen in"?

CBODY67

I can't get any CB ability.
Funny, the squelch works on the BC radio reception.
The row of led's light across when mic is keyed

Although your picture shows the radio on a bench, is it in the car when you're trying these things? If in the vehicle, what type of antenna? OEM power antenna or a separate CB antenna WITH the SWR correctly set?

CBODY67

No its on the bench but thats not the same radio
I've a welding rod for antenna (unshielded)

The CB antenna is a separate item from the normal AM/FM antenna. The length of the CB "whip" is important, which relates to the SWR ratio, for optimum performance.

CBODY67

Not to listen to CB
It won't output because I don't know what switch activates it
I really need to read an Op manual
The 1977 79 car owners manual may have what I need

Last edited:
My point is that unless you have a good CB antenna hooked to it, and with the SWR adjusted in a decent manner, then "output" might not happen as desired. Just like an "accessory" under-dash CB would be, in that respect.

The OEM factory power AM/FM/CB antennas were termed "tri-band" and had the "load" in one of the antenna mast sections. You might search www.allpar.com for articles on these factory radios, with respect to operation and such.

CBODY67

Have you tried pushing the button labeled CB? Just a thought. And turned the volume up?

This is for an AM version, but should help.

IMG_20180610_174120.jpg

Last edited:
Correct on pushing the CB button in but, the radio will continue to play until someone breaks the squelch level that you select. So the radio plays until someone talks on the CB. I have this radio as new on my '78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe.
100_0398.JPG

Your not going to get anywhere with a piece of welding rod. If that worked I would not have a $80 anttenna bolted to my mirror. It will not receive more than a mile or two on a good day, with a good anttenna. So unless you are next to a truck stop or truck terminal or I interstate you are not getting any signal, worse for transmitting.

I'm not familiar with these factory combo radios but I do know a little about CB radios. You need the correct impedance (50 ohms) and length antenna for CB frequency waves connected you won't be able to receive or transmit. The best length is 102", I'm sure you seen these "whip" antennas. Not feasible for most applications so antenna manufacturers have wire wound coils to shorten the physical lenght while still having electrical length of 102". If you have a correct antenna and the switches in the correct positions you should have static with the squelch turned all the way down.

I defer to what the others have said, and I'm about midway through installing one in my own car (Magnum) backed with an amplifier.

How do you know it isn't transmitting? Without the proper antenna it seems you'd pretty much need a receiver within a few feet before condemning the radio.

IMG_20181006_092205.jpg

I had a factory CB in my 78 NYB. Too many things wrong with it besides not receiving and transmitting. The tuning system didn't work. Antenna wasn't repairable and couldn't find a working replacement.

I had 2 choices....

Give it away or take a big *** hammer to it. I gave it to a friend and I'm sure it's still sitting on his work bench in Indiana.

Not worth the trouble to fix plus they sound like sh*t when they are working.

My 50 gazillion light aftermarket stereo and my IPOD is what I listen to on the rare occasions I even turn on the music. I would rather listen to the 450hp rolling down the road.

I can remember back in 70's when CB's were the thing.

Breaker, breaker 19.

I never had one until my 78 NYB.

If I recall those factory CB's were almost a $650! option. A $650 piece of sh*t that is! Your lucky the am-fm part works in it. Let it go, before that part takes a crap.

Just leave the mike there for nostalgia. You probably "fizzed" the cb by now anyway, by cueing the mike a thousand times with no antenna (or that piece of wire) hooked up. I'm sure @70bigblockdodge can tell you how that happens.
I believe they came with a special "Loaded" antenna from the factory and unless you have it, it won't work.

My advice.... As long as it fills the hole and the FM radio plays, leave it alone.

Back