Need to replace the carpet

mag162

Reaction score
Now that my seats are out and the pans are going in. I need to replace the carpet on my 67 wagon. Where is a good source for the carpet.?

Wherever you get the carpet from you'll probably have to get 4dr carpet and have someone local make it up for the cargo area. I haven't seen it made up for wagons.

I just got mine from stock interiors also. You will have to splice in a piece on the rear sides of the back seat. I also bought 3 yards of matching carpet by the yard for the rear to replace the vinyl areas.

Once you figure this out, you should give us a run-over. I have been thinking about adding padding to mine, but I don't want to tear it up.

I found interior carpet on rockauto.com for a 67 chrysler Newport. You can get a 2 piece carpet with and without padding. Im still looking for the backhalf behind the seats all the way up to the back folding door.

Last edited:
I found interior carpet on rockauto.com for a 67 chrysler Newport. You can get a 2 piece carpet with and without padding. Im still looking for the backhalf behind the seats all the way up to the back folding door.
Rock Auto sells only ACC carpet just like everyone else does.

You'll be better off buying the same carpet from a place like Stock Interiors (link in my post above). RA might be OK, but you will probably get a better price and service from Stock Interiors plus you can order additional yardage for the rear. You can also get samples from SI before you order to be sure of color.

Fair enough, just that they claim to have the largest collection of factory upholstery books so I presume they'd have exact measgements?

SMS makes and sells a lot of different products. Quality is good, but they have a reputation of being hard to deal with, expensive, and kind of slow. My personal experience has been good.

From what I have read over the years, there was only two large places making molded carpet... Trim Parts and Auto Custom Carpet. Trim Parts was bought by Auto Custom Carpet last fall, making them the only large supplier of molded carpet that I know of.

There may be others making "cut and sewn" carpet, but no one making molded carpet in any quantity.

If you want to buy carpet from SMS, feel free. It's probably going to be more expensive, but it's going to be the same ACC carpet that you can buy from a lot of other vendors.

I just got mine from stock interiors also. You will have to splice in a piece on the rear sides of the back seat. I also bought 3 yards of matching carpet by the yard for the rear to replace the vinyl areas.
Where you need to splice at the rear seats - are you able to harvest the piece needed from a section that ends up being under the seats? I ask because I do not need the extra material for my cargo area, and I think that the spliced pieces are a very small amount. Looks like I have to buy an extra yard if I want extra material, and that seems like that would be a waste.

Thanks!

I don’t remember seeing carpet for my 77 chrysler wagon anywhere buy SMS. I got seat fabric, headliner and carpet from them. I needed an extra 7 or 8 feet for the third seat footwell and seatbacks and door cards. I got a cool tip on the carpet from the guy that did the upholstery. He said to lay the contact cement on heavy and after it sits for a few minutes it will soften up the carpet and make it quite moldable. It worked.

I too heard they were slow and I asked them on the phone ‘you have a rep for being slow, how long will this take’. The lady said they have a bad rap for speed because people order repop door cards and they can only make so many. I believe she said some can take a year to make. She said all the raw materials I need they already have in stock and I will have them in no time. She was correct. The first two seat rows carpet was molded. No idea where it came from but it was fast.

Back