Need Transmission advice

Reaction score
After fixing a long term electrical problem with the help of forum members my son’s 68 New Yorker’s rubber transmission cooling line blew apart filling the engine compartment with fluid. Since it’s empty I decided to drop the pan check for any damage and change filter. My question is whether I should adjust the bands. Since this is another thing I don’t know anything about I’d like to know what I should be looking for. The transmission seems to shift OK so perhaps I should leave well alone. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Thanks Scott

Last edited:
If it is not broken---do not fix it.
If there are very few or no metal filings in the tranny pan,just put in a new filter and button her up.
Sure adjusting the bands is good preventative maintenance but not absolutley needed unless your son tows or does burnouts,LOL!
Just make sure the kickdown linkage is adjusted properly.
Run the normal dexron/mercon fluid with no additives.
A good working 727 should not need additives--but that is my personal opinion.

ATF+4 Mopar trans fluid is an option but can be expensive. Works well and always carry a couple bottles in the trunk for travelling...not all places carry it when driving through the middle of nowhere.

In addition to cbarges advice, make sure you fit proper high pressure lines to the transmission.

In addition to cbarges advice, make sure you fit proper high pressure lines to the transmission.
Oh,and on the pressure line I do a single flare on the steel line where I attach the rubber line and double clamp,so the rubber line will not blow of ever again LOL!

Oh,and on the pressure line I do a single flare on the steel line where I attach the rubber line and double clamp,so the rubber line will not blow of ever again LOL!
He had to buy a aluminum radiator after someone backed into him. The Chinese radiator came with a welded on male fitting to which i have not been able to find the correct female. Don't know whats up there, but i just fit the rubber line over that male fitting and that's where it blew up, my fault. I'm going to give another fitting a shot. I believe i know how to adjust the linkage but if you can give me a quick reminder i'd be grateful.
thanks scott

You can only adjust one of the bands with the oil pan dropped, the other one requires dropping the valve body down and out of the way. So as mentioned unless you really feel it needs to be done then just leave it alone, fresh fluid and filter and you're back on the road.

no goop, and a real easy torque not make the gasket pucker

I saw pre bent lines just the other day for $50 dolla.

or go up to vatozone and in the back on the endcaps there is a selection of brake lines - I think its the #560 green tag if you can bend your own line

they should be metal line the whole way from rad to transmission.

try not to die -

- saylor

You can only adjust one of the bands with the oil pan dropped, the other one requires dropping the valve body down and out of the way. So as mentioned unless you really feel it needs to be done then just leave it alone, fresh fluid and filter and you're back on the road.

No need to mess with the valve body at all. The low/reverse band adjuster is readily accessible with the pan dropped and the kickdown band adjuster is external, no need to even drop the pan.

You're already in there so I would adjust them. It's not a difficult procedure to do and it's part of a proper trans service. It requires an inch pound torque wrench and an 8 point socket for the square head adjuster screw.

Moparts on the Web - Main Index

Kevin

Back